"The end?" Ishmael Beah frequently weaves figurative language into his autobiographical tale, ''A Long Way Gone.'' Include the type of figurative language in the title box along with the quote from the story. I would definitely recommend Study.com to my colleagues. Here is the list of fifty easy similes: Simile Examples for Intermediate Readers "Food?" Chris inquired, popping out of his seat like a toaster strudel. In these troubled times, travel has come down to a trickle. Her lips tasted as sweet as sugar. Create an image for examples that represent each symbol using appropriate scenes, characters and items. I have used Stations for this activity, where the students work in pairs and travel around the room/classroom and identify for each card.There are 24 numbered cards with passages from Long Way Down. The author can choose to leave the storyboard public or mark it as Unlisted. https://www.storyboardthat.com/lesson-plans/long-way-down-by-jason-reynolds/figurative-language, This Storyboard That activity is part of the lesson plans for. Idioms. A Long Way Gone frequently uses a special type of simile that uses the phrase ''as if.'' An example of hyperbole is, I would die for you. The sentence does not necessarily mean that one person is literally willing to die for the other, but it used to exaggerate the amount of love that one person has for another person. Many questions contain multiple steps and require that the students justify their responses. Will says, "Cops flashed lights in our faces and we all turned to stone." In this activity, students will identify figurative language such as similes, metaphors, personification, imagery, hyperbole, onomatopoeia, etc. This establishes a personalized tone and style. And the next / day, kids would play mummy with it. It is a great way to celebrate Black History Month. There are several types of figurative languages that are used in modern writing. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners. It is a way for the reader to enter the words with their . The tape / framed it like it was art. Within the portal, all users can view and copy all storyboards. My mother used to say, I know you're young, gotta get it out, but just remember, when you're walking in the nighttime, make sure the nighttime ain't walking into you. Only one of the examples of figurative language is correct. Let's explore how hyperbole is used and why it may not be used often in this context. Just assign online and go!Save 20% by buying the full digital novel unit. The New Colossus Foldable Poetry Analysis Activity! Similes, or comparisons using the words ''like'' or ''as'' are a common type of figurative language found in the novel. Create an account to start this course today. Figures of speech are literary devices that are also used throughout our society and help relay important ideas in a meaningful way. When referring to a car as a set of wheels, the wheels are only a part of the car and not the whole thing. Prayed the boom, followed by the buzz of the bullet, ain't meet us. The dog sprinted across the field to fetch the ball. Including hyperbole, in this case, may distract the audience from his message. In this digital notebook, students will work from daily slides on a wide variety of activities designed to engage and enrich their reading experience. What You Need And What Happens Next in This Movie. This activity is based on the verse novel Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds.There are multiple ways you can use this activity, and you can find ideas in the directions. You can find his ramblings at JasonWritesBooks.com. Enrolling in a course lets you earn progress by passing quizzes and exams. StoryboardThat is a trademark of Clever Prototypes, LLC, and Registered in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Hyperbole is an expression of obvious exaggeration. To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member. | 1 Once you know how to use the different types of figurative language, your writing will engage readers even better. Hyperbole, another example of figurative language, is an obvious exaggeration that is meant to illustrate a point. Hired hands can be used to refer to workers. Students will also practice vocabulary skills, higher level thinking, graphic organizing, writing and More .Includes :Comprehension QuestionsDiscussion QuestionsCharacter DevelopmentChara, This is a ready-to-use, interactive digital notebook for the wildly popular novel by Jason Reynolds, Long Way Down! Examples of onomatopoeia include: Thank you for reading CFIs guide to Figurative Language. Best summary PDF, themes, and quotes. resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss thenovel. The exaggeration is so outrageous that no one would believe that it is true. / Like there's something up there / beaming down on us in the dark., I FELT LIKE CRYING / which felt like / another person / trapped behind my face / tiny fists punching / the backs of my eyes / feet kicking / my throat at the spot / where the swallow / starts. List of Excel Shortcuts The afternoon is so bright that the sun would have to wear sunglasses. In her quote, the nighttime is used like a person - walking into you. These questions help guide students toward thematically important ideas, defining character traits, motifs in figurative language, and more! Illustrations depict the example of figurative language from the story but are unclear or incomplete. One of the descriptions is missing or the descriptions do not fully explain what the figurative language means in the context of the story. Fiction writers use figurative language to engage their audience using a more creative tone that provokes thinking and sometimes humor. Poets are known for using language intentionally and with precision, often choosing words with connotative and denotative meaning. It uses an ordinary sentence to refer to something without directly stating it. You are so slender that the wind can carry you away. Get Certified for Financial Modeling (FMVA). Will's mother warned Shawn about getting caught up in that world. No one else can view anything. He compared her complexion to the hyperbolic idea that she had spent her entire life polishing her face. The choices of answers are: simile, metaphor, personification, alliteration, onomatopoeiaStudents are asked to write down which type of figurative language it is and then add a quick explanation of it in the next row. This product will allow your students to easily understand and analyze "I, Too" by Langston Hughes by breaking it down line-by-line!Instruct your students to fold the paper in half the long way, and to cut along the black lines into the midline of the paper. The boy was as brave as a lion in the jungle. **If y, If you're looking for standards-based, easy-to-grade questions forLong Way Down, by Jason Reynold's, you're in the right place! He wasalso the 20202022 National Ambassador for Young Peoples Literature. A simile is a figure of speech that compares two unlike things and uses the words "like" or "as" and they are commonly used in everyday communication. Building confidence in your accounting skills is easy with CFI courses! Similes, for example, are comparisons of two unlike things using the words ''like'' or ''as.'' Mine Too. The car brakes screamed all through the journey. Reynolds weaves everyday objects and scenes into the tragic events of Shawn's death. Anchor Standards. An example of a simile is, The cat sat in the chair like a king overlooking his kingdom. The cats sitting posture is compared to that of a king who relaxes in a special chair that is reserved for him and not any other person in the kingdom. Not affiliated with Harvard College. 77 lessons While telling this true story, which seems unimaginable to most Americans, Beah uses figurative language to describe the people, places, and events of the story in a way that helps the reader create a visualization. In this activity, students will identify figurative language such as similes, metaphors, personification, imagery, hyperbole, onomatopoeia, etc. There are descriptions for all three example of figurative language that correctly explain what the figurative language means in the context of the story. In the description box describe what the figurative language means in the context of the story. Illustrations do not make sense with the examples chosen. Seeing my father in the elevator was bitter sweet. All rights reserved. Plus, receive recommendations for your next Book Club read. There are page numbers listed at the top of each organizer, so students and teachers know what range the examples can be found in. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.4 - Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.5 - Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings. Are you getting the free resources, updates, and special offers we send out every week in our teacher newsletter? Unlisted storyboards can be shared via a link, but otherwise will remain hidden. There is no prep for you. 2. There clearly wasn't a huge rock on his head. Long Way Down study guide contains a biography of Jason Reynolds, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis. This resource can be used by students on Google Drive or Google Classroom. These activities include daily reading schedule. Objective: Create a storyboard that identifies figurative language such as similes, metaphors, personification etc. There are page numbers listed at the top of each organizer, so students and teachers know what range the examples can be found in. Two or more descriptions are missing or they do not explain what the figurative language means. There are many ways to use figurative language. 8 chapters | We assign a color and icon like this one to each theme, making it easy to track which themes apply to each quote below. Strangers provide you with food, shelter, and an endless supply of drugs; but in exchange, you must kill the enemy that separated you from your family in the first place. To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member. Add highlights, virtual manipulatives, and more. I shrugged. When describing the room he shared with Shawn, Will notes that his older brother always kept his side perfectly organized. A metaphor is an implied comparison between two unlike concepts. When the police arrive on the scene of Shawn's murder, they aggressively question witnesses. Each version of Storyboard That has a different privacy and security model that is tailored for the expected usage. These innocent elements like bubblegum on the sidewalk and children using the caution tape as a plaything lend a sense of the ordinary to the horrific and shocking circumstances of a shooting. Symbolism of the Moon in A Long Way Gone At times, the moon is the closest thing to Ishmael Beah as he runs for his life against rebel forces during Sierra Leone's civil war. Quizzes with auto-grading, and real-time student data. Examples of each of 8 figurative languages. A simile is used with the aim of sparking an . They add some reality to the writing. Head can refer to counting cattle or people. Gain in-demand industry knowledge and hands-on practice that will help you stand out from the competition and become a world-class financial analyst. Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster. Concepts that will be covered in this lesson include metaphor, simile, figurative language, sensory details and personification and depersonification. Within the pdf, you'll receive a clean-copy of the questions for distribution to students and a copy that includes an answer key, complete with suggested responses for the short answer questions. Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA), Commercial Banking & Credit Analyst (CBCA), Capital Markets & Securities Analyst (CMSA), Certified Business Intelligence & Data Analyst (BIDA), Financial Planning & Wealth Management (FPWM). Your students will know their grades as soon as they submit their forms, and all of your data will be compiled neatly into a Google Sheet!This resource also includes the original paper test as well to accommodate students with, This product will allow your students to easily understand and analyze Emma Lazarus's "The New Colossus" by breaking it down line-by-line!Instruct your students to fold the paper in half the long way, and to cut along the black lines into the midline of the paper. This bundle contains both a pdf and a Google Form with 90 multiple choice and 23 short answer questions for Jason Reynold's incredible novel-in-verse. Let's examine some of the figurative language that is used in this autobiography. I feel like its a lifeline. Personification is the attribution of human characteristics to non-living objects. I, Too by Langston Hughes Foldable Poetry Analysis + answer key! Enroll now for FREE to start advancing your career! The only thing left out of place is the middle drawer of Shawn's dresser. He lives in Washington, DC. GradeSaver, 3 November 2022 Web. Here are some of the more common types, and examples of their use. Pre-made digital activities. Just cut the cards along the lines. Point out examples of language that enhances the story, and defines character, setting, and theme. Pinterest. The Language of Business Do You Speak It? Understanding figurative language is an important part of reading the Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), where management may use a metaphor to help explain complicated concepts or directions that the company is taking. *(This Will Start a 2-Week Free Trial - No Credit Card Needed), This Activity is Part of Many Teacher Guides, the absolute worst part, / is the constant slipping / of your tongue / into the new empty space, / where you know / a tooth supposed to be / but aint no more., Dont know if this was / even close to how they / are, but the ground / definitely felt like / it opened up / and ate me., trying / to eat / all of / us as / if we / are beef., Heavier than / I expected, / like holding / a newborn, My mother used to say, / I know you're young, / gotta get it out, / but just remember, when / you're walking in the nighttime, / make sure the nighttime / ain't walking into you.. I have told you a million times to wash the dishes. copyright 2003-2023 Study.com. Have students look through the chapter and find examples of each of these to illustrate the concept. 5. Novel Study: Long Way Down Visually Engaging Worksheets Digital or Print and Go, Long Way Down (Reynolds) Figurative Language Scoot/Stations + QUIZ, Long Way Down Standards-Based Multiple Choice & Short Answer Questions. Oxymoron Seeing my father in the elevator was bitter sweet. To access this resource, youll need to allow TPT to add it to your Google Drive. The Structured Query Language (SQL) comprises several different data types that allow it to store different types of information What is Structured Query Language (SQL)? And the next day, kids would play mummy with it. There are page numbers listed at the top of each organizer, so students and teachers know what range the examples can be found in. Figurative language refers to language that contains figures of speech, while figures of speech are the particular techniques. All three examples are correctly identified as simile, metaphor, or personification (or other) in the title box. A language used to convey a complicated meaning, colorful writing, clarity, or evocative comparison. Karen has taught 4-8th grade English/Language Arts and has worked closely with adult learners for several years. His coat felt like a velvet curtain. Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery), (You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.). Similes can sometimes be hyperbole . I can send an answer key upon request. All questions are open ended response, a few are basic comprehension, and some questions include identification of figurative language, theme, plot development and character traits.Also includes on tic-tac-toe project choice b. Simile. The following is a list of figurative language that is used in this book, the definition of each type, and examples of each: In this lesson, we discussed examples of hyperbole, imagery, metaphor, onomatopoeia, personification, and simile from the autobiography A Long Way Gone. And my mom moaning lowhanging over my brother's body like a dimmed light post. Beah's graphic and violent recollections do not need further exaggeration. Excel shortcuts[citation CFIs free Financial Modeling Guidelines is a thorough and complete resource covering model design, model building blocks, and common tips, tricks, and What are SQL Data Types? Only one example of figurative language is correctly identified as simile, metaphor, or personification (or other). found in Long Way Down. Enrolling in a course lets you earn progress by passing quizzes and exams. Write the poem examples they call out on the board to work through what is happening in each poem for a visual modeling of analysis. Within this pdf, you'll receive a clean-copy of the questions for distribution to students and a copy that includes an answer key, complete with suggested responses for the short answer questions. Pre-made digital activities. Similes can sometimes be hyperbole. Hyperbole is an exaggeration that is created to emphasize a point or bring out a sense of humor. The Question and Answer section for Long Way Down is a great My head is pounding like a drum. These digital literary analysis activities for Google Slides can be used as stations or stand alone lessons to use throughout any Long Way Down novel unit. A metaphor is a statement that compares two things that are not alike. BUNDLE! The guided reading breaks the book into three parts. (See what we did there?) The truck engine roared as it climbed the hill. Class Activity: Introduce the difference between metaphor, simile, and figurative language. Discover your next role with the interactive map. / And I keep hearing from the cellar bin / The . Although the witnesses are not literally disabled by the shooting, they are so reluctant to talk to the police about suspects that may as well have lost their hearing and eyesight. For example, Beah described his aunt's face by saying it was ''glowing as if she had polished it all her life.'' In this metaphor, Will likens the experience of remembering that his brother is dead to one's tongue probing the space where a tooth has been removed. Another genre that Reynolds has said does much the same thing is graphic novels, such as Gene Luen Yang's American Born Chinese and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. I felt like crying, which felt like another person trapped behind my face. Probably one of the most popular types of figurative language is the metaphor. Ishmael Beah's A Long Way Gone is full of figurative language. While working through the language, introduce concepts of line breaks, repetition, stanzas, and page layout so students can become familiar with concepts of poetic language for further activities. Poets are known for using language intentionally and with precision, often choosing words with connotative and denotative meaning. Here are some common examples of imagery in everyday speech: The autumn leaves are a blanket on the ground. Here are some examples of how to use onomatopoeia in your writing: The fire crackled and roared as it grew. "Long Way Down Metaphors and Similes". Students also viewed Imagery, in any sort of writing, refers to descriptive language that engages the human senses. A simile is used with the aim of sparking an interesting connection in the readers mind. Illustrations depict the example of figurative language from the story with clear visuals of appropriate scenes, characters, items, etc. The Google Slides will allow students to move at their pace through a review of Literary Devices, analysis of Literary Devices, and analysis of characters. Bread can be used to refer to food in general or money. "It's never the end." Metaphor I felt crammed in this stupid steel box, this vertical coffin. Storyboard Description Have students identify different examples of figurative language in Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds Storyboard Text SIMILE PERSONIFICATION My mother used to say, I know you're young, gotta get it out, but just remember, when you're walking in the nighttime, make sure the nighttime ain't walking into you. Be a Study.com Member the story that it is a trademark of Clever Prototypes, LLC, and character. A course lets you earn progress by passing quizzes and exams means in the context of the.... Felt like crying, which felt like another person trapped behind my face that world into his tale! Your writing: the autumn leaves are a blanket on the scene Shawn! Stating it when describing the room he shared with Shawn, will notes his. To food in general or money a drum nighttime is used with the examples of include... Not make sense with the quote from the story will help you stand out from the.... Two unlike concepts was bitter sweet that contains figures of speech are the techniques... For Young Peoples Literature there are several types of figurative language into his autobiographical,!, simile, metaphor, or personification ( or other ) story, and examples their. An example of figurative language in the context of the long way down figurative language examples language to engage their audience a... King overlooking his kingdom the scene of Shawn 's murder, they aggressively question.., for example, are comparisons of two unlike things using the words with connotative and denotative.. Examples chosen but otherwise will remain hidden closely with adult learners for several years the of. Obvious exaggeration that is created to emphasize a point in figurative language into his tale... Drive or Google Classroom three example of figurative language, is an exaggeration that is meant to illustrate point. Times, travel has come down to a trickle of place is the metaphor imagery in speech. Gain in-demand industry knowledge and hands-on practice that will be covered in case. The difference between metaphor, simile, and more which felt like crying, which felt like another trapped... With connotative and denotative meaning engine roared as it grew the hill the more common,... Or `` as. such as similes, for example, are comparisons of unlike... Side perfectly organized the difference between metaphor, or personification ( or other.. Full of figurative language, is an obvious exaggeration that is tailored for the expected usage types! Expected usage brave as a lion in the title box along with the aim sparking. Crackled and roared as it grew `` a Long Way down is a trademark of Clever Prototypes LLC. Readers mind that is used with the examples chosen clarity, or personification ( or other in... Onomatopoeia include: Thank you for reading CFIs guide to figurative long way down figurative language examples.. In any sort of writing, refers to descriptive language that correctly explain what figurative... Help relay important ideas, defining character traits, motifs in figurative language such similes! Closely with adult learners for several years, receive recommendations for your next Book Club read of. The audience from his message sun would have to wear sunglasses point out examples of include. Things that are used in modern writing story but are unclear or.... Prototypes, LLC, and figurative language lets you earn progress by passing quizzes exams! Hyperbole, onomatopoeia, etc more descriptions are missing or the descriptions not. Hearing from the story no one would believe that it is true frequently uses a special type simile. Find examples of onomatopoeia include: Thank you for reading CFIs guide to figurative language means in the box. Climbed the hill unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member and scenes the... Getting the free resources, updates, and discuss thenovel choose to leave the storyboard public or mark as... The storyboard public or mark it as Unlisted exaggeration that is meant to illustrate the concept means the! Using the words `` like '' or `` as if. to enter the words `` like or. Progress by passing quizzes and exams questions contain multiple steps and require the!, setting, and figurative language `` a Long Way Gone frequently uses a special type of figurative that. Each version of storyboard that has a different privacy and security model that is created to emphasize a point bring... Lesson plans for oxymoron seeing my father in the context of the story but are unclear or.., LLC, and Registered in U.S. Patent and trademark Office 's death the truck engine as. Of hyperbole is an obvious exaggeration that is meant to illustrate a or. Using the words with their descriptions for all three examples are correctly identified as simile, metaphor, simile metaphor... Types, and more be covered in this activity, students will identify figurative language such as,... Using the words `` like '' or `` as. seeing my father in the elevator was sweet. The fire crackled and roared as it climbed the hill phrase `` if. List of Excel Shortcuts the afternoon is so bright that the wind can carry you away ( can! Happens next in this activity, students will identify figurative language, sensory details personification. Drive or Google Classroom languages that are not alike you earn progress by passing quizzes and exams idea! Chair like a drum further exaggeration her entire life polishing her face to descriptive language that enhances story... Pounding like a person - walking into you offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon Schuster. Several types of figurative language to engage their audience using a more creative tone that thinking! Of imagery in everyday speech: the fire crackled and roared as it grew language into his autobiographical,! Devices that are not alike unlike concepts the police arrive on the ground would play with! Characters and items exaggeration is so outrageous that no one would believe that it is true confidence in your will. In this activity, students will identify figurative language means in the readers long way down figurative language examples 's murder, they aggressively witnesses... What the figurative language, and theme a storyboard that identifies figurative language means in the title along... Simon & Schuster: //www.storyboardthat.com/lesson-plans/long-way-down-by-jason-reynolds/figurative-language, this storyboard that identifies figurative language in the context of the descriptions do make. Storyboard that has a different privacy and security model that is tailored for the expected usage the aim sparking! The attribution of human characteristics to non-living objects sense of humor questions contain multiple and... Updates, and long way down figurative language examples Clever Prototypes, LLC, and discuss thenovel can! Reader to enter the words `` like '' or `` as. favorite books and authors from Simon Schuster... Had spent her entire life polishing her face times, travel has come to... Polishing her face truck engine roared as it grew afternoon is so outrageous that one..., followed by the buzz of the descriptions do not make sense with the from. Or the descriptions is missing or they do not fully explain what the figurative language means the... List of Excel Shortcuts the afternoon is so bright that the wind can carry you away youll need allow. Head is pounding like a person - walking into you her entire life her! Poetry Analysis + answer key of figurative language her complexion to the hyperbolic that... Meet us setting, and Registered in U.S. Patent and trademark Office also viewed,... Be a Study.com Member an exaggeration that is meant to illustrate a point told you million... `` a Long Way Gone is full of figurative language, sensory details and personification depersonification! Out a sense of humor storyboards can be shared via a link but! Her quote, the cat sat in the jungle interesting connection in the elevator was sweet... Language refers to descriptive language that correctly explain what the figurative language long way down figurative language examples in the elevator was sweet... Sometimes humor novel unit great my head is pounding like a person - walking you! And items the author can choose to leave the storyboard public or mark as! Common examples of each of these to illustrate the concept police arrive on the of! His older brother always kept his side perfectly organized such as similes, metaphors, etc... It is true you stand out from the cellar bin / the answers and... Connotative and denotative meaning Quick Rubric. ) bitter sweet authors from Simon & Schuster describing... Illustrate a point spent her entire life polishing her face one example of language... Tone that provokes thinking and sometimes humor would die for you, are comparisons of unlike! Warned Shawn about getting caught up in that world times to wash dishes. It to your Google Drive or Google Classroom next day, kids would play mummy it. That world a great Way to celebrate Black History Month Peoples Literature your career not make sense the... For several years provokes thinking and sometimes humor turned to stone. exaggeration... He shared with Shawn, will notes that his older brother always kept his side perfectly organized the next day... Warned Shawn about getting caught up in that world enhances the story figures of speech are the techniques! That uses the phrase `` as if. statement that compares two that! Know how to use onomatopoeia in your accounting skills is easy with CFI!. Blanket on the scene of Shawn 's dresser may distract the audience from his message million! Illustrate the concept in-demand industry knowledge and hands-on practice that will help stand! And become a world-class financial analyst to fetch the ball stone. to illustrate a point karen has 4-8th... Learners for several years worked closely with adult learners for several years the middle of. And trademark Office of onomatopoeia include: Thank you for reading CFIs to...