Table 1. I remember reading a service bulletin about that. Slight shifting issues when decelerating . If they also are leaking oil, it is a good time to replace all three and help to shore up the engine cooling for many more thousands of miles of reliable travel. The most common causes include coolant leaks, a faulty radiator, or a broken thermostat. Typically, the issue will start with a broken thermostat, problems with the radiator, or even coolant leaks. Love it would not trade it. Subaru. We are the second owners of this car, and bought it from a local Subaru dealer about 5 months ago. No, the 2014 Outback is not a good value since there are engine problems. 2014 Subaru Outback sub frame need replaced . Has a great ride and feel, and gets good gas mileage for Its class. Failed Self Diagnostic Cycle. That seemed to fix that drip. 2023 Vehicle History Inc. All Rights Reserved. According to Car Problem Zoo, the second most commonly reported problem on the Outback is windshield cracking - the windshields are prone to cracks and failures. 2014: 81/100. The remaining airbag-related recalls include three between model years 2016 and 2017 due to the airbag control module being incompatible with the airbag. Common problems found on the 2014 Subaru Outback include excessive oil consumption, headlight issues, as well as shuddering while shifting gears. It has always been very reliable and I've never had a problem with it. I have taken my car out of state serval times. We love our Subaru vehicles! The recall began on January 7, 2020. He's a musician. 0:00 / 3:56 AC DONT WORK ON SUBARU OUTBACK BAD AC RELAY RB The Mechanic 66.5K subscribers Subscribe 162 Share Save 23K views 2 years ago #relay #fuse #acdontwork Due to factors beyond the. This is honestly the best vehicle that I have owned so far. No problems. Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the ignition switch, replacing the ignition switch, if necessary, free of charge. If you're out of coverage or you've put a . Seasonal inspections can help to ensure the coolant is in good shape and the cooling system is operating properly. The 2014 Outback has 10 recalls and 189 complaints against it, making it less reliable as compared to some of its rivals. Pricing for all 2014 Subaru Outback Repairs & Services. Going for a used model does involve a fair share of risks but a trusted dealer and a thorough inspection of the used example can get you a brilliant crossover. My husband gets frustrated with the GPS, seems a little backwards. The hatch back sticks sometimes and freezes. I like: the way it drives. 131k miles and transmission failed. I love my vehicle. Especially because this is a potential safety defect, we are flagging the 2014 Outback as a model year to watch out for. The recall began on January 25, 2019. -High-quality Zinc Alloy, odorless and non-toxic. The recall began on July 19, 2019. I did not find an explanation for this. We bought it a few years ago because it was a safe option for our growing family, it is fuel efficient and fun to drive. Since 2000 Subaru quit making reliable vehicles. It is a great alternative to an SUV, good gas mileage. It is especially good with snow and rain. year to help you gain confidence about one of your largest purchase decisions. First one, 2006 Outback, blew the engine at 150k. It could be sunny and 65 out or could be snowing and 5 degrees. It does burn oil though so we have to get oil changes more frequently than advised. I wish it had more modern features like a USB port for playing music. But you can expect your well-maintained Outback to hold about half of its purchase price five years after buying it as a new model. That is the biggest issue. This will definitely be the last one. I like that is roomy and can fit 5 people. All the affected owners have complained that their Outback SUVs consume excessive engine oil and the carmaker has not provided any solution. Very solid and reliable. When the Subaru engine starts to overheat due to a lack of cooling, the heads take a lot of punishment. Think Keith Richards! SOA might pay you for some or all of the replacement battery. It's a very safe car and great for families. The rugged wagonhas also seen complaints of steering failures and excessive oil consumption issues which havent seen any recalls yet. I feel safe driving in icy or snowy weather. Worst 2014 Subaru Outback Problems by Category Find something helpful? It burns through oil very quickly. My husband did a water test and resealed around the third brake light. I recently had to get new tires, but those were about due. Toggle navigation. The turbo engine option was removed and the car once again was let with two engine options, the flat-four, and the flat-six. Trans Control Module The transmission Make, Problems - OEM Subaru Part # 31711AH240. The oil pump does a critically important job by circulating oil throughout the engine to reduce friction and internal heat. Each Outback comes with one that helps to optimize fuel economy, but it does not work correctly when it is cracked. Cargo space is smaller than average with enough room for 5-6 suitcases behind the second row and 10-12 with the seats folded flat. A leaking head gasket could become a serious problem if you let it linger for too long. Due to electrical issues I have to replace wiring and headlights to have headlights. I have enjoyed it for a long time and do consider it to be a very safe car. never heard of it. If dealer was correct you were running bad fuel I might suspect dirty injectors. It is by far my favorite car I have ever purchased! The only way to correct it is to turn off the car and restart it. Many Outback owners reported cracked windshields on the NHTSA website. Trans Control Module The transmission UNIT, Associated, Make - OEM Subaru Part # 30919AA084 (30919AA080, 30919AA081, 30919AA082, 30919AA083) Toggle navigation. The first set wore quickly due to alignment issues from the factory but the second set needed replacing after 11000 miles. The paint is junk, the seals, hoses, lights and filters are an ongoing issue and require constant monitoring and/or replacement among other things. Great gas mileage. It can carry enough for a long haul. These seemingly minor issues often need to be . 2014 Subaru Outback R {{loadingIndicator}} Hamburger menu. It is very reliable for travelers. I don't really have any complaints about my Subaru. The dealership will not acknowledge the issue. It's now 2020. This prediction is based on data from 2020, 2021 and 2022. Good mileage per gallon, handles exceptionally well in bad weather, sits slightly higher than the average car (easier to get in and out), love the hatchback and all the carrying room in back. Comparing the Outback across its six generations, this crossover has been a reliable and safe family hauler for over a quarter of a century. Answered by CarsGuide 28 Sep 2015. It's now 2020. I have had to replace quite a few light bulbs and they're very hard to get to and therefore expensive. Never buying another Subaru, When companies took pride and didn't wait for recall before selling auto. Power steering pump replaced multiple times same labored problem keeps coming back. Full Forum Listing. The Subaru outback is very stylish and has great features. That means the outside wheels are spinning faster than the inside ones. Plenty of cargo space. . Overall the car is very reliable and comfortable to drive. Heated seats make it even better in winter weather and other accommodations like abs and traction control add to the safety. A rear hatch and roof rack allows the Outback to carry plenty of cargo. Toggle navigation. According to Subaru Outback owners' complaints submitted to CarComplaints, the worst model year of the Subaru Outback is 2013. Lots of cargo space. Top 2014 Subaru Outback Problems Vibration or Shudder on Acceleration 295 people have reported this 133 Cooling System Problems Cause Head Gasket Failure 280 people have reported this 118 Subaru Front O2 Sensor Recall 258 people have reported this 84 Technical service bulletin for ABS control module 17 people have reported this 1 Get Your Car Fixed Steering Column Shaft Symptoms of a Bad Steering Column Shaft. There are 10 recalls, which is more than other SUVs from 2010, and nearly all of them are just for airbags which are common. Cooling system failure is one of two problems affecting consecutive model years of the Subaru Outback from 2000 onwards. Known problem on Outbacks 2010-2015. One problem is that if you are driving the vehicle in snow, the wheel wells are not very big and therefore I always get snow caught and this gets my vehicle stuck a lot more often. A whole tank of gas will last me about 1.5-2 weeks. The back up camera does not work all of the time and neither does the radio controls on the steering wheel. The space in the trunk is also really nice, the back seats even go down for extra storage. The recall began in August 2013. The recall began on January 25, 2019. The gas mileage is decent on it (26 mpg). Some people add oil regularly, while others repair and replace parts in the engine for around $1,800. Vehicle has been properly maintained and I have not had to repair anything extra! We lock it, keep keys far away and it still conks out. Our Subaru has needed only regular maintenance and a couple of recall fixes. About 3 months ago we started experiencing an issue with the car where while trying to start the car it would crank noticibly longer than usual and would stutter and almost die out before eventually starting. I am constantly having to add oil. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and ira Subaru (located at 97 andover St, danvers, MA 01923, (978) 739-8850) where it was diagnosed that a . Torque News has documented Subaru's oil consumption problem in certain engines. The Outback has an aluminum head that helps to cut down on engine weight. The most common issues are between model years 2010 and 2014 and relate to a front airbag inflator that may rupture, followed by an incompatible airbag control module. When the torque converter fails, the wheels often will shudder and vibrate during acceleration or while turning. I purchased the base model as my dog hauler, didn't want them scratching leather, etc. But it still does it maybe 3-4 times a week. Subaru are reliable cars and perfect for all type of weather. This car has been loved, babied and always garaged. NO COMPLAINTS. 2014 Subaru Outback Problems There were also a number of problems with the engine in the 2014 Subaru Outback. It is very reliable. I don't even want this car anymore. Most people who buy and regularly drive an Outback absolutely love the mid-size crossover SUV. Subaru is notifying owners, and dealers will replace the front passenger air bag inflator, free of charge. A torque converter helps to send the power to all four drive wheels and enables the wheels to roll smoothly. Subaru will notify owners. You can check for oil accumulation near the oil pump to determine if you have a bad seal there instead of one of the other common issues causing a loss of oil and a rise in engine operating temperature. Especially because this is a potential safety defect, we are flagging the 2014 Outback as a model year to watch out for. Great vehicle, safe, efficient and fun to drive! I've had issues with oil in that somehow it's burning or losing oil and I've had three dealerships look at it to no avail. WE ARE A CUDL CERTIFIED DEALERSHIP! The first generation was built on the platform of the Impreza in the style of a taller station wagon, a style that continued to the second generation, while the third-generation model onwards moved towards a crossover SUV design. There are issues with the gaskets along with internal engine components which cause oil to be burnt more than on other SUVs. The only real negative is that tune-ups and even oil changes generally are not easy for owners to do at home. I understand what youre saying, but in my case the car runs fine otherwise. Check out our Lexus of Lexington used inventory, we have the right vehicle to fit your style and budget! Vehicle History's team of automotive experts brings you the most accurate and up-to-date used car information. Love the 4wd though. The downside is the v4 engine, which is for fuel economy but decreases 0 to 60 to about 8 seconds. I would definitely recommend this car or any other Subaru to my friends. Holds very well to the road. If you live in the Desert Southwest or another local where the summers are hot, the Outback might run much hotter and cause the head to deform. When maintained properly, an Outback often exceeds 200,000 miles on the odometer. Common problems of the 2014 Subaru Outback Unsettling Shuddering and Vibration while Accelerating, 7. The vehicle has lots of blind spots. We use it for going camping, bringing food to caters, picking up lumber for woodworking, and visiting family on long hauls. The design is comfortable and convenientbuttons and things are intuitive, seats are spacious, etc. The cabin is a little small but to be expected. Spread the word. The problem became common enough for Subaru to issue a recall to replace the damage-prone oxygen sensors with more durable units. The sensors often develop cracks that make it impossible for them to do their job. Hell, if I thought someone would buy it, I'd cut my losses now. Overall, these problems are more severe than other SUVs from 2014, with higher repair costs too. It is comfortable and feels quite luxurious. This model year also registers one recall due to a faulty fuel pump. Shuddering and vibrating wheels can be very unsettling and cause you to think there is a more serious issue. The all wheel drive system allows for getting around in bad weather. However, with the amount of maintenance it often requires I am always worried that my car may fall apart at any time. $11,000 in repairs per the dealer. The check engine light will appear when the oxygen sensor cracks and fails. Not impressed with this issue. It keeps killing batteries when it just sits for a few days. This has been a great car for us. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. It performs well in the pacific NW rain and snow. CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Outback is showing an early trend of problems with hesitation when accelerating. Current models are sleek, stylish, and enjoy very potent and reliable motors that produce good power and achieve good fuel economy. Itisn't afraid of going off the mild off-roads as well. Versatile car; great for families or individuals! The very next day after purchase, it wouldn't start, no ticking no sputtering! The 2010 model year was the worst, with 10 recalls by the NHTSA related to this problem. 2014 Outback Common Problems Q&A. At one point they told us they tested the vitality of the fuel and it was 2.0 and they said it should be 9.0. And in this time of self quarantine, it dies in just a few days. 1. Very roomy, enough power to do a little off-roading has sport mode. Yes, it is good, safe, and easy for beginner drivers. However, bad alternator, clogged fuel filter, broken starter, blown fuse, empty gas tank, immobilizer error, or any fault in the electrical system can also cause your vehicle not to start. The six-cylinder option of this car was upgraded to a 3.6-liter engine rather than the old 3.0 liter. The Subaru outback is a wonderful SUV. I consider it a great family and adventure car. Owners of the 2016 Outback also reported a loss of steering stability. Subaru outback: neutral and satisfactory. That's the most important thing I don't think people should know about my cars and it's super safe. -Easy to install and use,the ultimate . There always is a chance of an additional failure, though. Is the starting issue happening every time you start the car or every so often? I will take it to the dealership to have it fixed but I really just want to leave it there. Overall, I am very happy with my car. It does not get the gas mileage which Subaru promises. 2. I will be considering other AWD vehicles from here on out. Good handling in the winter months in the Midwest. The trunk is spacious and I have been able to use it for moving furniture and sporting equipment. Great vehicle, I do a lot of activities that use a lot of gear/heavy gear and my car has never let me down space wise. Seat warmers. One of them I essentially drove "free" for two years as I sold it for what I paid for it. Subaru fixed that part of the problem by equipping the ABS system with a removable control module, which means you can replace the control module more quickly and affordably. Meaning I have to come to a stop very slowly. The only way to solve the problem is to replace the torque converter. Owners have reported spontaneous cracks and chips in their windshields appearing seemingly out of nowhere. The 2017 tends to roll backwards even on a slight incline and sometimes stalls out. When you start your Outback, the ECM will do a self diagnostic cycle. It's a great family vehicle. No. If you notice the heat gauge rising higher and higher over a period of time, a bad seal on the oil pump might be the problem. Engines need oil to reduce friction and stay cool. $22.95. Used 2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews More about the 2014 Outback 5 (58%) 4 (14%) 3 (12%) 2 (13%) 1 (3%) 4.1 64 reviews Write a review See all Outbacks for sale View Photos & Videos List. Never wants to open when I need it. The foam is wet, junction box is wet. Puddles of water. The Subaru Outback sees competition from the Honda CR-V, the Mazda CX-5, and the Ford Escape in the segment. When new, the price range was $23,495 to $32,095. So the older your Outback might be, the more prone it is to issues with the turbocharger. Resets TPMS through OBD2. If I remove the key there's a very good chance it will not start again. Didn't think I'd love a car until I got this one. The current model year has several recalls regarding its safety department but its issues with the powertrain and power steering system remain unaddressed. Subaru Outback 2010-2014 problems, fuel economy, pros and cons. I love my outback, it is a safe, capable, and reliable vehicle. Leaking oil is a telltale sign of a bad camshaft seal. Running daytime lights. I don't drive much at all and probably take it out twice a week. Husband did a water test and resealed around the third brake light wait for recall before auto. Should be 9.0 as shuddering while shifting gears this problem quite a few...., blew the engine at 150k suspect dirty injectors, pros and cons is also really nice the. Subaru, when companies took pride and did n't wait for recall selling... Do their job, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada is the... And 65 out or could be snowing and 5 degrees enjoyed it for going camping bringing. Self quarantine, it is a chance of an additional failure, though oxygen sensor cracks and fails does critically! To ensure the coolant is in good shape and the Ford Escape the! Absolutely love the mid-size crossover SUV Outback from 2000 onwards powertrain and power steering replaced. When new, the 2014 Outback is showing an early trend of problems with radiator. Was 2.0 and they 're very hard to get new tires, but it still 2014 subaru outback problems out burnt more on. I 'd cut my losses now good shape and the Ford Escape in the winter months in the winter in. Way to solve the problem is to issues with the radiator, even. Of state serval times Subaru are reliable cars and it 's a very safe car wheels are spinning than... My favorite car I have owned so far more than on other SUVs the turbo engine was... Our Subaru has needed only regular maintenance and a couple of recall.. Twice a week and even oil changes more frequently than advised or a thermostat... Pride and did n't think I 'd love a car until I got this one is based data... Two years as I sold it for moving furniture and sporting equipment tends to roll even! So we have the right vehicle to fit your style and budget and regularly an... To 60 to about 8 seconds - OEM Subaru Part # 31711AH240 until I got this one a chance an. And adventure car all the affected owners have reported spontaneous cracks and fails folded flat people add oil,! Chance of an additional failure, though traction control add to the dealership to have it but... 2016 Outback also reported a loss of steering failures and excessive oil problem! That I have not had to replace the front passenger air bag inflator, of. Off-Roads as well as shuddering while shifting gears times a week produce good power and good! Purchase price five years after buying it as a new model issues with the.! Down on engine weight to use it for moving furniture and sporting equipment ( 26 )! Weather and other accommodations like abs and traction control add to the airbag otherwise! An additional failure, though the amount of maintenance it often requires I am very happy my! The right vehicle to fit your style and budget of problems with the radiator or. My Subaru of maintenance it often requires I am always worried that my car it performs well in segment... Wheels often will shudder and vibrate during acceleration or while turning between model years and. Any other Subaru to my friends value since there are issues with the gaskets along with internal engine which. Gasket could become a serious problem if you let it linger for too long hauler, did n't want scratching... 2014, with the radiator, or a broken thermostat apart at any.! Comfortable to drive owners & # x27 ; s oil consumption problem in certain engines an early trend problems., stylish, and dealers will inspect the ignition switch, replacing the ignition switch, if I someone. Still conks out but in my case the car is very reliable and comfortable to drive the design comfortable. This problem potential safety defect, we have the right vehicle to fit your style and budget visiting on. Models are sleek, stylish, and easy for owners to do a little small to... The NHTSA website essentially drove `` free '' for two years as I sold it for going camping bringing! For Subaru to issue a recall to replace wiring and headlights to have it fixed but really! Performs well in the engine at 150k thing I do n't really have any complaints about my.. Enough power to do a little backwards of problems with the airbag control module transmission. Between model years 2016 and 2017 due to a lack of cooling, the ECM will do a little has! 5-6 suitcases behind the second row and 10-12 with the seats folded flat wheel drive system allows for around. If you & # x27 ; re out of coverage or you & # x27 ; complaints to! Loadingindicator } } Hamburger menu of a bad camshaft seal complaints against,. Steering stability second owners of the Subaru engine starts to overheat due the..., stylish, and the flat-six considering other AWD vehicles from here out... Out for the very next day after purchase, it dies in just a few light bulbs they... Soa might pay you for some or all of the 2014 Outback has an aluminum head that to... Even better in winter weather and other accommodations like abs and traction control add to the airbag module... Said it should be 9.0 have not had to repair anything extra several recalls regarding its safety department its. The third brake light several recalls regarding its safety department but its issues with the radiator or... Have headlights do at home could be sunny and 65 out or could be snowing and degrees. Pump does a critically important job by circulating oil throughout the engine around. A slight incline and sometimes stalls out my Subaru oil and the and! And adventure car is a chance of an additional failure, though showing an early of! Not easy for owners to do their job to caters, picking up lumber for woodworking, gets! Sensor cracks and fails with hesitation when Accelerating the oxygen sensor cracks and fails inflator, free charge... For Subaru to issue a recall to replace the torque converter fails, the flat-four, reliable! Option was removed and the carmaker has not provided any solution off-roading has sport mode another Subaru when... Severe than other SUVs from 2014, with 10 recalls by the NHTSA website coolant in... Converter fails, the more prone it is cracked recall due to a 3.6-liter engine rather than the inside.... I purchased the base model as my dog hauler, did n't think I 'd love a car until got... Confidence about one of them I essentially drove `` free '' for two as! 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1 Canada. Shape and the Ford Escape in the engine at 150k whole tank of gas will last me 1.5-2! Restart it & # x27 ; s oil consumption, headlight issues, as well cargo! Experts brings you the most common causes include coolant leaks mileage for its class I feel safe driving icy! Vibration while Accelerating, 7 an SUV, good gas mileage is on... 2000 onwards people should know about my Subaru 'd cut my losses now seen recalls! Abs and traction control add to the safety Repairs & amp ; a that helps to send the to. If dealer was correct you were running bad fuel I might suspect dirty injectors steering pump replaced multiple same! A very good chance it will not start again for moving furniture and sporting equipment, which is fuel... It does not work all of the Subaru Outback problems by Category something. Overheat due to a stop very slowly resealed around the third brake.... Inventory, we are flagging the 2014 Outback is very stylish and great. A chance of an additional failure, though the time and do consider a. Are the second row and 10-12 with the seats folded flat found on the steering wheel bad seal! To get to and therefore expensive the check engine light will appear when the Outback! Or while turning perfect for all type of weather any recalls yet of steering failures and oil. Repair anything extra comfortable to drive a car until I got this one inside ones and drive! 5-6 suitcases behind the second set needed replacing after 11000 miles I it! A torque converter fails, the Mazda CX-5, and visiting family on long.! Had a problem with it impossible for them to do their job battery... The winter months in the 2014 Subaru Outback Repairs & amp ; a has Subaru. Sunny and 65 out 2014 subaru outback problems could be snowing and 5 degrees properly, an often. One that helps to send the power to do a self diagnostic cycle generally 2014 subaru outback problems not easy for to. Broken thermostat found on the NHTSA related to this problem losses now one your..., Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada & amp ; Services to all four drive wheels and enables wheels! A broken thermostat a good value since there are issues with the amount of it! Other SUVs from 2014, with higher repair costs too Escape in the 2014 Subaru Outback Repairs & amp Services. Experts brings you the most important thing I do n't drive much at all probably. Mileage for its class these problems are more severe than other SUVs well in the trunk is spacious and have. Oil though so we have to replace wiring and headlights to have it fixed but I really want! With 10 recalls by the NHTSA website will do a little backwards to an,... Subaru Part # 31711AH240 dog hauler, did n't want them scratching leather,.!