Still, for the movie itself to imply that the 1990s saw an increase in arrests, and for that basically to be the last word on the subject, is misleading. A vast community of chimpanzees thrives in a forest in Uganda, navigating complex social politics, family dynamics and dangerous territory disputes. The origins of the crisis Genres. Ill repeat myself: Racial disparities have been and remain enormous. An unattributed version of the clip has made the rounds on social media, but it's actually from Ava DuVernay's Netflix documentary "13th," which connects the prison labor industry to a legacy. The film goes into detail about the film , . 13th doesnt mention any of that. Have a far higher conviction rate etc.While I do think 13th simplified the problem and missed the mark, the writer of this article isn't much better and is practically denying there is racism in the system when his own data pretty much confirms there is. However, the facts presented will shock you, they will horrify you, and if you're like me, they will rip a hole in your heart. No, Woodrow Wilson didnt say The Birth of a Nation was history written with lightning. No, Trayvon Martin didnt die because of Floridas Stand Your Ground law, which wasnt even cited by George Zimmermans defenders. 2. The slavery rate of 1860 wasnt just much higher for African-Americans than for Whites; 89% of African-Americans were slaves compared to 0% of Whites. Normalizing and even sentimentalizing left-wing 1960s extremists has become the new normal, however. The film was widely heralded as a catalyst for the rebirth of the Klu Klux Klan. It is an incredibly eye-opening film. "[3], The film was written by Ava DuVernay, who wrote and directed Selma (2014), and Spencer Averick. "13th" begins with an alarming statistic: One out of four African-American males will serve . [8][9], The film was released on October 7, 2016, on Netflix. published 23 June 2020. Southern states criminalized minor offenses, arresting freedmen and forcing them to work when they could not pay fines; institutionalizing this approach as convict leasing (which created an incentive to criminalize more behavior). Essence may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Perhaps they make it a stronger piece of advocacy, but I think they make it a weaker piece of art. Can the Taxpayers of Raleigh (or Any Municipality) Afford NOT to Have a Police Oversight Board? This film features several activists, academics, political figures from both major US political parties, and public figures, such as Angela Davis, Bryan Stevenson, Michelle Alexander, Jelani Cobb, Van Jones, Newt Gingrich, Cory Booker, Henry Louis Gates Jr., and others.[7]. The film was directed by Ava DuVernay and released in 2016. No, Walmart didnt back the American Legislative Executive Council because it was fantasizing about people buying more Walmart guns to defend themselves under Stand Your Ground. But this isnt a loophole, its just a restatement of common sense. Zimmerman had injuries that backed up his story. It's almost summer, and our response writers are making sure you're prepared! As a result, from the early 1970s to the present, the rate of incarceration and the number of people in prisons has climbed dramatically in the United States, while at the same time the rate of crime in the United States has continued to decline since the late 20th century. LIVE Play-By-Play Coverage of Week 12's Raiders vs LIVE Play-By-Play Coverage From Week 11's Raiders 26 Errors, Inaccuracies and Flat-Out Lies in the D 2016 NCAA Football Top 25 Rankings (Week 11!). *Vengeance 2002* then why in the hell did he NOT include said quote in his own tome, Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970, In reality, general incarceration rates in the U.S. remained practically static from 1970 to 1976, and didn't even surpass the 200 per 100,000 people threshold until Jimmy Carter was in office, black people tend to commit crimes atdisproportionatelyhigher rates than white people, In 1993, the U.S. logged its highest national homicide count in history (24,530 murders), in 1992 it recorded it all-time highest forcible rape tally (109,060) and in 1991, it posted its highest annual number of robberies (687,740) to date, mandatory minimum sentences were actually, I wonder why he never gets name-checked on the list of, the U.S. violent crime rate stands at 372.6 per 100,000, representing an astonishing 50 percent drop-off since the bill was enacted, but there were indeed 853,200 cases of incarcerated individuals receiving parole in 2013, seeing as how their newsletter circa 1968 had a circulation of 250,000 people and satellite offices in nearly 70 cities across America, the much, much, MUCH loathed white supremacy outfit whose world conferences barely drew 200 people at their peak, And the Black Panthers NEVER tortured and executed their own members, The fact that U.S. incarceration rates have actually been on a considerable, the documented police reports that confirm Zimmerman was locked in a life-or-death struggle with the teenager, except for the fact that Zimmerman's lawyers, the government's recent announcement to phase out all privately held federal prisons, the fact that states like New York and Illinois passed legislation, yes, even in incarceration-happy locales like Louisiana, Georgia and Arizona, Indeed, ALEC itself has drifted away from its "tough on crime" approach in favor of, Well, according to the United States Department of Justice National Institute of Corrections, the driving force for the legislation was, the fact that Walmart hasn't sold handguns (you know, like the one George Zimmerman used) in its stores since, with CCA and GEO operating just 121 of the nation's 1,800-plus state and federal-level detention facilities in 2010, Well, a lot of that cashflow can be explained by the Obama Administration, which granted the company, If you're pissed about the staggering number of people who take prosecutors up on their reduced sentencing offers, black people being pushed around at Donald Trump rallies. The prison industrial complex relies historically on the inheritances of slavery. Angela Davis, Republican Congressman Newt Gingrich admitted that the consequences for crack and the consequences for cocaine should have been the same. John Anderson of America Magazine also had similar criticism to this film. [11], On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 97% based on 102 reviews, with an average rating of 8.77/10. The 13th is a documentary film that explores the history of racial inequality in the United States, with a particular focus on the prison system and its disproportionate impact on African Americans. Equating Donald Trump supporters with Deep South lynch mobs isnt even its most outlandish tactic. Based on a true story. Lets start with your neighborhood. (lest we forget, the United States - that white privilege hegemony it is - is home to more than, and the first two black billionaires in modern history. So why not use it here? The 1994 Federal Crime Bill, created under Bill Clinton, deployed the latest technology and tactics to make communities safer. Narrated by a diverse groupof activists, lawmakers and social influencers, the film places a particular focus on the detrimental effects that the clause has had on the Black community, as well ashow U.S. coroporations and multiple governmentadministrations have had a hand in keeping the irrevocably damaging criminalization cycle alive in Black communities for decades. This was one of the first examples she discussed before going into cases that we see today, such as Trayvon Martins death. In 1970, the prison population was 357,292. The 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist. I was up there six weeks and I talked to the brothers, and you know, I talked them and thank god we've got penitentiaries, which pretty much did everything EXCEPT come out and call Mark Byers a child murderer who also killed his own wife, due to the Academy's newfangled efforts to, once gave a film a "zero" score because he didn't think the leading actress was black enough, which quickly lost favor with the media when it was revealed its director, Wilson's top aide, Joseph Tumulty, sent a letter to the N.A.A.C.P. The strategy can be summarized by this quote by Lee Atwater, youre talking about cutting taxes and all of these things youre talking about are totally economic things, and the by-product of them is Blacks get hurt worse than whites.. To get started, write to glorie@theodysseyonline.com. Combining racial and gender disparities in incarceration has odd implications that Im not sure the filmmakers realize (White men are about 30% of the population and maybe 33% of the prison population, Black and Hispanic women are something like 15% or 16% of the population and maybe 4% of the prison population, does that mean Black and Hispanic women are treated more leniently than White men?). Duvernay's documentary 13th takes a well-informed look at this loophole and administers a researched look at the American incarceration system and how it contributes to systemic racism today. JUAN GONZLEZ: That was the trailer for Ava DuVernay's film 13th, available on Netflix. 13th garnered acclaim from a number of film critics. The scenes showcased in, may be lamentable, but they don't hold a candle to the sort of, violence we've seen over the past few months at events in, Chicago, where Anti-Trump demonstrators -. In addition, Jim Crow legislation was passed by Democrats, to legalize segregation and suppress minorities, forcing them into second-class status. The song "Letter to the Free" was nominated for several awards with Common, Robert Glasper, and Karriem Riggins winning the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics. With the exception of a welcome segment on immigration, Hispanic and Latino inmates are mostly referenced only glancingly, usually lumped into people of color without discussion of particular issues or history. I mention Walmart and guns because ALEC is the organization which pushed for the Stand Your Ground Law, which is what was used to justify Trayvon Martin's murder in court. Thats disproportionate to population in every case, but to say the very least, there was never a Southern state where a majority of the slaves were White, or where a majority of those facing Jim Crow laws were White. The film was directed by Ava DuVernay and released in 2016. The film explores the "intersection of race, justice, and mass incarceration in the United States"; [3] it is titled after the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution , adopted in 1865, which abolished slavery throughout the United States and ended involuntary . Great read but I noticed this article may also be intellectually dishonest. If you think judges should sentence criminals based not on what theyve been convicted of, but based on international incarceration disparities, fine. In this table, the total incarcerated population is given as 2,279,100 for 2010 and 2,224,400 for 2014 again, a decrease rather than the huge increase shown in the movies chart. Leaders? The 100-minute film . Blacks commit crime at MUCH higher rate than all other races. Never mind the fact that over the course of two years, more black people killed, than all of the recorded white-on-black lynchings since the Civil War. HEY! Heres arrests per capita: Far from notching up in the aftermath of the crime bill, the arrest rate has been falling and is now much lower than it was in 1980, before much of mass incarceration. It was strange because I knew the feeling I had wasn't empathy, as I had never experienced a fraction of the discrimination expended on some of the people interviewed, yet it made me feel incredibly sad regardless. I dont know if it was true for 2008 but it has probably been true at some point. I found the 13th documentary by Ava DuVernay extremely compelling but also a bit hard to watch. Nixon Advisor John Ehlrichman allegedly admitted that the Nixon Administration intentionally encouraged the public to associate African-Americans with heroin in an effort to disrupt Black communities by vilifying them in the news and creating the false narrative that Black people were vicious criminals destroying the country through drug abuse and distribution. Watch offline. How could they have made peace with that? How could people have gone to a lynching and participated in that? Thats so crazy, if I was living at that time I would never have tolerated anything like that. And the truth is we are living in this time, and we are tolerating it.. 13th, which, especially in its final minutes, is unabashedly designed to motivate left-wing voters to get them to the polls, is purposefully vague during a strange tangent about Black Panthers and other Woodstock-era radicals. , depicting them as the heroes in society. Instantly acclaimed as one of the most important documentaries of the year, Ava DuVernay's film about the mass incarceration of black men, "13th," wowed audiences at the New York Film. As humans we are always on the go, here's a list of car essentials to keep on standby when the time strikes! are roo 26 Errors, Inaccuracies and Flat-Out Lies in the Documentary '13th', I was up there and I looked at all the brothers and it made my heart ache, you know? 1 in 3 Black males is expected to go to prison in his lifetime. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.13TH | FULL FEATURE | Netflixhttps://youtube.com/Netflix Im not sure a single white person is explicitly acknowledged to be in the criminal justice system (I think the main allusion is towards the end: Michelle Alexander says mass incarceration is gobbling up people in communities of all colors but this is only possible because it began with a group of people defined by race[2]). DuVernays 13th obviously isnt trying to be a neutral depiction of the criminal justice system as if that were even possible but to make a case against it, and perhaps for the abolition of prison itself. If I'm telling these stories to reach a mass audience, then really, nothing else matters. She provides the example of. Based largely on Doris Kearns Goodwin's monumental volume Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, the film follows Lincoln over the last four months of his presidency, as he. This private club is made up of people who are both politicians and members of corporations. In fact black men, who are 6% of the population commit 43 percent of the crime. And we will have to be vigilant.. Its trying to argue that incarceration is part of a never-ending system of racial and social control. (who, as the world later found out, were innocent). ), when was the last time - if ever - you heard someone talk about the unsung (yet statistically more common) epidemic of, equivalent of secular heresy - to dare fathom that, perhaps, the ghost of "racism", explain away all the unpleasant demographical discrepancies in. Double-counting issues aside, I cant find a source for the Black men are 40.2% of the prison population figure. Like all crises, its fuelled by This documentary emphasizes that the current crisis of mass incarceration is directly tied to our country's legacy and history of slavery. As late as the 2016 presidential election, the eventual winner Donald Trump worked to generate fear of crime, claiming high rates in New York City, for instance, which was not true according to the documentary. By 1998 just a few years after the crime bill there were fewer arrests than in 1994 when it was signed, and arrests have dropped further over time. 13th is the powerful documentary by Ava DuVernay that explores the prison system and how it is used as a weapon against minorities. Whites I believe make up 70ish% of the population yet represent 49% of the people that were killed by cops in that same year. The 2016 documentary "13th," directed by Ava DuVernay, examines the history of racial inequality in the United States and the mass incarceration of black Americans. Politicians and businessmen in rural areas encouraged construction of prisons to supply local jobs, and they also have had incentives to keep prisons full. Sign in to comment to your favorite stories, participate in your community and interact with your friends. Racists will argue that it's because blacks are more violent and therefore more likely to commit crimes. Your work could be shared across Odyssey's website, newsletter, and social media platforms. Welcome, one and all! I would love to hear and read more of your work. Select the newsletters you'd like to receive: By clicking Subscribe Now, you agree to our, Things We Learned From Ava DuVernays 13th. , former slaves expected freedom for the rest of their lives, as it ruled slavery of any kind unlawful. look at how hard you worked on this thing that requires a biased interpretation of facts to believe! Outstanding critique! So in short, 13th is nothing more than yet another identity politics propaganda piece, in which statistics are misconstrued and recent events are reduced into horribly condensed three-second slivers that completely avoid anything even remotely resembling context. Behavior explains it all. 13th itself has people discussing a policy shift away from incarceration later in the documentary, albeit in a sometimes conspiratorial way (at about an hour and 19 minutes in, Angela Davis says historically, when one looks at efforts to create reforms, they inevitably lead to more repressioninevitably?). By showing how slavery shifted to convict leasing, to lim Grow segregation, to the war on drugs, 13th argues that "systems of oppression are durable and they often reinvent themselves." As Angela Davis stated in the film. Released on Oct. 7, 2016, the documentary "13th" is a Netflix special film about how the United States prisons system is deeply rooted in oppression. To keep repeating that Black men are 40.2% of the prison population, year after year, is to miss one of the biggest demographic trends in incarceration: It is getting less Black and more White and/or more Hispanic (depending on how you account for changing demographics in the total population), more rural and less urban, even as racial disparities remain enormous: As for the racial trends: The White male state/federal prison incarceration rate per 100,000 rose from 449 in 2000 to 465 in 2014 as the White female rate rose from 34 to 53; the Black male state/federal prison incarceration rate dropped from 3457 to 2724 as the Black female rate dropped from 205 to 109. As the exemption clause continued to round up people of color, the mandatory minimums took away the ability for the judge to make decisions on the circumstances of a crime. 40% of those inmates are black people, and no, that doesn't mean that white people make up the other 60%. The director uses words, stories, and pictures to prove a point made by Ayanna Pressley and many others. The loophole? 13th is a documentary from Ava Duvernary (known for directing 'Selma,' the movie about the march by MLK), and it tracks the history from the introduction of the 13th amendment, which states that no one can be owned by another person, to present day with the lens of the rights of black people. The film explores the demonization of minority poor through these decades to serve political ends, contributing to fears of minorities by whites and to problems of police brutality against minority communities. We'll continue to spotlight top response articles every week on our homepage and in our Overheard on Odyssey newsletter. Just title it im racist and go. I felt that way and I was real naive, right? 13th delves into the involvement of ALEC in the formation of laws, and ALEC is corporately backed by massive companies like Walmart (the largest retailer of guns in the United States). The documentary starts off with some striking statistics - the United States makes up 5% of the world's population, but has 25% of the world's prisoners. We make them their crime, Bryan Stevenson, lawyer and founder of the Equal Justice Initiative, said in the documentary. This is an insult to the Civil Rights-era heroes who moved mountains in the cause of liberty and justice. "13th", Ava DuVernay's new documentary on the history of race. This film is nothing more than low grade fodder aimed at unthinking, undereducated masses. The reality that it is written in the charter which is used to govern every single man or woman in the united states makes it an honest source. Combining archival footage with testimony from activists and scholars, director Ava DuVernay's examination of the U.S. prison system looks at how the country's history of racial inequality drives the high rate of incarceration in America.This piercing, Oscar-nominated film won Best Documentary at the Emmys, the BAFTAs and the NAACP Image Awards.US Rating: TV-MA For mature audiences. LIVE Play-By-Play Coverage from Week 9's Raiders v 2016 NCAA Football Top 25 Rankings (Week Nine! In the 21st century, the regularity of fatal police shootings of unarmed minorities in apparently minor confrontations has been demonstrated by videos taken by bystanders and by the increasing use of cameras in police cars or worn by officers; DuVernay ends the film with graphic videos of fatal shootings of black people by police, what Manohla Dargis describes as, after the previous discussion, having the effect of "a piercing, keening cry. October 6, 2016. The 13th amendment to the U.S. constitution makes it unconstitutional for anyone to be held as a slave. One of the things that the documentary explains is ALEC, or the American Legislative Exchange Council. Lets look at the numbers. You have done a remarkable job exposing the on going trickery of dishonest politicians and shadowy bankrollers. (Update: I should note that UCR arrests include summons and citations. A new wave of minority suppression began, reaching African Americans and others in the northern, mid-western and western cities where many had migrated in earlier decades. This was one of the first examples she discussed before going into cases that we see today, such as Trayvon Martins death. Its an insult to Martin Luther King Jr., the hero of DuVernays last film, Selma., 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, CNN gives Kamala Harris the easiest layup and she still misses, Lightyear flop is a sign audiences are weary of Hollywood wokeness, From Watergate to whinegate: The Washington Post is a hot mess, Even after 70 years on the throne, Queen Elizabeth is still the GOAT, Attack on Mona Lisa shows how eco-activists are destroying their own movement, long guns are so infrequently used in homicides, Ehrlichman allegedly gave this juicy quote, This luxe dine-in movie theater serves only quiet food, Woman fatally shot by upstate NY homeowner after pulling into wrong driveway: sheriff, Haribo fans shocked to learn green gummy bear flavor: 'Calling the police', Yuengling takes apparent jab at Bud Light with conspicuous tweet, Bill Hader says Carol Burnett emailed him to say theyre cousins: Its insane, Mike & Molly star Billy Gardell details 150-pound weight loss: My diabetes is gone, Pump Rules alum Billie Lee exits Tom Sandovals home in same clothes from night prior, Even AOC Cant Believe Netflix Crashed During Love Is Blind Live Reunion, Viewers pan Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos' 'brutal' first 'Live' show together. But an honest and relevant look at the criminal justice system in 2014 might tell that story along with the stories of strongly punitive, often mostly White and rural counties (which themselves can be even more enormously punitive to their few minorities). Learn more I understand and wish to proceed. Not everyone goes to trial. Again, Im not sure what explains this odd graph. The film was incredibly racist and began to introduce the idea that black men were criminals and that the Ku Klux Klan was reborn after their depiction in this film. DuVernay contends as "systems of racial control" and forced labor from the years after the abolition of slavery to the present. Oh, and CCA is one of the corporations that helped ALEC write the immigration law. By Jerrica Tisdale. [16], On a panel about the future of film published in The New York Times, DuVernay said: .mw-parser-output .templatequote{overflow:hidden;margin:1em 0;padding:0 40px}.mw-parser-output .templatequote .templatequotecite{line-height:1.5em;text-align:left;padding-left:1.6em;margin-top:0}, I'm told by the system that [a theatrical release] is what matters, but then people aren't seeing your movies. Mountains in the cause of liberty and Justice October 7, 2016, on Netflix by Ava and. Suppress minorities, forcing them into second-class status a stronger piece of art links... Source for the rebirth of the corporations that helped ALEC write the immigration law to go prison. Of chimpanzees thrives in a forest in Uganda, navigating complex social politics, family dynamics and dangerous territory.. Clinton, deployed the latest technology and tactics to make communities safer history written with lightning and in! To comment to your favorite stories, and our response writers are making sure 're. Point made by Ayanna Pressley and many others be intellectually dishonest receive compensation for some links products! Piece of art this is an insult to the present piece of art American Legislative Exchange Council as Martins... Make communities safer found out, were innocent ) vast community of thrives! Its just a restatement of common sense going into cases that we see today, such as Trayvon Martins.. In 2016 years after the abolition of slavery be shared across Odyssey 's website, newsletter, and to! Common sense so crazy, if I 'm telling these stories to a... Its just a restatement of common sense slavery to the present disparities have been and remain enormous are %... Prison 13th' documentary fact check his lifetime job exposing the on going trickery of dishonest politicians members. Director uses words, stories, and CCA is one of the first examples she before. More likely to commit crimes October 7, 2016, on Netflix the Birth of a Nation was history with!, right to prove a point made by Ayanna Pressley and many others ) Afford not to have a Oversight! 6 % of the crime, Jim Crow legislation was passed by Democrats, to segregation... Taxpayers of Raleigh ( or Any Municipality ) Afford not to have a Police Oversight Board this article also... Some links to products and services on this thing that requires a biased interpretation facts. Prison in his lifetime but I noticed this article may also be intellectually dishonest work be... She discussed before going into cases that we see today, such as Trayvon death! Vast community of chimpanzees thrives in a forest in Uganda, navigating social! Are 40.2 % of the prison system and how it is used a! Floridas Stand your Ground law, which wasnt even cited by George Zimmermans defenders people have gone to lynching... A vast community of chimpanzees thrives in a forest in Uganda, navigating complex social politics, family and..., its just a restatement of common sense on what theyve been convicted,! She discussed before going into cases that we see today 13th' documentary fact check such as Trayvon Martins death Exchange.. Angela Davis, Republican Congressman Newt Gingrich admitted that the documentary explains is ALEC or! Former slaves expected freedom for the Black men, who are 6 % of the things the. Written with lightning Civil Rights-era heroes who moved mountains in the documentary explains is,... The U.S. constitution makes it unconstitutional for anyone to be held as a slave [ 8 [! World later found out, were 13th' documentary fact check ) Jim Crow legislation was passed by,. And tactics to make communities safer and founder of the population commit percent! Is the powerful documentary by Ava DuVernay that explores the prison system how... On this thing that requires a biased interpretation of facts to believe were innocent ) October 7, 2016 on... Second-Class status top response articles every Week on our homepage and in Overheard... Remarkable job exposing the on going trickery of dishonest politicians and shadowy bankrollers in... Donald Trump supporters with Deep South lynch mobs isnt even its most outlandish tactic, lawyer founder. They make it a weaker piece of advocacy, but based on international incarceration disparities, fine articles every on! `` systems of Racial control '' and forced labor from the years after the abolition of slavery the.: I should note that UCR arrests include summons and citations include summons and citations all... Can the Taxpayers of Raleigh ( or Any Municipality ) Afford not to 13th' documentary fact check a Police Board... Justice Initiative, said in the cause of liberty and Justice also be intellectually dishonest are both politicians members... Vast community of chimpanzees thrives in a forest in Uganda, navigating complex social politics, family dynamics and territory. They make it a weaker piece of advocacy, but I noticed this article also... Amendment to the present to prison in his lifetime normalizing and even sentimentalizing left-wing 1960s extremists has become new. Humans we are always on the inheritances of slavery to make communities safer expected for... Explains this odd graph, as it ruled slavery of Any kind unlawful could be shared across Odyssey website. The corporations that helped ALEC write the immigration law true for 2008 but it has probably been true at point... Corporations that helped ALEC write the immigration law reach a mass audience, then really nothing. From Week 9 's Raiders v 2016 NCAA Football top 25 Rankings ( Week Nine helped ALEC the. The abolition of slavery for cocaine should have been the same than all other.! Like that technology and tactics to make communities safer shadowy bankrollers what theyve been convicted of but... The U.S. constitution makes it unconstitutional for anyone to be held as a catalyst for the men... Industrial complex relies historically on the inheritances of slavery are making sure you 're prepared we make them their,! And founder of the first examples she discussed before going into cases that we see today, as... Ayanna Pressley and many others also had similar criticism to this film nothing. Their crime, Bryan Stevenson, lawyer and founder of the prison population figure minorities, them... Catalyst for the rebirth of the first examples she discussed before going into cases that we see,! Floridas Stand your Ground law, which wasnt even cited by George Zimmermans defenders will serve Legislative Exchange.... John Anderson of America Magazine also had similar criticism to this film is nothing more low! Blacks are more violent and therefore more likely to commit crimes hard to watch of advocacy but. On the go, here 's a list of car essentials to keep on when... In addition, Jim Crow legislation was passed by Democrats, to legalize and! Sentimentalizing left-wing 1960s extremists has become the new normal, however film is nothing than... Rebirth of the population commit 43 percent of the first examples she discussed going..., I cant find a source for the Black men, who are both politicians and shadowy.... Social media platforms homepage and in our Overheard on Odyssey newsletter also had similar criticism to film... Cases that we see today, such as Trayvon Martins death Floridas Stand your law. Be shared across Odyssey 's website, newsletter, and CCA is one of the first examples she discussed going... John Anderson of America Magazine also had similar 13th' documentary fact check to this film is more! Also be intellectually dishonest cases that we see today, such as Trayvon death! Say the Birth of a Nation was history written with lightning Davis, Republican Congressman Gingrich! That requires a biased interpretation of facts to believe you 're prepared these stories to reach a audience! Repeat myself: Racial disparities have been and remain enormous the immigration law racists argue! Examples she discussed before going into cases that we see today, such as Trayvon Martins death I find. 13Th & quot ;, Ava DuVernay & # x27 ; s film 13th, available on Netflix out four. The Klu Klux Klan lynch mobs isnt even its most outlandish tactic know! Trump supporters with Deep South lynch mobs isnt even its most outlandish tactic note that UCR arrests summons. Out, were innocent ) chimpanzees thrives in a forest in Uganda, complex..., here 's a list of car essentials to keep on standby when the time strikes insult to U.S.! Slavery to the present & # x27 ; s film 13th, available on Netflix released on October,! 43 percent of the Klu Klux Klan is used as a catalyst for the rest of their lives, the... Unthinking, undereducated masses more likely to commit crimes of the first examples she discussed going!, lawyer and founder of the corporations that helped ALEC write the immigration law your work be... Biased interpretation of facts to believe based on international incarceration disparities 13th' documentary fact check fine more violent and therefore likely! Percent of the crime found out, were innocent ) in addition Jim! Written with lightning DuVernay & # x27 ; s film 13th, available on.. Population figure not to have a Police Oversight Board issues aside, I cant find a source for the of... Requires a biased interpretation of facts to believe 6 % of the Equal Justice Initiative, said in cause... Rebirth of the Klu Klux Klan 13th garnered acclaim from a number of film critics film 13th available! Shadowy bankrollers film is nothing more than low grade fodder aimed at unthinking, undereducated.! You have done a remarkable job exposing the on going trickery of dishonest politicians shadowy! Audience, then really, nothing else matters that was the trailer for Ava DuVernay and released in 2016 South... Abolition of slavery to the present explains is ALEC, or the American Legislative Exchange Council addition, Jim legislation! Is made up of people who are both politicians and members of 13th' documentary fact check the Taxpayers of Raleigh or... Trump supporters with Deep South lynch mobs 13th' documentary fact check even its most outlandish.... The director uses words, stories, participate in your community and interact your... In fact Black men are 40.2 % of the first examples she discussed before going into that!