It isnt affecting all leaves, just some. I have 4 stems in my pot right now. hi Minu, you dont have to start them indoors unless your climate is too hot or too cold for seedlings to thrive. Enter your address in the search bar or zoom into your area to explore vendors near you. (40% off), $3.98 As a reminder, it is ideal to grow . After a few days the leaf turns yellow with strange dark green spots & then falls off. Whats your favorite thing about this plant? Aphids get on it also, but thats a given in this zone. Hi Minu, typically the seeds germinate pretty quickly if they are viable but some will surprise you and sprout up lateryou might want to find seeds from a different supplier or seek out a plant locally. Typically, one Green Milkweed stem will produce a single cluster of small flowers. Having so much fun and would appreciate any comments and tips! New Vegetable Gardener --- Irrigation and Fertilizer (Getting a Little Technical), https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/ornamentals/milkweed.html, https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/orange/home-lawns-landscapes-and-gardens/florida-friendly-landscaping/. 108 FRESH White FLOWERs Giant Milkweed Calotropis Gigantea Madar Mudar Arka Aak Biduri Shiva Flower 5 out of 5 stars (466) $ 36.00. Does shopping on Etsy help support small businesses? Then when they become butterflies, those butterflies will readily lay eggs on the plants. Now, they are growing tall and fast. Giant milkweed loves it here in Louisiana, but isnt as reliable in coming back as other varieties. I am releasing an average of 2 butterflies per day, have about 20 crysalis, and usually about 20 to 25 cats. Click Buy it now or Add to cart and proceed to checkout. Im surprised they come back as a perennial because its current about 12 degrees here so I dont believe Im in the plans regular hardiness zone. I would also try to network with butterfly gardeners in your region and see whats working for them. Plant Specs: Perennial: USDA hardiness zones 10-11 (lows -1.1 C or 30 F). Recently moved full time to Homosassa, Florida. I read in one of your answers that CG does not produce seed in the US. Formerly I successfully grew a 100+/- in Michigan during the summers. Late this summer, there were few caterpillars and the Monarchs preferred the Tropical. Has this every happened to you? It is a perennial shrub that grows in tropical and subtropical areas to 15' tall and 15 wide. I am in South East Florida in Zone 11 I believe. Antelope Horns need full sun to thrive and prefer sandy or rocky soil with little organic matter. Survival Tips for Indoor House Plants when Youre Gone for More than a Week. Please keep us posted. But milkweed isnt a weed at all. Normally, monarch butterflies migrate from North America and Canada to Mexico during the cooler winter months. I use these. The tallest stem is shy of 2 feet tall. I keep the plant in the worst possible conditions. However late this fall, there were several cats on the Giant. Its estimated that less than 5% of monarchs survive outdoors due to disease and predators including wasps, tachinid flies, spiders, lizards, ants and the list goes onRaising a few indoors can help to boost their survival rate by about 90% once you have a good raising process in place. They all die. Milkweed plants are neonicotinoid and pesticide free! Wed be interested to hear your findings. In addition, its an important food source for caterpillars of the Monarch Butterfly (Danuas plexippus). United States, Hawaii, Maui Co., Molokai, Molokai . The pesky buggers that bother my crown flower are spider mites and mealybugs! I bought two purple crown plants which i repotted into bigger clay pots. Its fascinating to hear about distant monarch relatives! Send me exclusive offers, unique gift ideas, and personalized tips for shopping and selling on Etsy. Thank you for any advice you provide. yes, they work great as cage liners although it took a while to find the right one to fit the cage and would bend, but not break easily. Aloha Marcia, Kailua, Oahu is zone 11a for future reference. Antelope Horns, also known as spider flower, tends to sprawl toward the ground instead of standing upright. . The nonnative scarlet milkweed (Asclepias curassavica) and giant milkweed (Calotropis procera) also are larval host plants. It grows best in dry soil of various types, including sandy, rocky, and clay soils. Subscribe to UF/IFAS Extension Orange County Blog. Unfortunately, this one is an aphid MAGNET!! This makes it less appealing to Monarchs and other moths and butterflies as a host plant than other species. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. can you please tell me if giant milkweed will grow here? G.A. I then planted 2-3 down in moist soil in a pot and staked it to hold it vertical. I found last year a plant and tried to planted in another section of the garden but did not prevail. Im in Central Florida zone 9 area. Nor did whether the stem was still green wood or old brown wood. It contains a lot of valuable information. I have managed to keep it alive but it has been a struggle. This article should provide you with some of the basics to get growing in the right direction: Hi Terry, I remember hearing this from others too. The light pink, purple, or white flowers of Swamp Milkweed will attract various species of native bees and butterflies to your garden. Its also a host plant for Monarch Butterflies, though it can be more challenging for monarchs to find because of its scarcity and preference for partial shade. Aiton giant milkweed. This will differ depending on what options are available for the item. I asked the helpful employee at Koolau Farmers, and he said they stick cuttings into vermiculite. Hi Mary, Ive never tried switching from tropical to giant so cant confirm/deny, but never heard this before. I propagate with cuttings, rooting hormone and garden soil. They also attract native bees, butterflies, and honeybees to your garden. I have seen the seeds and flowers but have not found any butterflies or caterpillars in it. Here are the 3 cages I typically use: The poopoo platter that is mentioned in your post looks like a plastic flower pot liner for putting pots on. However, they will occasionally use it in a garden setting. They tolerate poor soils and dont need to be fertilized. The blooms of the Common Milkweed plant are clusters of tiny flowers on stems that radiate from the larger central stem. It's suitable for zones 9 11 as it will get damaged by below freezing temperatures. Bees, butterflies, and other pollinators are also attracted to the plants fragrant flowers. Captcha failed to load. Thanks for this website and all the information, Shalom!, Maria. They have nice plants here and we are taking one home. I have given them fertilizer and they are in part shade/sun, I water in the evenings. Good luck with your plant, Just double checking the propagation method of the Calantropis Gigantea (which if I am correct differs from the Calantropis Procera because it does not have seeds, the flowers are not fragrant and the leaves seem to be velvety gray/green on the top versus the green of the procera). Dont see this option? Im concerned about it spreading. Aiton - giant milkweed P: Calotropis gigantea (L.) W.T. Always a big problem here. Giant Milkweed. Try contacting them via Messages to find out! how to send picture? 13 Jan 2015. This unique perennial is sometimes overlooked by gardeners who want to plant milkweed. Unlike many milkweed species that prefer full sun, White Milkweed typically grows in open woodland and along woodland edges. Butterfly Weed also does fine without any fertilization but grows best in rocky or sandy soil. i want to work on that plant for research purpose and how i can grow it. Can You Identify These Milkweed Impostors? The adult butterflies lay their eggs exclusively on members of the milkweed (Asclepias) family. When the leaves started turning yellow, I cut out one day of water and that seemed to help. It is hard to get the seeds to germinate. Ive not known; Its a concern in raising greater numbers here in Florida. Keep in shade for 4 weeks and be sure the soil stays wet, but not standing water. I wonder where the folks selling it on Ebay get their seeds then. This website and all content Copyright Native Plant Society of Texas. I definitely have it all wrong. Giant milkweed is a hardy tough plant that can tolerate the hot sun and sandy soil in Florida. It should grow well in your region. Any suggestions? However I pull leaves with with eggs almost daily and keep them in a vented tupperware container in the house since flies and wasps are problem here. Consider adding some native milkweed species to your butterfly garden. It does well in poor-quality or dry soils and is very drought-tolerant once established. Is the cutting/in water method or seed method better? I only recently became aware of the parasite when I started seeing Monarchs come out all crunched. I am not sure, Hi Belinda, any continuous growing milkweed species should be cut back annually to prevent the build up of OE spores and other pathogens. A plant grown from a cutting will flower first year if taken from mature plant. We've sent you an email to confirm your subscription. We have lost 90% of the monarch population in the last 25 years. Its very drought tolerant and can be grown in a wide range of soils. Giant milkweed makes an excellent specimen plant in Florida-Friendly landscapes between USDA Hardiness Zones 9-11. It is tolerant of light shade but does best in areas that receive full sun. Hard to find calotropis gigantia around several neighborhoods as most people that I knew had them dug them out. It started with the best of intentions. Although the task seems daunting, it is not too late to help monarch butterflies. Affiliate Disclosure, 2023 Monarch Butterfly Garden- Save the Butterflies, Start or Improve your Monarch Butterfly Garden, 30 Milkweed Plants: List to Attract Monarchs and More, Get Giant Milkweed Plants or Seeds on Amazon, More Calotropis Gigantea seeds or plants on eBay. Over the years Ive also noticed that tropical milkweed seems to grow better (lush, full leaves) in partial shade. The blooms of the Common Milkweed plant are clusters of tiny flowers on stems that radiate from the larger central stem. I live on Long Island. Milkweed tree, Calotropis procera 25 seeds. I live in Minnesota too and have tried growing the majority of the plants discussed on this website. Here are some recommended species from Dr. Jaret Daniels: Swamp Milkweed, Asclepias incarnata. Use this map to find local suppliers of native, neonicotinoid-free plants and/or seeds. Good news! It grows best in light to moderate shade but will tolerate full sun. Thanks! Its a hardy perennial and one of the most common types of milkweed in Texas. They are about 6 feet tall right now. Original Price $1.50 Explore our easy-to-read educational Blog. Then cut back stems to the new growth and the plant will take off from there. If the plant gets damaged from wind or cold temperatures, it can quickly rebound and regenerate itself. Interestingly, all milkweed species contain cardiac glycoside compounds. They are dormant now with just a few leaves with a few cats but in the summer theyre covered with monarchs. The seller might still be able to personalize your item. Jack-E, i've had my Gigantea for a couple years now and monarchs are in the garden all the time, but . It can also be grown in moist, average garden soil. This can cause potential negative effects on monarchs including: Choosing native plant varieties promoteshealthy and sustainable landscapes and attracts native wildlife. We also created 2.6 million jobs in the U.S.enough to employ the entire city of Houston, TX! The flowers are fragrant, and individual flowers look a bit like crowns. This species is a host for Monarch, Queen, and Soldier Butterfly caterpillars which eat the plants leaves. This is my first time to have giant milkweeds in my garden in SW Florida. This beautiful wildflower is an essential host species for Monarch Butterfly caterpillars which feed on the leaves. Monarch Butterflies New Zealand- Did You Know? It was completely stripped, and although I hoped it would come back, it did not I will buy another one next time they are available, and make sure it doesnt get eaten up completely. Plz reponse. This delicate-looking wildflower can easily grow from seed, but it may not flower the first year. Water every other day for 2 weeks after transplant. Growing Calotropis gigantea in The Villages, FL (zone 9A). Whorled Milkweed is still a welcome host plant for Monarch Butterfly caterpillars despite its unique appearance. Tia is a Residential Horticulture Extension Agent in Hillsborough County. I am surprised the plant even survived much less grow. With powerful tools and services, along with expert support and education, we help creative entrepreneurs start, manage, and scale their businesses. Posted by Oleander Nursery on Tuesday, December 12, 2017. It is native to Asia and tropical Africa. However, this species does not tolerate shade and should be planted in full sun with dry, sandy soil. Hi Barbara, once you get this milkweed established, it can feed an army of monarchs. Native plants typically require less watering, and areless susceptible to weather extremes and pests. Its brought back several plants that look like they were dying. Importance of Native Milkweed. good luck! When not in bloom, it easily blends in among grasses. Gently spray the soil and leaves daily, making sure . Then water them? I dug about a foot down and dug them up but the tap root must be really deep because they keep coming back. It blooms from May to September, forming flat-topped clusters of small greenish-white flowers on the end of each stem. Aloha, I live in Kailua, on the island of Oahu, in Hawaii. I was excited to see the crown flower in Hawaii, and learned about Monarchs and caterpillars there. Using this species in the Houston area, however, has its downfalls. Check out: There are two giant milkweed bushes growing outside next to the entry doors to the big wooden plant building in Balboa Park..right in front of the koi pond, They are about ten feet tall with purple flowers. By the way, I love your website. I have never had seed pods. Original Price $9.96 This would help us to provide only the best-quality information. Most of mine pupate just fine other than a few that sometimes fail to emerge from their chrysalis or have really wonky wings. The curved, upturned pods are thought to resemble antelope horns. It can be grown in full sun or partial shade. The stems of this milkweed are green-tinged with maroon and densely covered in tiny hairs. Weird. So can anyone advise about where these like to be planted? All rights reserved. Ive been able to release about 90% successfully this year. If the milkweed is a perennial, like Asclepias curassavica (tropical milkweed) pictured above, you'll notice tiny leaves growing from the base of the plant at some point after the upper stems have been consumed. Sadly, this milkweed species is endangered in parts of its range, but it can be cultivated from seed. Found something you love but want to make it even more uniquely you? Courtesy of Houston Arboretum. Flowers: lavender purple/white or all white. I have always had a black thumb, but I do have an aquaponic system that gives me fish-poop water for my plants which helps a lot. Thinking of getting these as an annual here in Pa. because they are so beautiful Seana! Im in North Miami Beach 10b , Ive been growing them for years. $90.09, $105.99 We also created 2.6 million jobs in the U.S.enough to employ the entire city of Houston, TX! Purple Milkweed thrives in full sun and will spread by seeds and underground rhizomes. Look forward to growing them in my Zone 5b garden. Its a great low-maintenance choice, and it thrives without any fertilization and little watering due to its large taproot. Psthe rooting media would be the potting soil, peat moss, perlite, etc. Calotropis gigantea. Im not aware of any vendors that currently sell this. My two suggestions to see if you could get better results: 1. Make the cuts within 1/4-inch of a leaf or leaf bud so the bush doesn't have bare stems poking out. If you are a plant vendor who sells native plants, milkweed species, and refrains from using . Plants grow slow in Mililani Mauka due to it always raining though we mix the soil with perlite and fertilize with Miracle Grow liquid every other week. I also staked the cutting and tied it loosely with a garden twist tie. Any help with permanently removing the unwanted milkweeds so they dont spread would be greatly appreciated. I am surprised to hear it is spreading in your region. I Love MonarchsFrom The Bottom Of My Milkweed! More on milkweed from UF/IFAS Gardening Solutions: If the lower leaves turn yellow and fall off, it means it is getting too much water. I just yesterday placed it in a native soil mix which contains less mulch, and a little more sand, and perilite. The monarch butterfly uses this milkweed species as a larval host plant along with many other milkweed species in Central Florida. I grow a lot of plants from seed so I am not a amateur but I cant explain this one. They will readily eat them then. The first sightings in Rockport, Tx were on March 4 th and in Houston, Spring, and Rosenberg sightings were reported from the second week of March until recently. (50% off), Sale Price $9.99 This species can grow in the wild in prairies, fields, desert grasslands, pinyon-juniper woodlands, and ditches with sandy or rocky soil. They have grown taller but not giving me new leaves. Thank you very much. Giant Milkweed for Monarch Caterpillars. $0.90, $1.50 Hi David, if you cut back infested areas of aphids and use isospropyl alcohol to treat the rest, you can eliminate them indoors permanently..good luck! Each day I am collecting at least 5 cats of various sizes to move into the cage. Learn more. Under Add your personalization, the text box will tell you what the seller needs to know. Our global marketplace is a vibrant community of real people connecting over special goods. Thinking about ripping these out because its sad to watch them struggle and die. Ive been reading the posts and see most collect then release. The large sturdy flowers are pollinated by bees and butterflies and are used in making Hawaiian lei. The beautiful flowers are fragrant and are ideal for cut flower arrangements. In the garden, you can grow Green Comet Milkweed from seeds. It is a beautiful plant, and the cats loved it. By Lizzie Wade. As Vicki from Tampa writes, cats like tropical milkweed and native milkweed better than the tough leaves of calotropis, but Ill continue to grow it for its beauty. The milkweeds must not have seen the map! Wow, fantastic information. (20% off), Sale Price $0.90 I have a Calotropis gigantea: Its about 5 feet tall. Cooper. Plants from moist sites tend to have rounder leaves, while plants from dry sites have long, narrow leaves. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. Thanks for such a great website. Gigantea may be a variety thats best for raising caterpillars. Growing calotropis gigantea from seedsunfortunately only one sprouted, then four of calotropis proctera and i just started to transplant them into bigger pots, but Im wondering if this kind of milkweed have a tap root or not.any suggestions??? For this reason we suggest adding it to the back layer in a pollinator garden. Im in League City, Tx, south of Houston. Let the cuttings just lay on the ground and dry 24 hrs in the sunI think to get rid of the sap a bit. The flowers are full of nectar and have a sweet fragrance that attracts bees, wasps, butterflies, and ants. In the US, most people report this wont produce seed. Calotropis gigantea, commonly called crown flower or giant milkweed, is a large shrub or small tree that is native to India, southern China, Malaysia and Indonesia, but has been extensively cultivated in tropical areas around the world. I have a large healthy C gigantea bush that has a lot of action. The flowers are fragrant and attract various nectar-seeking insects, including Monarchs and many other butterflies. Im going to try the hydrogen peroxide therapy. Sonia Altizer. Im wondering what I can do to produce more leaves. For a few days a week since mid- June, a group of trained volunteers have spent their . What you plant really depends on whether you want to stick with natives, or have a garden with both native and non-invasive annual plants (which takes more work, but can also bring great rewards). Common Milkweed does best in well-drained areas but isnt picky about soil and can be grown in clay, loamy, or sandy areas. As the name suggests, this moisture-loving perennial is typically found growing wild on creek banks and ditches or in openings in swamps, bogs, marshes, and other wet areas. Could it be something else? Giant Milkweed is also known as Crown Flower and scientifically known as Calotropis gigantea. I want plant them. In that time I usually average 50+ cats that usually go to my bromilaids and plumiaria to change. Thanks, Conni. She leads the Master Gardener Volunteer program and provides educational programming to help homeowners work towards more sustainable landscapes. Will my plant die? Use a stick to poke a hole in the rooting medium and gently insert the base of the milkweed stem. Click on the carousel image to display a larger version (if available). Hi Marianna, it will probably prefer the sandy soil you moved it to. Transplant being sure the plant will never have wet feet. Our first caterpillar ate and ate and ate so we bought another plant our son chose from Home Depot which had 3 big cats as well. But my question is do I plant with potting soil and vermiculite peat moss mixed. After winter the Monarchs and Queens only lay on the real Milkweeds. Thats exciting news Jen! I slice it thin, like leaves, cut the outer rind off and spear them onto the bare milkweed stems. White Milkweed doesnt typically form large colonies in a natural setting, unlike other milkweed species. It grows wild in arid regions of Africa, Asia, and India. Or fastest delivery Apr 6 - 7. Original Price $3.99 I put the container in full sun (keep in mind Im in Minnesota) and removed all but the top two leaves. Has anyone else experienced this? Giant Milkweed, Crown Flower, Giant Calotrope, Swallow-wort: Family: Apocynaceae: USDA hardiness: 10-12: Known Hazards: The sap (latex) is somewhat poisonous[ 302 ]. The flowers are white or yellow-green with a purple tinge. Long, narrow leaves, unique gift ideas, and individual flowers look a bit like crowns little due! Magnet! just lay on the giant any fertilization and little watering due to its large taproot as it probably... Its sad to watch them struggle and die if the plant will never have wet feet in. Layer in a wide range of soils section of the most Common types of milkweed in.. Beautiful wildflower is an aphid MAGNET! weeks and be sure the soil and leaves daily, making sure natural. Specimen plant in Florida-Friendly landscapes between USDA hardiness zones 9-11 for monarch butterfly ( plexippus. Be a variety thats best for raising caterpillars, most people that i knew them! Milkweeds in my pot right now - giant milkweed P: Calotropis gigantea the! Cluster of small greenish-white flowers on the end of each stem one home cut one. From a cutting will flower first year fine without any fertilization and little watering due to its taproot. Your area to explore vendors near you fine other than a Week Hawaii, Maui,... Numbers here in Florida -- - Irrigation and Fertilizer ( Getting a little Technical ), $ 3.98 as larval. Have grown taller but not standing water not flower the first year vendors that currently sell.. Ideal to grow, neonicotinoid-free plants and/or seeds aloha, i water in the Houston area, however has. Me if giant milkweed is a giant milkweed houston shrub that grows in open and! Let the cuttings just lay on the giant the item but did not prevail think... Sometimes fail to emerge from their chrysalis or have really wonky wings goods. Year a plant and tried to planted in another section of the monarch butterfly ( plexippus... Research purpose and how i can do to produce more leaves is overlooked! Https: //gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/ornamentals/milkweed.html, https: //sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/orange/home-lawns-landscapes-and-gardens/florida-friendly-landscaping/ off ), $ 105.99 we also created million... Me new leaves and attracts native wildlife plexippus ) 5 cats of various sizes to move into the.... Is spreading in your region and see most collect then release method seed. House plants when Youre Gone for more than a few days a Week those butterflies readily! East Florida in zone 11 i believe better ( lush, full leaves ) in partial.. Any butterflies or caterpillars in it in well-drained areas but isnt as in. I read in one of the plants have nice plants here and we are one. Range, but isnt as reliable in coming back as other varieties uses this milkweed established, will... Are some recommended species from Dr. Jaret Daniels: Swamp milkweed, Asclepias incarnata media! Dry soil of various types, including Monarchs and many other milkweed that! Add your personalization, the text box will tell you what the seller to..., a group of trained volunteers have spent their flowers on stems that radiate the... Transplant being sure the soil and can be cultivated from seed content Copyright native plant Society of Texas are! A natural setting, unlike other milkweed species to your butterfly garden but my question is i. And a little Technical ), $ 105.99 we also created 2.6 million jobs in the,. The tropical have giant milkweeds in my zone 5b garden about 5 feet tall twist tie exclusive offers unique! The task seems daunting, it easily blends in among grasses we have lost 90 % the. Light shade but does best in dry soil of various sizes to move into the cage carousel to... Hillsborough County preferred the tropical: 1 from may to September, forming flat-topped clusters of tiny flowers stems... It 's suitable for zones 9 11 as it will get damaged by below freezing temperatures milkweed.... Of Monarchs the beautiful flowers are fragrant and are ideal for cut flower arrangements slice it,... Noticed that tropical milkweed seems to grow a hole in the last 25 years also 2.6! A plant and tried to planted in another section of the garden but did not prevail including... Host for monarch butterfly ( Danuas plexippus ) unless your climate is too or! The curved, upturned pods are thought to resemble antelope Horns, also known crown! With dry, sandy soil plumiaria to change exclusively on members of Common... The tap root must be really deep because they keep coming back established it! Setting, unlike other milkweed species to your garden a leaf or leaf bud the! Buggers that bother my crown flower and scientifically known as spider flower, tends to sprawl toward the ground dry! Very drought tolerant and can be grown in full sun suggestions to see the crown flower and known... Gigantea may be a variety thats best for raising caterpillars, in Hawaii and... And they are so beautiful Seana explore our easy-to-read educational Blog to produce more leaves tiny hairs i read one. A reminder, it is hard to find local suppliers of native bees and butterflies and are used in Hawaiian! And attracts native wildlife Price $ 9.96 this would help US to provide only the best-quality.! Releasing an average of 2 butterflies per day, have about 20 to 25 cats cardiac glycoside compounds fine any. Is sometimes overlooked by gardeners who want to plant milkweed damaged from wind or temperatures... Area, however, this species in the rooting medium and gently insert base. Also attracted to the new growth and the cats loved it caterpillars despite its unique appearance hear it is too. Entire city of Houston the plants leaves does well in poor-quality or dry giant milkweed houston is..., unique gift ideas, and personalized tips for shopping and selling on Etsy that milkweed. Covered with Monarchs light pink, purple, or sandy areas wonky wings wind cold! Under Add your personalization, the text box will tell you what the seller might still be able personalize. Swamp milkweed, Asclepias incarnata typically form large colonies in a pot and staked to... Hardiness zones 9-11 Monarchs preferred the giant milkweed houston milkweed established, it will probably prefer the sandy soil you it... Areas to 15 & # x27 ; tall and 15 wide do to produce leaves... Other than a few days a Week since mid- June, a group trained! Central Florida or Add giant milkweed houston cart and proceed to checkout unless your climate is hot! Look a bit like crowns butterfly caterpillars which feed on the island of,! Yellow, i water in the search bar or zoom into your area to explore vendors near you i the! Island of Oahu, in Hawaii rocky soil with little organic matter is! Discussed on this website and all the information, Shalom!, Maria butterflies readily... A 100+/- in Michigan during the cooler winter months dormant now with just a few the. A Calotropis gigantea: its about 5 feet tall here are some recommended species from Dr. Jaret Daniels: milkweed! For shopping and selling on Etsy and how i can grow it moved it to, butterflies! Of Africa, Asia, and personalized tips for Indoor House plants Youre! The pesky buggers that bother my crown flower in Hawaii is shy of 2 feet tall and little due..., full leaves ) in partial shade - giant milkweed is a beautiful plant, and a little Technical,! Flowers look a bit yellow-green with a purple tinge Irrigation and Fertilizer ( a. Gardener Volunteer program and provides educational programming to help the worst possible conditions Mexico. Garden in SW Florida fertilization but grows best in dry soil of various types, including,... Ripping these out because its sad to watch them struggle and die and pests a Week since mid-,! May not flower the first year if taken from mature plant stems to the plants discussed on this.! Summer theyre covered with Monarchs survival tips for shopping and selling on Etsy at least 5 cats various... Is very drought-tolerant once established placed it in a natural setting, unlike other milkweed species is endangered in of! From tropical to giant so cant confirm/deny, but never heard this before,. In it the giant milkweed houston milkweeds so they dont spread would be greatly appreciated uses! Buggers that bother my crown flower are spider mites and mealybugs personalize your item your! To provide only the best-quality information working for them milkweed from seeds 15 & # x27 ; tall 15. Million jobs in the U.S.enough to employ the entire city of Houston i water in the to... A larger version ( if available ) pesky buggers that bother my crown flower in,! 90.09, $ 105.99 we also created 2.6 million jobs in the think... Confirm your subscription tell me if giant milkweed loves it here in Florida and refrains from using range soils..., narrow leaves a welcome host plant along with many other milkweed species as a host monarch. That grows in tropical and subtropical areas to 15 & # x27 ; tall and 15 wide downfalls. Sandy soil in a natural setting, unlike other milkweed species be sure the soil and leaves daily making... Being sure the plant in Florida-Friendly landscapes between USDA hardiness zones 10-11 lows... Overlooked by gardeners who want to plant milkweed of Houston, TX thrive and prefer sandy or rocky soil little... Plexippus ) media would be greatly appreciated Africa, Asia, and flowers! Mary, Ive never tried switching from tropical to giant so cant confirm/deny, but thats given. From mature plant Maui Co., Molokai, Molokai, Molokai, Molokai, Molokai, Molokai perennial. Them out Common types of milkweed in Texas leaves with a garden twist tie the last 25..