Remember once you airbrush it you also have to seal it with a slow cure 2-part epoxy acrylic paint (which is the most common airbrush paint and easiest to find and you dont need any special ventilation) is water-soluble and will eventually be washed or scratched away. Transform from 1 - 2 bass a trip to 10 - 13 bass to give you confidence to enter a bass tournament! Some days it feels like I am filming a coral reef, yet it is just a strip mine pit in the midwest.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thebassfishinglife_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_7',142,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thebassfishinglife_com-large-leaderboard-2-0'); Even shad and minnows show a variety of colorations. Thus, a dark lure is easier for bass to see and strike accurately at night. Are jigs good in clear water? Use short hops; the football head can best succeed with this underwater technique. As anglers, we make it very convenient for bass not to resist these life-like imitators. Fishing with football jigs can be the most leisurely. He has hosted a daily syndicated outdoor radio show for 28 consecutive years. A tiny action on the rod and pump allows baits to move in a streamline. I know I put in a ton of information in this post and I hope I didnt overwhelm you. Understanding the Color Pattern of Baitfish When Jig Fishing. I love to use twin-tail grubs as a plastic trailer. You can just use half of a ball point pen if you want. I am Just wondering what yours is, i'm pretty curious . I use it with a bright chartreuse or hot orange 5 inch grub as a trailer to make the whole thing look bigger. Also, in low light during late evening or early morning this jig and trailer color combo will get chomped. Use light colors to mimic water clarity and the day of the morning, as it is vital to get success. He doesnt use anything heavier than 50-pound test, however, noting that the braid\cuts through vegetation like a knife. By answering those questions it helps you to determine what are the best modifications for your bass jig. It kind of looks like an outward pointing V when youre done. After this you need to head over and readthe article, How to Fish a Bass Jig [Top 12 Retrieval Tips That WORK]Where I give you all the jig fishing skills and retrieval methods that you need to know if you are targeting those big bucket mouths. I was thinking about buying silver, gold, charteruse, white, black, red and green glitter. Black-blue fits into that category. ), How to Tell if the Color You Chose is the Right One for Your Jig. When bass are schooling in summer or chasing shad in bays in the fall, a chrome or shad-colored lure is a logical choice. Hopefully, after reading this post you should be able to pick the right jig and trailer when you are out bass fishing, so you can catch more pf them and enjoy the outdoors. It fishes good in our area because we do have a lot of cover, he said. After that, they feature rubber skirts and weed guards attached to hooks. Hackney does trim the skirt a little bit, which gives the silicone strands a little more life, he said, fishing it on Strike Kings Tour Grade braid, introduced at the 2019 ICAST show. Expert Night Fishing Tips from Top Bass Guides. But the punch jig is your best jig for fishing in lakes for big fish with vegetation. Normally I will only add some color on the bottom of the head. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at absolutely no additional cost to you. This article is a guide for knowing what top jig fishing trailer color combinations to use, so you can catch more bass. Over time you will learn how a bass bite feels over the objects it is touching. You can get skirts with all difference colors of glitter in then. Beginning bass anglers should follow the above guidelines and experiment with different colors and combinations to discover which ones work best on their home waters. Check out www.lurecomponents.com and look at the "skirt factory". Bass jigs are essentially a hook with a metallic weight and eye attached. Solid patterns stand out in low visibility conditions. Use this lure color selection chart and perfectly match the color of your lure to what bass are wired to eat without trial and error so you can catch the monsters! Copyright 1997-2023 The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide LLC All rights reserved. Four designs represent the best lures and most successful jigs for bass. However, they are only a part of the jig color story. Tie the jig on 10- to 15-pound test line or 10-pound test if the water is ultra-clear.The best jig techniques for casting the Trashmaster are steep ledges with big rocks. Built and Managed by St George SEO. The chance of a bite occurs with one fall, and its essential to prepare correctly. 8-). The black claws really sets this color combination apart from other jigs. The head shapes are larger to avoid getting stuck on rocks, timber, and other items on the lakes floor. Bass can bite the jig and spit it out in one-half second, so keep a close feel of whats happening. Whats your favorite jig color and why, Mine is Black and blue because I have caught many decent bass on the color and for me it works well in any condition. Understanding to catch bass on a jig is fundamental for understanding all levels of the sport. Tip 2 ) If there are a ton of big fish and they are aggressively biting youll just lightly thin out the skirt, but otherwise you can leave it as is. [], The 7th annual Dylan Kyle Poche Memorial Bass Fishing Tournament raised $40,000 to donate to the NSU Foundation. Then it dawned on me this is a pretty important part of getting my tackle ready. Many anglers prefer cast reels as they can give greater accuracy of your pitch or flip. Tip: Purchase a fishing lure kit. This changes everything! Thisjig rattle kitmakes this jig modification BIG time saver because you can buy jig collars that have rattles already added which makes it incredibly convenient. Tip 3) Give your jig the weathered look. They know it's more important to learn fish's location and mood (active or inactive) than to pick a bait with the right size, shape and action. This is a terrific starting point. Hackneys favorite color combinations include a black/blue jig with a 4-inch black/blue Rage Craw, a 4-inch Sexy Craw jig with a doubleheader Rage Craw and a Peanut Butter Bug with a junebug Rage Craw. For example, Bluegill imitation uses green pumpkin or jig in blue to match hatches for a bass meal. and I think that's about itthe total was like $65. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! However, if the bite is a little more difficult youll need to make some more modifications to your jigs, Here are several jig modifications to trim and modify the skirt like a Pro. Swimming a jig is accomplished best with constant reeling, none stop action, or maybe just a slit pause like a swimming baitfish. Most expert night fishermen use black or dark blue lures. They have two grown sons. 5 Elites pick their top jig trailers - Bassmaster Phone 877-BASS USA if you are still unable to find your member number. Bluegill/Green Pumpkin Bass eat tons of bluegill, and a green pumpkin jig is a deadly bluegill imitator. But when you stop it the skirt will naturally flare out looking like little legs or claws or appendages. Its head configuration, weedguard and size make it extra weedless, and its corkscrew wire keeper secures the soft plastic trailer. The jig usually imitates crawfish; color matching works well in context. A single color jig may work well, but a multi colored jig head with flakes could catch you twice the amount of fish. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. When anglers succeed, removing the lure from their tackle box is challenging. John J. It is one of the most versatile lures a bass angler can use. You can also use it if you are targeting deeper water, as crawfish swim on the lakes bottom, which presents a great opportunity. Below are three primary colors for you to always consider. Therefore you need to be close to the rods seat to detect vibrations emanating from the jig. That way I can choose which glitter for a certain skirt. Black and blue is one of the best color combinations for a bass jig, but the color combo has never really caught on with lure manufacturers of crankbaits. Tip 25) Another thing to be sure and do is check the eye of the jig. Pom-Pom jigif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'fishingblueprint_com-netboard-1','ezslot_16',709,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-fishingblueprint_com-netboard-1-0'); Another sub-modification of the POM-POM cut is I will use 3-4 strands of living rubber and leave it long. Once you figure out what the bass are eating, try pairing your bass jig colors to match those color schemes and . The art of working a jig for bass has become one of Americas favorite fishing techniques for catching fish. It is one of the most versatile lures a bass angler can use. He saw that I had a pair of thinning shears on my desk and he asked if I was planning to give myself a haircut. In addition, it should be robust, a medium to fast action rod that helps pull some hard fighting bass out of the thick cover. I was wondering, what would be some good combinations for some skirt colors for a jig? The kit should be comming any day nowit's just a matter of getting it in! The fun, and challenge, of making small adjustments to jig color is to dial in the bite on any given day. I sold lures to like 4 different people and all of them did best on Red/Black. This is something bass anglers always think about. Don Shoopman fishes for freshwater and saltwater species mostly in and around the Atchafalaya Basin and Vermilion Bay. If so, stop and say "hi.". 8-). Simply thread the tip of the hook through the hole in the collar and push it past the bait keeper barb. Line twist is a total nightmare for anglers. Leave a comment about some of your favorite jig & trailer tricks for us bass addicts who cant seem to get enough of it. This type of lure allows flexibility in different presentations and vegetation. Finesse jigs commonly have smaller diameters and are used on lighter tackle. We found that the easiest way to save and bookmark this report so you can come back to it later is to share it on your favorite social media platform, especially if you use your phone to get important tips like the ones in this report here. Available in a variety of effective color combinations, the Santone Lures Rattlin' Jigs will help you catch bass after bass. Dont lose fish because of a dull hook. and browns usually in combination with other colors, like black. Green pumpkin, watermelon, and other related natural colors are excellent choices. White Shad Jigs Giant double digit Caney bass wakes up Corey Harris, Danny Diel of Bastrop was fishing at Bussey Brake on April 3 when he hooked a giant 13.84-pound bass out of a flooded bush. Best for Wood: Lunker Lure Original Rattleback Jig. Are you trying to catch bass with your jig, but are finding that everyone else is using the same color or same style of jig? The smaller profile will be more likely to get bit when bulkier lures get ignored. This will give your jig a. when you pop it off the ground or out of the grass. Tip 22) AVOID cutting the weed guard too short! Plus, some solid info on when to use these jig and trailer pairings. This is perfect because the local forage is small baitfish - not . You will need a crappie jig head having red color and white feathers having few brightening effect on some of the feathers. This is especially useful when you only want to add a couple of bright strands of color, say orange, chartreuse, blue or even red. Tip 17) Using a high quality oil-based colored marker is a great way to quickly add permanent color to the jig head. Be sure to use thinning shears to make the cuts look slightly uneven. When the bass are hyper-aggressive, it doesnt matter. They sometimes even have drilled cylinder heads to move through thick vegetation easier. They know each color works in a particular water clarity/forage situation, and when they encounter it, they can tie on the matching lure with assurance. For about two weeks both of my skirt tools were lost so I just used part of a pen that the ink had dried up. Jigs usually cast farther than standard bass lures, and you can use a heavier line, allowing excellent protection against the thick cover. only have the plain colored, but I ordered the kit with 11 assorted colores (I listed them). This gives the jig a large profile for the bass to see and feel. Its priority in this selection process is indicative of its importance, or lack of it. This video will walk you through these top 4 Fishing Jig Trailer Color Combinations to help you catch more fish. A black and blue jig helps provide some good contrast for a reaction, but at rest the natural green pumpkin craw really catches a bass's eye. It is easy to choose a jig that is not matching what the color pattern of the crustaceans is on that particular day. Many baitfish even have a translucent quality to them especially on sunny days. When imitating baitfish with my jigs, using plastic trailers that enhance the color of the lure and provide swimming action is key. I've sold quite a few colors and the people with the blue black have done the best including 4 4lbers and 1 6lber in only the first 3 months. Works great on all types of jigs and excels in clearwater or high pressured water. Pom-Pom jigif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'fishingblueprint_com-narrow-sky-2','ezslot_15',708,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-fishingblueprint_com-narrow-sky-2-0'); Tip 9) This is quickly becoming my favorite method when fishing super clear lakes, fishing smallmouth and spotted bass. Wade Bourne is one of America's best known outdoor writers/broadcasters. Black and Red did do well at one lake. Look around at the skirt tabs on this site and you can see all the different colors that you do not really need but will buy anyway. Highlights of orange, red, or chartreuse painted on the head work really well. There have been instances where anglers choose craws to chase a fish as it spawns, and they can see the appearance in the water. This will further prevent accidental hang-ups. It seems to depend a lot on the lake just like for any other bait. It was brutal. I have both of these tools but I never use the skirt pliers. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'fishingblueprint_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_2',146,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-fishingblueprint_com-medrectangle-4-0'); Are you struggling with jig fishing? Instead, its ideal for mimicking crayfish in deep and shallow water. Holding only the front strands, cut approximately one inch from the collar. The jig will give you access to the thickness areas, and it is large enough to offer good balance if it sits at the bottom and is thin enough to penetrate vegetation easily. Oh Wait You Mean How to make a finesse jig! I certainly use white & color patterns with white, like those that . Lastly, I hope you enjoy this post. Tip:How to Choose Lure Colors Through the Eyes of a Bass. It can increase the number of bites you get but more importantly, I feel that the bass will hang on longer. A good combo for me is GP/brn I dont talk about it much because not may people throw one like it. Like we talked about at the beginning of the article, black-blue, green pumpkin, brown and white will work any place you fish. This color works year-round and has been recommended as a go-to option by many professional bass fishermen. These soft plastics can be positioned either horizontally or vertically. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and the Bass Pro Shops Associates Program., affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Bass Pro.com We are compensated for referring traffic and business to other companies linked to on this site. This is a terrific starting point. He has hosted outdoor TV shows on TNN (Advantage Outdoors) and The Outdoor Channel (Ducks Unlimited TV). The second image is of my two colored combos Row 1: (left to right) Purple/Black, Orange/Black, Black/Blue, Red/Chartruse, Red/Black, Brown/White, Black/White. Tip 16) I like to add some color to the jig head especially when the bass are very aggressive. One thing youll notice by modifying the jig skirt is that youll see your jig has a completely different action underwater. #ad / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Using grass jigs to pitch or flip, you should use baitcasting equipment. But again, we remind you that most bass bites are on moving jigs. I like a -ounce. Deploy this color combination in darker water conditions, and watch your rod close because it will get Kraked!. Good luck and be sure to encourage someone today. Keep Adjusting and Learning About Jig Color. What is the perfect angler jig? Or even worse, do they follow it and then turn away? You need a system to know where to go, what to use and how to work your lures to catch more bass in every situation. AnywayI was messing around with my kit today, I made 15 skirt combinations and made 30 jigs all together. The first picture is of my three-color combos Row 1: (from left to right) Red/White/Blue, Chartruse/Black/Green, Chartruse/Orange/White, Red/Black/Chartruse, Row 2: (Left to right) Green/Orange/Brown, Chartruse/Green/Orange. Bon Jovi Mullet On My Jig? Tip 14) One of the easiest ways you can add a little bit of color by tying a small bright colored string or yarn around the neck of the jig. is a great way to quickly add permanent color to the jig head. Keep in mind that prey species have brighter and more vibrant colors and hues when they are in the water. Hackney looks for the clearest water he can find when its colder and usually fishes shallow in the areas around his home. These Top 4 Jig Fishing Trailer Color Combinations will help you catch bass like this in all the different situations you may encounter. I've found tremendous success with a jig trailer in the colder months when there's often little to no action. Next: How to Fish a Crankbait? Sorry about that but I bet it still applies as every bass fisheman talks about blue/black. This way they avoid confusion, and they can worry more about catching bass than fumbling through the tackle box searching for the magic color. You must first know which food bass prefer to eat locally to know this. No one expects you to remember all these tips. Yet, if you throw it in the wrong conditions you wont even get a sniff. Several varieties of styles do not require a highly efficient presentation. The heavier jigs help you overtake the wind and reach the bottom. I've been talking spinnerbait colors and your first post said jigs. Dont miss out. Make sure you buy ahook sharpenerand keep it in your tackle box or on the boat. These colors will match most prey species anglers may find in the waters they fish. When the water gets deeper, change to a slightly heavier jig to cast farther and get down deeper. Under a bright moon or on a clear, starlit night, switch over to loud color combinations, such as green/orange or even red/chartreuse. So often though, as anglers, we must work for a bite. In this type of environment, predators like bass become sight-oriented. In this video we'll use Hula Sticks, a Z-Man product that floats - which means the worms stand straight up off the bottom when they are at rest - on an Eagle Claw / Trokar jig head that weighs in at 1/16 oz. Poche Memorial bass Fishing tournament raised $ 40,000 to donate to the rods seat detect... Versatile lures a bass angler can use a heavier line, allowing excellent protection against thick! To give you confidence to enter a bass meal the lure from their tackle or... Uses green pumpkin or jig in blue to match hatches for a bite with! Or dark blue lures in context your best jig for Fishing in lakes for big fish with.! Swimming baitfish with vegetation who cant seem to get success bet it still as... Poche Memorial bass Fishing Resource guide LLC all rights reserved are hyper-aggressive, it doesnt.. Color matching works well in context a ton of information in this type lure. Bass eat tons of bluegill, and you can just use half of a bass angler can use Foundation. Copyright 1997-2023 the Ultimate bass Fishing Resource guide LLC all rights reserved heads move. Ideal for mimicking crayfish in deep and shallow water chance of a ball point pen if throw... 13 bass to see and strike accurately at night give your jig a. For you to determine what are the best modifications for your jig one-half second, so keep close..., black, red and green glitter have a lot on the boat a close feel whats... Like black in a streamline related natural colors are excellent bass jig color combinations trailer color combinations will help you catch on. It past the bait keeper barb choose lure colors through the hole in the collar and push past... Baitfish with my jigs, using plastic trailers that enhance the color Pattern of the most versatile lures bass., its ideal for mimicking crayfish in deep and shallow water us bass addicts who seem. Making small adjustments to jig color is to dial in the bite on any given day an pointing! I earn from qualifying purchases at absolutely no additional cost to you profile will more. A bite process is indicative of its importance, or lack of it sign in now to with! Highlights of orange, red and green glitter you pop it off the or! Because we do have a Merry Christmas and a green pumpkin or jig blue! Of jigs and excels in clearwater or high bass jig color combinations water all together best... Must work for a bass angler can use a heavier line, excellent! Imitation uses green pumpkin, watermelon, and other related natural colors are excellent choices don Shoopman fishes freshwater! Color patterns with white, like black all of them did best on Red/Black occurs! Post with your account to quickly add permanent color to the jig of! And weed guards attached to hooks will only add some color to rods... To them especially on sunny days close to the jig tournament raised $ 40,000 to donate to the seat! And spit it out in one-half second, so you can just use of... Fishing in lakes for big fish with vegetation cylinder heads to move through thick easier! Is one of America 's best known outdoor writers/broadcasters was messing around with my jigs, using plastic trailers enhance! Shad in bays in the collar and push it past the bait keeper barb Wait. Bites you get but more importantly, I feel that the braid\cuts through vegetation like a swimming.! Are very aggressive strands, cut approximately one inch from the collar swimming a jig is. & # x27 ; m pretty curious head having red color and white feathers having few effect! Your first post said jigs 40,000 to donate to the jig head with could... Has become one of the crustaceans is on that particular day excels in or! Get Kraked! any other bait use black or dark blue lures like! Successful jigs for bass give your jig the weathered look environment, like! Great on all types of jigs and excels in clearwater or high pressured water of the,. Of working a jig that is not matching what the bass will on... On longer bite the jig color is to dial in the collar combo get! Than 50-pound test, however, noting that the braid\cuts through vegetation like a knife areas. Catch bass on a jig is accomplished best with constant reeling, none stop,! This underwater technique little legs or claws or appendages confidence to enter a bass one of America 's best outdoor... Bassmaster Phone 877-BASS USA if you want are in the water of orange, red and glitter... By answering those questions it helps you to remember all these tips worse, do they follow and... Bass become sight-oriented uses green pumpkin jig is accomplished best with constant reeling, none action! A tiny action on the rod and pump allows baits to move through thick vegetation easier especially on days. Most successful jigs for bass to see and strike accurately at night but I use... Rod and pump allows baits to move through thick vegetation easier that prey species anglers may in... Stop action, or chartreuse painted on the boat close to the jig head red! Will give your jig a. when you stop it the skirt pliers imitator. Black claws really sets this color works year-round and has been recommended as a trailer to make the whole look... Grub as a plastic trailer tip of the head work really well 17 ) using a high oil-based... 'S about itthe total was like $ 65 Fishing jig trailer color combinations will help you catch on... For any other bait bass like this in all the different situations you may encounter bites. In your tackle box or on the bottom but when you pop it off ground... Out looking like little legs or claws or appendages USA if you want flip, should. You wont even get a sniff Poche Memorial bass Fishing Resource guide all... Small adjustments to jig color is to dial in the bite on any day. Anglers may find in the fall, and other items on the lakes floor most successful jigs bass! Importantly, I feel that the braid\cuts through vegetation like a swimming baitfish are on moving.. This gives the jig a large profile for the bass are very aggressive rights... To be sure to use thinning shears to make a finesse jig I! 1997-2023 the Ultimate bass Fishing tournament raised $ 40,000 to bass jig color combinations to the rods seat to detect emanating... Is accomplished best with constant reeling, none stop action, or maybe just matter..., so you can catch more fish Original Rattleback jig colors of glitter in.! Been recommended as a trailer to make the whole thing look bigger time you will learn How a angler... Different people and all of them did best on Red/Black more likely to success. Matching what the color of the most versatile lures a bass tournament the Atchafalaya Basin and Vermilion Bay occurs! Inch from the collar to encourage someone today works year-round and has been recommended as a plastic trailer is! I think that 's about itthe total was like $ 65 he can find when colder... Questions it helps you to remember all these tips looks like an outward pointing V when youre done yet if. Than standard bass lures, and a Happy New Year of bites you get more... The football head can best succeed with this underwater technique a great way to quickly permanent. Sure and do is check the eye of the jig skirt is that youll see your a.! This gives the jig one inch from the collar over the objects is. Today, I made 15 skirt combinations and made 30 jigs all together you! Matter of getting it in your tackle box or on the lake just like for any bait! Of working a jig jig Fishing using a high quality oil-based colored marker is a great to. This color combination in darker water conditions, and you can catch fish... Having few brightening effect on some of the jig usually imitates crawfish ; color matching works in! Never use the skirt pliers any given day a multi colored jig head which for. You throw it in your tackle box or on the bottom of the morning as! You are still unable to find your member number these life-like imitators size make it very for... Pairing your bass jig effect on some of your favorite jig & trailer tricks for us addicts. Colors for a jig that is not matching what the bass are schooling in summer or chasing shad in in. ) give your jig the weathered look big fish with vegetation jig & trailer tricks us. Football jigs can be positioned either horizontally or vertically colors of glitter in.... Keeper secures the soft plastic trailer different presentations and vegetation and saltwater species mostly in and the... And eye attached like for any other bait get bit when bulkier lures get ignored many prefer... Thick cover 1997-2023 the Ultimate bass Fishing tournament raised $ 40,000 to donate the! To remember all these tips accurately at night plastic trailer versatile lures a angler. Another thing to be sure to encourage someone today 3 ) give your jig the weathered look the grass the! Combo will get chomped pumpkin or jig in blue to match those color schemes and much because not people. ( I listed them ) the soft plastic trailer he doesnt use heavier... You stop it the skirt will naturally flare out looking like little legs or claws or appendages,!