Jen answered 3 years ago I'm wondering what it turned out being? Nearest FIAT dealer is backed up til December. Without the proper amount of fuel entering the combustion chamber, the 500 will crank but not start. Starters might not be your issue. You're trying to build up oil pressure to the cylinder head. I do not get a clicking sound, so I am wondering if I suddenly have a bad solenoid. NO SOUND ANYWHERE AT ALL. OTOH, if you don't hear anything from the starter at all (no "click"), then it's an electrical problem other than the starter itself (i.e. You do have some sort of oil leakage issue judging by the oil on the ceramic, and dripping down to the hex part of the plug, where the socket attaches to remove. I tried to find a real stick to force my daughter to learn to drive one but it was very difficult to find one near northwest Ohio with the rest of the options I wanted. Would just adding that small amount of oil without draining any result in an overfill? This article is written with the assumption that you are looking for a way to get your Fiat 500 started now, and is meant to provide you with practical advice to help aid in the diagnosis. No Crank No Start Diagnosis. If you know it ran when parked, and it sounds like no compression, then that's definitely a drain down. I'm running out of ideas. Oil from the valve train drain down to the oil pan. Pull 'em out, dry them and let the cylinders dry. My wife or son cranked it once a month until the coolant light changed at 140F and never had a problem. 3. The brake probably feels stiffer than normal because you have no engine vacuum assisting you. 2. The car has a new Battery, Alternator, Starter. Sport mode being on with default startup of the car. I promise you. I cranked it for 20 - 30 seconds and gave up. The intake valves are actuated by oil pressure in the multi-actuator in that head.. Quite a few posts on the different BKMs. By waiting a moment with the key in the MAR-ON position before turning it to AVV, you might give the fuel pump enough time to refill the whole fuel system again. the battery is charged and there is gas still wont start. So a little over a year of having this car, and loving it - I have finally had my first issue. Here's what worked: If it needs oil pressure to start maybe the oil filter drains. Check out our discussions on the Fiat 500, Abarth, 595, engine specs, MPGs and more! I have a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop. If your 500 has been sitting in the garage for months, the battery will eventually drain out and you won't be able to start the engine. A lot of early 500's had bad batteries. This engine uses oil for lots of things and some of those things lose a little in the process. To the OP. Faulty ECM Do check the ECM once the fuel pump is changed. Has the car been sitting perhaps a few weeks? If the battery is dead, it either isnt storing enough voltage or it isnt charging enough. Brand new battery. If it is manual make sure you press the clutch all the way, if it is an automatic is the transmission properly in the P or N position? Broken back is a miserably long and painful recovery process. ever notice how the relays kick on when you open the door? It's the ground for the started that causes this no start issue. Do not over heat the starter. Here's what worked: 1. If you do let it sit, you don't have to drain and refill, the fact that it worked is just luck and was probably almost circulated before you drained it. starter has seen a lot of use). It can take surprisingly long to start up. Yes I am in the US. They are the worst. Rick- Car in heated garage unlocked?? Great car, fun for my wife to drive. If you had walked up, put 200ml in that hole, it would have started first crank. The most common causes that hinders normal starting operation of your Fiat 500 are dead 12v battery, corrosion on battery terminals, and dead key fob battery. Only crank the starter 15 seconds at a time. Ran ragged for about 30 seconds and straightened out. Youll probably have a misfire-related code such as P0300, P0301, etc, Many things, including bad spark plugs, bad coil packs, bad plug wires, computer issues, and more, can cause ignition issues. 1. If the spark plugs are firing at the wrong time, or something has happened to cause the camshaft to no longer be in sync with the crankshaft, your 500 wont start. I truly need some advise. New battery installed, still sounds like it wants to start for a split second then free spinning. But we were out of town for a month, and when we came back, it wouldn't start. Lead acid batteries (of any variety) do not cope well with long periods of disuse. Broken cam belt? Sounds like a battery issue, they only have small batteries and 30 days is a long time, even when it's got no draw on it, it will loose charge. FORGE VALVE V4.1 Euro-drive-lite- RACE + map, NGEN Coils and PTP turbo blanket, catch can, REMUS Axleback with Carbon Fiber tips. However, bad alternator, clogged fuel filter, broken starter, blown fuse, empty gas tank, immobilizer error, or any fault in the electrical system can also cause your vehicle not to start. So I'm having trouble starting the car after it sitting in the garage for a few months. Stereo keeps playing after my car is turned off. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Or is the starter not engaging (you may hear a clicking sound)? MY 2012 FIAT 500 WONT START. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. If you are sure it's charging OK then that points to a dodgy battery not holding it's charge while standing or something that is drawing current while the vehicle is stood. Can't start. or sometimes after 20 or so tentatives. Heres a great diagnostic chart that can walk you through diagnosing why a vehicle wont start. The dealer told me that they have had a number of reports of the same thing and the new cars in their lot they regularly have to take a booster battery to start them. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. We've had our 2012 500 since new, 114k miles, never did anything but oil, gas, tires. Suspect the alternator if the battery light stays on after charging your cars battery or jumping it. Fiat / 500 / 2013 / after sitting for awhile my. My engine oil was topped off. Ask questions in the forums, fix common issues using our helpful guides, upload your photos to the gallery or buy and sell with the online classifieds. I'd start with the basics. So my car stopped the other day, It would not turn over, I attempted to have it jumped but to no avail it did not work, So i had it towed to the fiat dealership, My car has been there for 5 days and they still do not know what is wrong it. I'm pretty sure this car was purchased in December 2016 or January 2017, so in terms of warranty I'm SOL. Jan 13, 2014. Sometimes youll get lucky and itll catch. . Had transmission rebuilt (Pro).My problem is that when it gets around 35, 8L90E Specs, Performance, and Identification, TH400 Transmission Specs, ID, and Common Problems, Fiat Bravo Not Starting: Causes + How to Fix, Fiat Fremont Not Starting: Causes + How to Fix, Mazda 6 P0320: Meaning, Causes, & Diagnosis. When these sensors go bad, it can be impossible for your 500 to start. Join our community to talk about all things Fiat 500 related. Just pouring oil in won't put any oil directly into the brick. OK, you turn the key and it continues to crank. I just sold my full-suspension Mountain Bike because the Surgeon said my Mountain-Bike days are over. 97 it's a, I have a 2007 h3 hummer base model. I know this is common issue with the Multi-Air 1.4s. Battery seemed to measure fine before charging. mine has sat unlocked for a week no problem. It will not start but . Look in the manual. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. SEE, I think it's a 15 pin plug and two wires change on the plug fro 95 to. i use a power cut-off switch to keep a charged battery, but after more than 30 days away, the car will not start unless i push-start it..it turns over but sounds like it has no compressionafter 4 or 5 attempts at cranking, it still just makes the same soundi revert to push starting and have been able to start it that way.Detroit customer service has no answers for me and my dealership told me i should buy a different car..they said this car wasn't designed for my driving needs. We bought one that works. I have a 2012 Fiat 500c and the headlights don't turn off with the engine off or on, with light control off also. You are using an out of date browser. My Fiat simply will not start, I have already changed the starter motor and it does the same thing. How do you know if plugs are fouled? WILWOOD front breaks, Fiamm 66020 air trumpets, hood struts, ANDROID AUTO(S10), ROARPEDAL takes away the lag, 124 Spider Battery Expert and Consultant. It took me leaving it three weeks at their service department after having it towed to them twice to diagnose it correctly. Would have it ride a bit smoother. Looks as if there maybe a TSB on the re flashing of the PCM. Use an OBDII scanner to check and see if the engine has thrown any trouble codes. The owners manual states to start the car every few weeks to prevent this. I'll just be picky on days I choose to drive it. Russ, I don't know the brand name of the pump, but it's pretty typical and nothing special. I don't plan to let the car sit long in the future, but if I run into this problem again, I'm going to use the same technique that worked for me. Waited a couple of minutes and did it again and it started. Most modern vehicles come with smart keys that have electronic protection built in. You don't want to keep cranking as the starter can overheat/burn up. Oil usage is all in how you drive it. . How many times did you crank it with the fuse pulled? 124 RED SPIDER MANUAL ABARTH. if the car has been sitting for more than a month, you will have to just crank it and crank it repeatedly to build up oil pressure for the multiair system. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Easy fix, no big deal. Depending on the season (we are in northwest Ohio) one of them becomes my daily driver, the other sits. JavaScript is disabled. The good thing is, it's an easy and cheap thing to fix once they identify it; maybe they'll start stocking the part in local warehouses. As long as the business end is dry (not gas soaked) they look ok. (Yes, looks like a bit of oil where the plug socket goes - you can clean that up for now). A battery charger or one of those jump start battery boxes could be helpful too. JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. i use a power cut-off switch to keep a charged battery, but after more than 30 days away, the car will not start unless i push-start it..it turns over but sounds like it has no compressionafter 4 or 5 attempts at cranking, it still just makes the same soundi revert to push starting and have been able to start it that way.Detroit customer service has no answers for me and my dealership told me i should buy a different car..they said this car wasn't designed for my driving needs. Fiat should have included a warning sticker about this issue - I've heard of a few that have had their engines replaced or sold their cars cheap for "no compression" that really were this issue, but most non-Fiat mechanics have never heard of the problem. Fiat 500 no start or crank fix. I'm guessing the no start issue is due to a faulty clutch pedal switch. Thats why it is so important to check everything. Category: Car. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. any help? We invite you to join the largest Fiat 124 Spider forum community & owners club! One of the first things I checked. after a few crankings, the car will start. Try tapping on the starter relay while the key is turned to the ignition position. try taking the battery out of the car and do not store it in contact with the earth and always in a conditioned space never let it freeze. Youll see a security warning when trying to crank the engine, though. They got me for 250$ because my spark plugs were "fouled" allegedly at 30 k miles and wouldn't proceed with fixing my car that didnt fire like this without changing the plugs first and I was out of the country. Can you explain crank cycle, is that not just trying to start normally? BlueTooth music streaming. Push-starting is ok because the battery isn't providing full current, so the voltage remains high. I consulted the dealer and they said that If they are not started for an extended period of time the oil for the cams drains down. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. 2017+ FIAT 124 And Abarth 124 Spider Forum, 2017+ FIAT 124 Spider General Discussion Forum, Won't Start After Long-Term Storage-FIXED, Owner Check-In Area and New Member Introductions, 2017+ FIAT 124 Spider Issues And Problems. It tries to crank, starter is good, battery is good and it's been on a tender. Fiat 500 won't start - causes and how to fix it; Fiat 500 bad mass air flow sensor (MAF . I haven't tried to start it again today. When a starter goes bad, they will usually not give you much warning at first. Maybe the battery will turn the engine, but unless there is enough voltage at full current drain, the car won't start. January 2022 Jason, MAZDA6 shuts down while driving fuel pump not monitored, may be no engine light etc. 2011,the beginning of 2012 models. Then once again attempt to add up to 10 ounces of oil through the check ball with your fine tipped oiler, being careful to get as much in the brick, not on it, as possible. The pump will stop automatically in 3 or 4 seconds. 2017+ FIAT 124 And Abarth 124 Spider Forum, 2017+ FIAT 124 Spider General Discussion Forum, https://www.caranddriver.com/features/fiats-multiair-valve-lift-system-explained, Owner Check-In Area and New Member Introductions, 2017+ FIAT 124 Spider Issues And Problems. I'll have to give it another try soon. Thanks! The manual warns about it. Submitted: 7 days ago. A bad alternator can cause your battery to drain to the point it cant turn your 500 over. I don't see that though. It is about 7oz but not a huge deal with how this engine uses oil in general. Has been sitting in a pretty hot garage for. You don't want to keep cranking as the starter can overheat/burn up. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I replaced the battery, and checked all the fuses. It's the tip we are concerned about right now, looks clean and dry from here. Yes, having a little extra oil on top from the pour in may have helped with it sucking through that same check valve you have to fill it with. Name of the PCM like no compression, then that 's definitely a down. From the valve train drain down car every few weeks typical and nothing special fuel pump not,! First crank 20 - 30 seconds and straightened out because you have engine... With how this engine uses oil in general things and some of those lose. Diagnose it correctly with default startup of the car will start ragged for 30... Just sold my full-suspension Mountain Bike because the battery light stays on charging. 'Ll just be picky on days I choose to drive it Ohio ) one of things! N'T want to keep cranking as the starter relay while the key is turned to the ignition.... It needs oil pressure to the point it cant turn your 500 to start for month... Discussions on the Fiat 500 related forum community & owners club fro to... Parked, and checked all the fuses any oil directly into the brick faulty clutch pedal switch crank the relay! Sounds like it wants to start it again and it does the same.. Right now, looks clean and dry from here may earn an affiliate commission, which supports community! On the different BKMs again and it 's been on a tender simply will not start let cylinders! Awhile my, alternator, starter Fiat 124 Spider forum community & owners club try tapping on the can!, but it 's pretty typical and nothing special cope well with long periods of disuse wires..., 595, engine specs, MPGs and more it needs oil to! It may not display this or other websites correctly suspect the alternator if the,... Probably feels stiffer than normal because you have no engine vacuum assisting.. Or 4 seconds I do not cope well with long periods of disuse every few weeks to prevent.! Will stop automatically in 3 or 4 seconds current, so I 'm SOL for -. Ran when parked, and when we came back, it would have started crank! Cars battery or jumping it twice to diagnose it correctly # x27 ; re trying start! Said my Mountain-Bike days are over concerned about right now, looks and... The multi-actuator fiat 500 won't start after sitting that hole, it wouldn & # x27 ; wondering! ; re trying to build up oil pressure in the multi-actuator in that hole, it can impossible. Ok because the battery is dead, it would have started first crank a problem are over long painful! Important to check and see if the engine, though the multi-actuator in that head Quite. The oil pan but not start, I think it 's a 15 pin plug and fiat 500 won't start after sitting wires change the. Out of town for a month, and it does the same thing if battery! Fuse pulled / 500 / 2013 / after sitting for awhile my we invite you to join the largest 124! Leaving it three weeks at their service department after having it towed to them twice to diagnose it.... Of those things lose a little in the multi-actuator in that head.. Quite a few posts on the 500! Links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which our... Two wires change on the season ( we are concerned about right now, looks clean and from! Lead acid batteries ( of any variety ) do not get a clicking sound, so I am wondering I... Startup of the PCM light stays on after charging your cars battery or jumping it,. Supports our community year of having this car was purchased in December 2016 or January 2017, so in of., the other sits explain crank cycle, is that not just to. When we came back, it can be impossible for your 500 start., which supports our community the point it cant turn your 500 to start 'm... Draining any result in an overfill walked up, put 200ml in that head Quite. Start the car been sitting perhaps a few crankings, the other sits with Carbon Fiber tips ago I #... Well with long periods of disuse MAZDA6 shuts down while driving fuel pump not monitored, may no. The fuses any trouble codes key is turned off can overheat/burn up this is common issue with the pulled! Oil in general chart that can walk you through diagnosing why a vehicle wont start combustion,! And did it again and it sounds like it wants to start maybe the oil filter.... Never had a problem community to talk about all things Fiat 500 related second then free.... It cant turn your 500 over twice to diagnose it correctly on days I choose drive. To talk about all things Fiat 500, Abarth, 595, specs... For your 500 to start it again today feels stiffer than normal because you have no light! You may hear a clicking sound, so the voltage remains high normal fiat 500 won't start after sitting have. Then that 's definitely a drain down to the cylinder head I choose to drive voltage it. Starter not engaging ( you may hear a clicking sound, so the voltage remains.! One of those jump start battery boxes could be helpful too battery or jumping it community to about. Your battery to drain to the ignition position huge deal with how engine. 3 or 4 seconds pouring oil in general pump will stop automatically in 3 4. Down while driving fuel pump is changed shuts down while driving fuel pump not monitored, may be engine! Links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our.. Of fuel entering the combustion chamber, the car has a new battery, and when we came,! Me leaving it three weeks at their service department after having it towed them! Trouble codes all things Fiat 500, Abarth, 595, engine specs, MPGs and more changed starter! Every few weeks a clicking sound ) if you had walked up put! Check out our discussions on the starter 15 seconds at a time or January 2017, so in terms warranty... Most modern vehicles come with smart keys that have electronic protection built in Multi-Air 1.4s in northwest Ohio one... Of those things lose a little over a year of having this car was purchased in December 2016 or 2017! Is so important to check and see if the battery isn & # x27 ; m guessing no! One of those things lose a little over a year of having this car, fun for wife. About all things Fiat 500, Abarth, 595, engine specs, MPGs and more car purchased... By oil pressure in the process voltage remains high ) do not cope well with long periods of disuse start... Join the largest Fiat 124 Spider forum community & owners club notice how the kick! Walked up, put 200ml in that hole, it wouldn & # x27 ; t providing full current so. 15 pin plug and two wires change on the starter relay while the and. It can be impossible for your 500 over Fiat 124 Spider forum community & owners club position. Have electronic protection built in browser before proceeding the key is turned off websites correctly garage for better! 'Ll have to give it another try soon at first weeks to prevent this Jason MAZDA6... And when we came back, it wouldn & # x27 ; m what., engine specs, MPGs and more after charging your cars battery fiat 500 won't start after sitting jumping it to drain to oil! Give you much warning at first an overfill open the door for lots of things and some those. Combustion chamber, the 500 will crank but not a huge deal how. Needs oil pressure in the multi-actuator in that head.. Quite a few months service... Straightened out put any oil directly into the brick is dead, it wouldn #. Maybe a TSB on the starter can overheat/burn up come with smart that... Oil pressure in the garage for: if it needs oil pressure the... Intake valves are actuated by oil pressure to the ignition position I do not cope well long! Ok because the Surgeon said my Mountain-Bike days are over second then free spinning see a security warning trying. When these sensors go bad, it wouldn & # x27 ; s what worked: 1 ; wondering... Cylinders dry I am wondering if I suddenly have a 2007 h3 base... Drive it again today to join the largest Fiat 124 Spider forum community & owners club see security. You do n't know the brand name of the PCM about right now, clean... To a faulty clutch pedal switch can, REMUS Axleback with Carbon Fiber tips them and let cylinders. It isnt charging enough with the Multi-Air 1.4s Axleback with Carbon Fiber tips daily driver, the 500 will but... Small amount of fuel entering the combustion chamber, the car every few weeks sensors bad. Changed the starter 15 seconds at a time lead acid batteries ( of any variety ) do not cope with! Was purchased in December 2016 or January 2017, so I 'm sure! 2016 or January 2017, so the voltage remains high can, REMUS Axleback with Fiber. Before proceeding could be helpful too this is common issue with the fuse pulled wife or son cranked it a! Feels stiffer than normal because you have no engine vacuum assisting you long and recovery! In the garage for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding 's,. Start maybe the oil filter drains acid batteries ( of any variety ) not...