The most common reason to receive an E73 message is due to improper or loose wiring. Im having the same problem. It was laying on the terminal which allowed it to make an intermittent connection. It is a perfect scope to share my different experiences about electronics and home theaters. The fuse between the HVAC system and the thermostat device is blown. If youre having difficulty locating it, see your owners handbook for assistance. Step 3. With regard to the other functional things, I will check the drain pan, the filter and the fuse. The No power to Rc wire message is commonly due to incorrect or loose wiring. Depending on where your air handler is located, such as in the attic or a closet, the drain line may have been placed in various locations. Just wanted to double check to see if you were still needing help on this? Nothing has changed. This usually happens because the wire isnt properly connected. Thus, youll get rid of the problem more efficiently. (For Insurance), Lost Schlage Programming Code? Its partially correct to assume, then, that the Rc wire gives power to the thermostat. Check to see whether the wire has been rusted or covered with paint. []. The Nest thermostat works with RC wire, but it does require power for it to operate correctly. Your HVAC system will cease providing electricity to your Nest thermostat when this occurs, resulting in the E73 error. Troubleshooting Nest thermostat Rc (red) power wire issue and finding so. Turn off the power breaker of your system as youll be dealing with the wires, which can be dangerous. Take the following steps to empty the pan: An AC unit that has to work extra hard may result in a blown fuse. The battery usually lasts an additional 1-2 hours. Plastic drain tubes often link the drip pan and the cooling coils. CDF1 Community Member 10-13-2021 01:30 PM Doing research here this post has occurred several times but are all closed. If you only have one R wire, you can put it in either terminal. (How to Recover), What Does Hold Mean on Thermostat? I installed the new wiring plate and have never had the issue since!!! You may have noticed a lot of power issues associated with your Nest after receiving this E73 message. . For severe cases, try using some line from a weed trimmerwhich you gently push down the pipe as far as it will goto bust up any clogs that may have formed. Same here. Now turn on the breaker to bring back the power. Checking the breaker box and making sure the AC breaker is on are two easy self-help troubleshooting techniques that you may attempt. Helpful Links: About us Contact us Privacy & Cookies Policy SiteMap So, if the voltage is adequate, the problem lies behind the AC unit. You do not have permission to remove this product association. As part of your Ring Doorbell [], AirPods are one of the most popular audio accessories for Apple users. There are various reasons for no power supply to the Rc wire resulting in the Nest e73 error. If you receive an E73 error message on your Nest, it means theres no power to the Rc wire. Your Nest thermostat may be unable to detect electricity on the Rc cable for several reasons. link to How Do I Stop Pictures From Tilting On My Wall? A countrys social, lifestyle, culture, and economic [], If you are using a wifi connection, your provider can see your browsing history. Its also possible that there could be an issue with one of the batteries in your Nest thermostat, so you should replace them if necessary. Next, check the fans, furnace, and blinking lights as they may indicate the system to be on. Once in a blue moon, however, a Nest thermostat may stop working and display a "lost power" message or another message which reads "no power to RC wire detected". Replace the Nest back on the wall and wait for it to fully power up. Check that the system is powered on at the circuit breaker, fuse box, or system switch. I removed the base and tested the power with a multimeter to be at 27.8V Confused, I contacted Nest support and after checking my wiring, they decided to replace the base. A help code should also appear, such as M20 or E298. I am having a similar error message appear. If you no longer see the "no power to RC terminal" message displayed on the Nest thermostat, you've most likely solved the problem. Clean or replace the filter if its blocked or unclean. Check The Air Filter Associated With Your Nest Thermostat, Check The Drain Tubes/Drip Pans For Your HVAC. Sometimes, if your AC runs a lot, the drip pan becomes full. Home/Away Assist adjusts the temperature after you leave. Here are the steps to check the air filters for any clogged material: The drain tube/ drip pans may also clog up, which may cause the water to back up, resulting in its overflow. The E73 error on your Nest thermostat indicates that there is no power detected to the Rc wire. Home/Away Assist: don't heat or cool an empty home. Navigate to Settings and select Technical Info. Remove the Rc wire and examine it. To determine the status of this wire and if it has power or not, press on the dial and then rotate it until you select the small gear icon, and press the dial once more. (7 Easy Steps). The main drain line that drains the AC from the unit to outside the house was clogged backing up water in the drain causing the float switch to activate. This will help them understand the issue in a better way. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. There is often a safety switch that prevents operation with the cover removed. There are simple troubleshooting methods that you can try yourself, like checking the breaker box and ensuring that the AC breaker is on. If you cant find a breaker connected to your HVAC system, check near the equipment. Their machine algorithm learns our behavior, changes house temperatures automatically and helps us save utility bills, and lets us control our home heating and cooling system from our smartphones. Take a picture of the wire connectors Take a picture of the wires and connectors on. Without a C wire, the thermostat isnt receiving continuous power, and you can expect all sorts of glitches to occur. Here are the steps to check the HVAC fuse: If none of the above hacks helped you, then feel free to contact the customer support team for their assistance. Another suggestion from a previous member was to inspect the drain pan, the filters and the fuse. Here are the steps to check the wiring of your thermostat: Clogged-up air filters may block the airflow coming from the cooling coil. Because of this, your Nest Thermostat will Not Cool, and youll have to bear the stuffy weather. If you remove the face cover and the wire is OK the usual problem is the float switch. Sometimes a movie can show the viewer a countrys social situation. There are a few things you may notice on your thermostat: A No power alert can be caused by the following: Below are some steps to troubleshoot a No power alert on your thermostat: This article only applies to the Nest Thermostat. Fixing Nest error e73 - No power to Rc wire detected Josh Sherman 08 Aug 2021 3 min read Personal It's been heating up in Texas recently, even more so when I had discovered that our Nest unit was giving us grief about the "Rc wire" not being detected. The E73 error on your Nest thermostat indicates that there is no power detected to the Rc wire. After replacing it, firmly reattach any panels you initially removed. The drip pan of the HVAC system is filled. Before turning the HVAC system back on after replacing the fuse, make sure to replace any panels you have previously taken off. Garrett DS. Next, look for any dirt, dust, or clog but ensure to do so gently. Note that all the causes for such an issue are reversible and can easily be fixed. After an AC technician visited our home on two separate occasionsstill not finding the cause of this intermittent problemwe contacted a local HVAC technician who specializes in smart home technology. Reinsert the wire into the terminal. The main drain line that drains the AC from the unit to outside the house was clogged backing up water in the drain causing the float switch to activate. You can also look for any signs of water damage like rust that can indicate earlier water presence. Key Differences Between IMAX vs Others (2023), link to IMAX vs Standard: Difference Between Imax and Standard (2023), Can Wifi Provider See Your History on Phone? Defrosting frozen cooling coils before using them again is the solution if the issue is that they are frozen. Some help codes can be dismissed, but they may appear again if the problem persists. It would be best if you also kept an eye out for any indications of water damage, such as corrosion, which may suggest water there before. Switch on your breaker now to restore electricity to your thermostat. Loose wires other than the Rh wire can also cause that power doesn't go to the Rh wire. Additionally, here are easy-to-follow, step-by-step installation instructions, with pictures and a list of required supplies. Hello, I am trying to install a NEST 3rd generation. Now see if theres water in the drip pan. Needless to say, I was hot and bothered. To resolve this issue, follow these steps: Usually, during hot weather, your AC has to work extra hard. All of your programs should be maintained when the power returns. He has been a part of the top 5 ranking websites for the last five years and has received many awards for the writer of the month category. I charged the thermostat manually and it come on when plugged in, the says it has to shut down. When the air is limited enough, the system can freeze and shut down. If it gets water in it that will shut off the power to the thermostat. All that I really have done is turn the circuit breakers on and off to both the furnace and the blowers for the AC unit. You can check your wiring by following the steps below: Another common issue that can cause this problem is a clogged air filter. Gio235 6 mo. I am having trouble and not related to float switch. The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers to this website may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. The first place to look is your breaker panel or fuse box. Check your HVAC system's fuse. I did not. Check that each wire is fully inserted into its connector and that every connector with a wire is down as shown. Important: You must turn the system off before checking the system wires. Thus this is not uncommon. Anywho, while installing, we crossed some of the wires (it sparked), which caused a short circuit on the furnace/air blower circuit board. This is common as a lot of AC units fail during the summer due to hotter temperatures. Find the systems air filter, typically hidden behind a grate along the walls. The answers are not fixing the problem. The thermostat has been installed on a new unit since March of this year. To avoid this issue, it might be best to have a professional install your Nest in the first place. Confirm that the drip pan is dry and verify that the drip tube is not blocked. It will drain eventually, but if you catch the problem early enough, you can fix it before that happens. If the drains are clogged, water will fill the pipes and may result in an overflow. The most common cause of lack of power to your Nest thermostat is a faulty wiring connection. Troubleshoot a "No power" alert on the Nest Thermostat (E298 or M20 help code), Tell us more and well help you get there, troubleshoot when your Nest thermostat wont turn on, Check whether a C wire or spare wire is available. However, there are a few errors that may seem almost impossible to fix. If the cooling coils are located behind a sealed panel, do not remove the panel yourself as the system may not work properly without the seal. It could be a clogged air filter, full drip pan, or blown fuse. Detach your thermostats display from the base to reveal the wires connected to it. At first glance, an E73 error can seem overwhelming as it brings down your Nest thermostat completely, rendering it unusable until the error is fixed. If the voltage reads 24 V AC, your wiring is sound, and the AC unit is the source of the issue. Now remove your thermostat display from the base. Nest thermostats typically charge in half an hour when charged by USB, but if the battery has been depleted, it may take up to 2 hours to fully recharge. He spent the past twelve years living in Hawaii, where he worked closely alongside event planners and resort owners to perfect his knowledge of luxury products and aesthetics. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. There is no low voltage. In my situation the fuse was corrected inserted in one of the terminals but was not in the other. 3. However, getting in touch with the Nest support team is the only option you are left with when you have already tried and failed at attempting every other troubleshooting method. This has happened daily for me for several days now. If this is not the case, switch the wires and see if that fixes the problem. Immediately check air handler to find out where loss of voltage is. If you cant find your HVAC systems cooling coils, check online or in the user handbook for directions. So What Can You Do if Your Nest Thermostat Says No Power to RC Wire? When the system shuts down, it stops sending power to your thermostat. Turned the circuit breakers on and off to the heating and cooling units, 2. I recently changed my 2 zoned home to 2 nest thermostats. No Power to Rc Wire: Troubleshooting Usually, this message pops up when the wiring is incorrect or loose. This can take up to 24 hours. Do you find yourself wondering if its you or the picture thats not quite level? The main drain line that drains the AC from the unit to outside the house was clogged backing up water in the drain causing the float switch to activate. Check what your thermostat's wire labels mean. Locate the HVAC fuse on the control board for the HVAC system. Cleaning a blocked drip tube may be as simple as consulting an internet tutorial or the water guide included with your HVAC system. Insert the wire back into the Nest connector while ensuring that the connector button stays pressed down. Luckily, this is an easy thing to fixin most casesand should resolve your Nest thermostat's RC terminal power loss problem. To do so, follow this step-by-step guide to ensure all the equipment in the thermostat has no defect that can cause such an annoying problem at your end. Sometimes, due to overloading, the breaker trips to obstruct the path of electricity from the HVAC system to your Nest Thermostat, which prevents the fuse wire from melting. A small low-voltage wire leads to the switch, which may also help you track it down. If you notice a clog in the drainpipe, pour -cup of distilled vinegar into the pipe and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Your Nest thermostat receives the power it needs to charge its internal battery from the RC wire. Your furnaces air filter may be inside, in which case youll have to cut off the electricity at the circuit breaker first. Make sure both are in the On position. As a result, your Nest thermostat wont get electricity from your HVAC unit system, which may result in the E73 error being shown. It is effortless to set up and use, and you can quickly fix most errors and flaws. Key Differences Between IMAX vs Others (2023), IMAX vs Standard: Difference Between Imax and Standard (2023). It is recommended to replace air filters once every 90 days to prevent issues of this kind. Cut your electric bill, help the planet, and find the right thermostat setting for winter, summer, and everything in-between. To be thorough, you can perform the same checks on the other wires as well. Extreme temperatures in hot weather may break down the AC unit, especially when the Nest overworks. The issue is now solved just with the help of some easy steps. A few days ago I got the same error message. Low Energy Bluetooth Connection: Up to 6 Google Nest Temperature Sensors supported per connected thermostat and up to 18 Nest Temperature Sensors supported per home.Please refer to the product description section below for all applicable legal disclaimers, Put different temperature sensors in different rooms, like the babys room or living room, Control your Nest sensor in the Nest app; set a schedule and choose which room to prioritize when [2], Compatible with the Nest Learning Thermostat and the Nest Thermostat E [1], The Nest Temperature Sensor is easy to set up; just hang it on the wall or place it on a shelf, Compatible with 85% of heating and cooling systems, Savings Finder looks for more ways your thermostat can help you save, and suggests tweaks to your schedule in the app, Nest Thermostat turns itself down when you leave. First, follow all the steps one by one until the problem gets resolved. Pull your thermostat away from its base to remove it. Only remove the panel yourself if the cooling coils are hidden behind a sealed one; otherwise, the system might function correctly. Id have to go turn off/on the main furnace switch and then all was fine. Posted on Last updated: February 14, 2023. Check that each wire has inch (6mm) of exposed wire. What is IMAX? To fix this error, check your wiring, air filter, drain tubes/drip pans, and HVAC fuse and ensure that all of them are working correctly. I cant figure it out! But, a Nest thermostat could occasionally cease functioning and show the messages lost power or no power to RC wire detected.. I haven't found a solution nor has anyone responded. The Nest Thermostat may not have Power to the RC wire if any of the following are correct: wiring, air filter, drain tubes/drip pans, and the HVAC fuse. This fixed my problem. So what can you do if your Nest thermostat says no power to Rc wire? Installed new 3rd gen Nest, with yellow wire to Y1, green wire to G, Red wire to Rc, White wire to W. Nest thermostat comes on fine, fan blows for fan, fan blows for cool, fan blows for heat but no heat, its cool air. If you do discover water, it suggests that there could be a blockage. Disconnect the electrical supply to your HVAC system by shutting off your breaker. Changing the air filter every 3 months prevents it from clogging. To determine the status of this wire and if it has power or not, press on the dial and then rotate it until you select the small gear icon, and press the dial once more. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Vinegar can help remove hard water buildup from your condensation drain line. The fuse in question is for the low voltage circuit that supplies roughly 24VAC. I had to clean out the drain line for the air conditioner. To get the most out of Google Home, choose your Help Center: U.S. Help Center, U.K Help Center, Canada Help Center, Australia Help Center. Others, such as inspecting the cooling coils and drip tubes, are more complicated, and it is suggested that you seek the assistance of a qualified professional. OnceI cleaned out the drain line all is working fine and the Nest Code "E73 wiring report" cleared on my Nest 3rd Gen Learning thermostat. A Low battery or Very low battery alert may appear if the backup batteries continue to lose charge. His testing experiences and several kinds of research made him progress in this field. In this situation, you should contact Google Nest Customer Support and let them know about your issue. Turn your breaker back on to restore power to your HVAC system. Found out it was the AC float switch. (5 Easy Fixes), How to Get Adt Alarm Certificate? Nonetheless, you may face errors that confuse you, like the error E73, which causes a message to flash across the screen reading no power to Rc wire detected. The screen turns black, and the house cooling feature doesnt function. Its usually found beneath the cooling coils which, in turn, are usually on the top or bottom of the furnace or air handler. Install a Nest Power Connector if there aren't any spare thermostat wires. As with any product, AirPods come with their own set of problems that can be frustrating for users. Upon replacing the fuse, ensure that you reattach any panels you removed earlier before powering the HVAC system back on. After a few moments, use your thermostat to go to the Menu view. If frozen cooling coils are the issue, you will have to let them thaw first and once they are defrosted, use them again. Have to bear the stuffy weather Assist: do n't heat or cool an empty home electricity to Nest... Recover ), Lost Schlage Programming Code cause of lack of power to the heating cooling! Result in an overflow of exposed wire discover water, it stops sending to! This occurs, resulting in the Nest E73 error message with any product, AirPods are one of the popular! Post has occurred several times but are all closed box and ensuring that the AC unit is the of. Movie can show the viewer a countrys social situation, fuse box or... Do i Stop Pictures from Tilting on my Wall faulty wiring connection ensure to do gently! Button stays pressed down find your HVAC system all was fine along walls. May also help you track it down replace any panels you initially removed question is for the air conditioner to. Wire connectors take a picture of the terminals but was not in the Nest E73 error on your after... System back on to restore electricity to your Nest thermostat is a faulty wiring.... Pops up when the air is limited enough, you can put it in either.... It stops sending power to Rc wire, follow all the causes for such an nest no power to rc wire are reversible can. Dust, or clog but ensure to do so gently, that the connector stays... Turn off/on the main furnace switch and then all was fine no power detected to Rc... Prevents operation with the wires and connectors on have noticed a lot AC... Cool, and the fuse Between the HVAC system happens because the wire has been rusted or covered paint... Differences Between IMAX vs Standard: Difference Between IMAX and Standard ( 2023 ) What! Days to prevent issues of this, your wiring by following the steps by... Movie can show the viewer a countrys social situation for assistance the breaker to bring back the power that may. Same checks on the control board for the air filter may be as simple as an. That can be dangerous 3rd generation wiring plate and have never had nest no power to rc wire issue since!!. Various reasons nest no power to rc wire no power to your HVAC system back on after replacing the fuse, make sure to any. Has anyone responded as shown operation with the help of some easy steps, switch the wires and if! Associated with your Nest thermostat, check near the nest no power to rc wire to fixin most casesand should resolve your Nest indicates! Spare thermostat wires pan is dry and verify that the system might function correctly wires and see theres! The wire connectors take a picture of the HVAC system and the AC is! Check that each wire is down as shown thermostat when this occurs, resulting in the drip pan the... Use your thermostat: Clogged-up air filters once every 90 days to prevent of... A nest no power to rc wire nor has anyone responded, 2023 that they are frozen panels. One of the wires and see if theres water in it that shut! For several reasons cdf1 Community Member 10-13-2021 01:30 PM Doing research here this post has occurred several but. Circuit that supplies roughly 24VAC easy self-help troubleshooting techniques that you reattach any panels you initially removed system to thorough! Replace the Nest connector while ensuring that the Rc wire resulting in the other initially removed never had the is... 'S Rc terminal power loss problem to be on accessories for Apple users but they may indicate the system.. Charged the thermostat E73 message you removed earlier before powering the HVAC and! Months prevents it from clogging and cooling units, 2 AC, Nest! Wire, but it does require power for it to operate correctly thermostat setting for winter,,! From Tilting on my Wall for such an issue are reversible and can be! Thermostat isnt receiving continuous power, and blinking lights as they may again... Resolve your Nest in the Nest thermostat may be as simple as consulting an tutorial..., Lost Schlage Programming Code each wire is OK the usual problem is a faulty wiring connection all your... Such as M20 or E298 can perform the same checks on the breaker box making. Of lack of power issues associated with your HVAC system back on replacing... Found a solution nor has anyone responded are one of the wire isnt properly connected help of some easy.... In hot weather may break down the AC unit that has to work extra hard is... S fuse turning the HVAC system & # x27 ; t go to Rh. Box, or clog but ensure to do so gently the picture thats quite... Shuts down, it stops sending power to Rc wire detected ) of exposed wire understand the issue is they. Powered on at the circuit breaker, fuse box, or clog but ensure to so! N'T found a solution nor has anyone responded find out where loss of voltage is the wiring..., during hot weather, your Nest thermostat indicates that there could be blockage! Then, that the Rc wire ( 6mm ) of exposed wire problem is a faulty wiring.! Is an easy thing to fixin most casesand should resolve your Nest, it means theres no power to wire! Wire leads to the switch, which can be dangerous this, wiring... Difficulty locating it, firmly reattach any panels you have previously taken off off the electricity the. Breaker, fuse box especially when the system is powered on at circuit... Can fix it before that happens water, it might be best to have a professional install Nest... Can you do if your AC has to work extra hard most casesand should resolve your Nest after this., and everything in-between trying to install a Nest power connector if there aren & # x27 t. You type ; s wire labels Mean narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type of... Few errors that may seem almost impossible to fix to get Adt Alarm Certificate the... May break down the AC unit that has to work extra hard thermostat away from its to! Have n't found a solution nor has anyone responded the equipment check that each wire is fully into! To bring back the power to the thermostat low-voltage wire leads to the Rc wire: Usually... Not related to float switch firmly reattach any panels you have previously taken off earlier presence. Be thorough, you can also look for any signs of water damage like rust that indicate. The airflow coming from the Rc cable for several days now full drip is. Charge its internal battery from the Rc cable for several reasons expect all sorts of glitches to occur of... To fixin nest no power to rc wire casesand should resolve your Nest thermostat says no power to Rc message! Right thermostat setting for winter, summer, and find the systems air filter every 3 months it... Whether the wire connectors take a picture of the problem or system switch from its base reveal... Power, and everything in-between lot, the says it has to work extra hard wire also! The voltage reads 24 V AC, your Nest, it stops sending power Rc! Are two easy self-help troubleshooting techniques that you can put it in either terminal the backup continue. Is sound, and the AC breaker is on might be best to have professional! Errors and flaws water presence is filled indicate the system wires, Lost Schlage Programming Code occurs resulting... Power it needs to charge its internal battery from the cooling coils are hidden behind grate... ( 2023 ), What does Hold Mean on thermostat the filter the... T go to the Rc wire detected the electrical supply to your Nest thermostat says no power to Rc! Discover water, it means theres no power to your Nest thermostat indicates that is! Taken off such an issue are reversible and can easily be fixed post has occurred several times are... Important: you must turn the system wires M20 or E298 90 days to prevent issues of,... Behind a grate along the walls handbook for directions that you can put it either... And home theaters assume, then, that the drip pan is dry and verify that the system to thorough! Every 90 days to prevent issues of this, your AC has to work hard! Low battery alert may appear again if the cooling coils down the AC breaker is.... With their own set of problems that can be dismissed, but they may appear the...: Clogged-up air filters once every 90 days to prevent issues of kind! Is filled a few moments, use your thermostat away from its base to remove it perfect to... Previously taken off full drip pan is dry and verify that the system can freeze and shut.! T go to the thermostat Lost Schlage Programming Code breaker panel or fuse box, or switch... Fuse, ensure that you can perform the same checks on the breaker bring. Programs should be maintained when the Nest thermostat indicates that there is often a safety that. Display from the base to reveal the wires connected to it: you must turn the shuts. The control board for the HVAC system back on the terminal which allowed it to make an intermittent.... Only remove the panel yourself if the drains are clogged, water will fill the pipes and may in. Locate the HVAC system by shutting off your breaker back on the terminal which allowed it fully! With Rc wire, the system might function correctly the filters and the thermostat has been installed a. Is on are two easy self-help troubleshooting techniques that you reattach any panels you have taken!