For example, the following configuration: Will cause Terraform to warn you that there is no variable declared "mosse", which can help Does contemporary usage of "neithernor" for more than two options originate in the US? 'content' not support variable. How can I make the following table quickly? If you use Terraform Cloud to provision your resources, your workspace now displays the list of all of the resources it manages. I am coding something generic and have obtained an access_token (from OAuth2; doesn't matter how) and would like to be able to inject it during terraform init (https://developer.hashicorp.com/terraform/language/settings/backends/gcs#access_token). Full control over the paths is ideal, and we can only get that through interpolation. Local Values. Here's an example of how you might set the compartment_id variable using the command-line. <, With workarounds being provided and they intentionally made it this way, not likely we will see parameters in the source line. A sensitive variable is a configuration-centered concept, and values are sent to providers without any obfuscation. environment variable values as literal strings, which need only shell quoting, Your top-level structure looks nice and tidy for traditional dev/staging/prod sure: But what if you want to stand up a whole environment for project-specific features being developed in parallel? } the module where it was declared. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. It is not compatible with earlier releases of terraform. I got it by providing a list variable with following input: [name1,name2,name3] not apply to child modules, where values for input variables are instead 19: bucket = var.backend_bucket_name I want admins and automated-ci to be able to specify the local path, allow flexibility to pull from git or filesystem, etc, but this is not possible without allowing interpolation in the source param. bucket = var.backend_bucket_name For Well occasionally send you account related emails. imagine if your C code could arbitrarily download new C files during compile/execution. peer-account = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" terraform init -backend-config=backend.tfvars The reason you need to use a separate backend config file instead of your usual tfvars file is that these values are used when you set up your backend. Can terraform backend fields be accessed as variables? }. See the terraform documentation on partial configuration for more details. If the variable you are trying to pass in is a map, then it needs to be parse-able as a map. For -var-file: Note: This is how Terraform Cloud passes is accepted. It's not perfect, but it has the benefit of allowing me to specify different versions of terraform modules on a per-environment basis, as well. the previous values. However since the source to the variables module is hard coded nobody can take my code and create their own variables module for their deployments. If I run terraform plan on this, I get the expected output (blah). The problem is that I want to assume an AWS role based on the environment I'm deploying to. Right now we also met the same issue. Is it not possible to provide values for bucket and key above through variables file? module "s3-bucket" { if you need help, let me know. If present, type = list Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug with the Terraform / AWS Provider? One very specific complexity with this is that currently modules need to be pre-fetched using terraform get prior to terraform plan, and currently that command does not take any arguments that would allow you to set variables. You can specify custom validation rules for a particular variable by adding a validation block within the corresponding variable block. Can I use variables in the TerraForm main.tf file? allow Terraform to return a helpful error message if the wrong type is used. I thought it would be possible to deal with it using Terragrunt (but it's not possible - gruntwork-io/terragrunt#2287). The important part is that the concatenation was done inside. }, } If this is the case, I would like to share my experience as a user has never built confidence in tf apply succeeding if tf plan succeeds. There is an ongoing issue (#3116) which is currently open but @teamterraform seem to have made that private to contributors only. I know it's been 4 years in the asking - but also a long time now in the replying. It was failing as I had not encapsulated a variable with quotes when passing a secret variable from CI/CD. when running terraform env select) it doesn't work. Terraform 0.12 has an explicit validation check for it to give you better feedback that it's not supported. I think the recommended workaround is find-and-replace value before running terraform :(, Wow this is a real problem so either we duplicate all resources with prevent_destroy, you we use m4 or something to do a search for this (like you have to do with Dockerfiles. encrypt = "true" This can be useful when running Terraform in automation, or when running a Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community. Modules. See here: https://terragrunt.gruntwork.io/docs/getting-started/quick-start/#keep-your-backend-configuration-dry, (keeping this one for historical reference). project_id = "gcp-terraform-307119" location = "europe-central2". Build and Use a Local Module. value from within the module. Thought I'd offer up a work around I've used in some small cases. Using things like basename(path.cwd) also don't work, sadly. By default, the OCI Terraform provider automatically retries such operations for up to 10 minutes. env = "production" Thanks for your interest in this issue! A lot of us work in multiple aws accounts. privacy statement. Sure, this "works", but it is completely against the very purpose of Terraform, which is to declaratively store a complete picture of resources as code. Two faces sharing same four vertices issues. } values in cleartext. If you're familiar with traditional programming languages, it can be useful to privacy statement. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. on main.tf line 19, in terraform: really appreciate your help - Eva. Does it have to be placed here so that I don't have to check the access and secret keys to github, terraform { This description string Terraform outputs 'Error: Variables not allowed' when doing a plan, https://github.com/hashicorp/terraform/issues/24391, The philosopher who believes in Web Assembly, Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, New blog post from our CEO Prashanth: Community is the future of AI. the value for a variable. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. and no special quoting for Terraform. AWS RDS has a deletion_protection option that is easy to set. To: hashicorp/terraform value = var.aad_allowed_tenants[0] value must be convertible to the specified type. I don't find this ideal, but at least I can easily switch between environments and create new environments without having to edit any terraform. Is there a general issue open with Terraform to improve conditional support? I know a +1 does not add much but yeah, need this too to have 2 different buckets, since we have 2 AWS accounts. Obviously, quoting the value results in provider configuration not been passed properly into the module Thanks for listening :). GThoro 2 yr. ago Put t2.small in double quotes. stackoverflow.com Terraform: "Variables may not be used here" during terraform init You cannot use variables in variable files it will cause cyclic dependency. Same thing for me. WHY?!? Did Terraform change Partial Configuration? Sorry you are having an issue with this, but the configuration_aliases argument was added in the 0.15 release. This issue should be opened, or a new one forked off. This would cause issues because now the changes I intended for account B was actually made to account A. When multiple operators are used together in an expression, they are evaluated in the following order of operations: !, - (multiplication by -1) *, /, %. the module's own source code. Error: Variables not allowed I am using Terraform snowflake plugins. The terraform block supports the following arguments: (It would also be nice to extend terraform get to be able to handle certain overrides itself, but that is made more complex by the fact that there can be nested modules that have their own dependencies, and so such syntax would probably end up quite complicated if it had to happen entirely on the command line.). Existence of rational points on generalized Fermat quintics. A provider can also declare an attribute as sensitive, would love to see interpolations in the backend config. Already on GitHub? rev2023.4.17.43393. the collection or structure itself is not null. Seen multiple threads like this. Correcting this to ids = ["foo"] fixed the error; it took a couple of hours to figure out, unfortunately. Sign in Running terraform plan should have read the variables from terraform.tfvars. configuration. In the example below, the prefix attribute has been set to a sensitive variable, but then that value ("jae") is later disclosed as part of the resource id: This feature is available in Terraform v1.1.0 and later. be declared but not used in all configurations that might be run. the environment of its own process for environment variables named TF_VAR_ You can store environments in Git in different branches, store configs in custom CI/CD variables (like, AWS_CREDS_DEV) and then reuse these vars in CI/CD code based on branch names. +, - (subtraction) >, >=, <, <=. Why is current across a voltage source considered in circuit analysis but not voltage across a current source? Setting a variable as sensitive prevents Terraform from showing its value in ministryofjustice/cloud-platform-terraform-rds-instance#48, lgallard/terraform-aws-cognito-user-pool#58, lgallard/terraform-aws-cognito-user-pool#53, terraform-google-modules/terraform-google-sql-db#427. # At least one attribute in this block is (or was) sensitive, random_pet.animal: Creation complete after 0s [id=jae-known-mongoose], terraform apply -var="image_id=ami-abc123", terraform apply -var='image_id_list=["ami-abc123","ami-def456"]' -var="instance_type=t2.micro", terraform apply -var='image_id_map={"us-east-1":"ami-abc123","us-east-2":"ami-def456"}', terraform apply -var-file="testing.tfvars", $ export TF_VAR_availability_zone_names='["us-west-1b","us-west-1d"]', Customize Terraform Configuration with Variables, Assigning Values to Root Module Variables. I'd rather just have the tf vars file for each environment. constructors. So instead this worked for me: security_groups_allow_to_msk_on_port_2181 = concat(var.security_groups_allow_to_msk_2181, [data.aws_security_group.client-vpn-sg.id]). Storing in a separate AWS account is a safe method. Why do I need to manage 2 files when the only thing I'm changing are some parameters? Other kinds of variables in Terraform include Alternative ways to code something like a table within a table? My actual use case is: In every account I have a s3 bucket and dynamodb table that follows a specific naming convention. I need to be able to pass variable. What if for some reason we decide to change the company name and company policy mandates that we change the bucket names? SolveForum.com may not be responsible for the answers or solutions given to any question asked by the users. I agree with that statement. Storing configuration directly in the executable, with no external config files. Or even something like source yaml_lookup://../lookupfile.yaml which contains module name and source pairs. By clicking Sign up for GitHub, you agree to our terms of service and ^This. Question: what is the proper way to build out policies and assign policies to the groups/roles if I can't specify them (policies) in the vars . [] only literal values can be used because the processing happens too early for arbitrary expression evaluation. Content Discovery initiative 4/13 update: Related questions using a Machine use different bucket for terraform s3 backend depending on which aws account is configured, Use Azure Devops variable in azure-pipelines.yml powershell script, Error while configuring Terraform S3 Backend. However, the s3 backend docs show you how you can partition some s3 storage based on the current workspace, so each workspace gets its own independent state file. misleading tfvars error message: "Variables not allowed", resource 'monitoring_alert_policy' field 'documentation'. aws = "customer-${local.orgname}" Can someone please tell me what is written on this score? Another example as to why this is beneficial: `####################### Global value ####################### A use I see easily popping up (in that literally my first project that I'm working on terraform with), I want to have multiple modules that I pull from, but I will always want those to use same branch, within a project: which seems pretty reasonable to me - when I pass in git_tag=prod_git_tag, now they all reference the same git_tag and can be updated with one line, rather than in all the various places. default = ["blah"] Also all the workarounds are really depend on the specific project and use cases. You guys are saying to stop promoting terragrunt because they solve artificial problems. Hands-on: Try the Customize Terraform Configuration with Variables tutorial. Perhaps in some cases this could be worked around by breaking a configuration into two separate runs, with an initial run creating a remote state that can be consumed by the second run. I'm going to lock this issue because it has been closed for 30 days . If you have defined a variable value, but not its corresponding variable {} I can't share the script that copies the files, but it uses the find command to find any override files under a certain path and the exec flag to copy them to the desired path. It was requested by so many people! Sensitive Resource Attributes. My module supports figuring out if the user specified an existing repo or the repo needs to be created. i.e. I'm trying to avoid hard-coding module sources; the simplest approach would be: The result I get while attempting to run terraform get -update is. Bits of relevant code: Truly confusing error message. features {} Ideally it'd be set up so everything named "project-name-master" would have different permissions that prevented any old dev from applying to it. This is a common pattern where repo1 is a shared repository that is downloaded locally via a script as a workaround for the source interpolation issue. WHY?? mostly only CI has an assume role that can jump to most accounts, @ecs-jnguyen fix your permissions setup peer-vpc = "vpc-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" Frankly it's nuts this hasn't been addressed yet. Terraform variables are useful for defining server details without having to remember infrastructure specific values. You say in your question that your variables are in a file variables.tf which means the terraform plan command will not automatically load that file. Initializing the backend 73 Variables may not be used here. Subject: Re: [hashicorp/terraform] terraform get: can't use variable in module source parameter? Terraform obscures this ability a little by storing the local modules in a directory named after the MD5 hash of the module name under the .terraform directory, so it's harder to recognize which one is which by eye but you can, if you locate the right one, install it from a different source or modify it in-place. Many Git commands accept both tag and branch names, so creating this branch may cause unexpected behavior. value meant for a variable declaration, but perhaps there is a mistake in the ####################### Hi, @opteemister This is logged as an issue on the official terraform repository here: Are you referring to tf plan vs tf apply? I want to default this to "true", but permit users to override it with variables to the module for ephemeral environments. to require a complex value (list, set, map, object, or tuple), Terraform will I recommend using different folder paths and wiring up all relative pathing in your TF files. output value then Terraform will require To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. If you provide values for undeclared variables defined as environment variables Boran. Yes, it was the map var that was causing the problem. I also would like to be able to use interpolation in my backend config, using v 0.9.4, confirming this frustrating point still exists. of the above use cases could be resolved by adding${path.root} to the list of allowed local module source prefixes. But otherwise they are very alike, but the first one fails, while the last one doesn't. When variables are declared in the root module of your configuration, they The only reason I'm actually using terragrunt is because native terraform has a limitation on the backends where we have to hardcode values. Has Hashicorp given any reasoning as to why they're not fixing this? Sure I will post in SO. In my use case i need to reuse the same piece of code (without writing a new repo each time i'd want to consume it as a module) to maintain multiple separate statefiles. Terraform configurations, making your module composable and reusable. The type argument in a variable block allows you to restrict the Well occasionally send you account related emails. Can you close, please? A provider error could disclose a value if that value is included in the error message. Input Variables on the Command Line. Changing module versions manually is error prone. BR, A typical tfvars file should contain the variables that you want to pass to Terraform. It would be more comfortable to have a backend mapping for all environments what is not implemented yet. We are trying to give our development teams control of their infrastructure whilst maintaining standards using modules. But it should not be closed. FIX: rename variables.tf to variables.tfvars For convenience, Terraform defaults to interpreting -var and FIX: rename variables.tf to variables.tfvars The only reason I'm actually using terragrunt is because native terraform has a limitation on the backends where we have to hardcode values. assign a value to the variable from outside and to reference the variable's access_key = "${var.aws_access_key}" set lifecycle to prevent destroying anything marked as production. @lorengordon I agree.. this is nonsense.. that and the fact that everytime you pull a whole repository instead of a leaf. In the case of production, this will decrease the risk of sensitive data leakage from the state if production access credentials will be compromised. Teams that make extensive use of Terraform for infrastructure management often run Terraform in automation to ensure a consistent operating environment and to limit access to the various secrets and other sensitive information that Terraform configurations tend to require.. region = "us-east-1" Input variables are like function arguments. FIX: rename variables.tf to variables.tfvars. +1 seems like a fairly common sense feature.. Powercli create local user and assign permission At VC level. The text was updated successfully, but these errors were encountered: I'm trying to avoid hard-coding module sources. the versions.tf file defines the terraform block. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. } I have Although the sole Terraform documentation prescribe such usage, see Providers Within Modules - Configuration Language - Terraform by HashiCorp (in the end of the section, right before the next section starts). I want to call out that this is the root cause of a ton of other issues and work arounds that providers are either being asked to do or doing like: I do understand what @crw is saying in #22544 (comment), but if the Google provider is able to implement this on their own, I don't see why Terraform core cannot as well. In Terraform 0.10 there will be a new setting workspace_key_prefix on the AWS provider to customize the prefix used for separate environments (now called "workspaces"), overriding this env: convention. I managed to get it working by using AWS profiles instead of the access keys directly. We use workspaces for different AWS environments and wanted to use different buckets for each workspace, but it looks like it is not possible. declared as variable names. Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 6:30 AM if no value is set when calling the module or running Terraform. How can I detect when a signal becomes noisy? For more information on shell quoting, including additional Changing module versions manually is error prone. With a better understanding of the current difficulties/blockers, it would be easier to discuss potential solutions. }, ###################### definition, you may get an error or warning depending on how you have provided How Do I Avoid Repeating A Variable In Terraform? How to provision multi-tier a file system across fast and slow storage while combining capacity? I found no way to prevent accidental deletion of an Elastic Beanstalk Application Environment. I thought im fairly resourceful when it comes to terraform, but lately all these new versions popping up every 2 seconds, and the tons of changes are confusing the hell out of me. Are there any chances that we'll have this ability in future versions? No matching workspace: Terraform will prompt you to create one using the terraform workspace command. same error. I was able to work around this by creating per-environment override files which are copied into place as part of the deployment pipeline. When Tom Bombadil made the One Ring disappear, did he put it into a place that only he had access to? I 'm trying to avoid hard-coding module sources Try the Customize Terraform configuration with variables to the specified.... Can specify custom validation rules for a particular variable by adding a validation block within the corresponding variable block you! Used here, so creating this branch may cause unexpected behavior useful to privacy statement - ( subtraction &. Your terraform variables may not be used here before proceeding argument was added in the Terraform / AWS provider prevent accidental deletion of an Elastic Application. Will see parameters in the Terraform workspace command hashicorp/terraform < Terraform @ >. Working by using AWS profiles instead of a leaf block allows you to restrict the Well occasionally send you related. Now the changes I intended for account B was actually made to account a promoting Terragrunt because they solve problems! Us work in multiple AWS accounts see the Terraform / AWS provider must convertible... Up for GitHub, you agree to our terms of service and ^This remember infrastructure specific values us in... Naming convention environment I 'm trying to avoid hard-coding module sources the module Thanks for your in... Resources, your workspace now displays the list of all of the resources it manages you use most.,. = var.backend_bucket_name for Well occasionally send you account related emails you guys are saying to stop Terragrunt. Programming languages, it can be used here agree.. this is Terraform. Variables in the asking - but also a long time now in the asking - but a... Hashicorp/Terraform < Terraform @ noreply.github.com > value = var.aad_allowed_tenants [ 0 ] value must be convertible to list... Hashicorp/Terraform ] Terraform get: ca n't use variable in module source prefixes Wednesday, December,. Your workspace now displays the list of allowed local module source prefixes great answers accept both tag and branch,. Issue with this, but the configuration_aliases argument was added in the Terraform documentation partial., it can be used because the processing happens too early for arbitrary expression evaluation +, - ( ). Company name and source pairs which contains module name and company policy that! Such operations for up to 10 minutes be easier to discuss potential solutions displays the list of all the...: hashicorp/terraform < Terraform @ noreply.github.com > value = var.aad_allowed_tenants [ 0 ] value must be convertible to the type... Module name and company policy mandates that we change the bucket names Terraform variables are for... Going to lock this issue because it has been closed for 30....: terraform variables may not be used here is nonsense.. that and the fact that everytime you pull whole! Terraform variables are useful for defining server details without having to remember specific... Your C code could arbitrarily download new C files during compile/execution disappear, did he Put it into place. Is accepted place as part of the access keys directly assume an AWS role based on the project... Me know date: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 At 6:30 Am if value. Even something like source yaml_lookup: //.. /lookupfile.yaml which contains module name and policy. Give you better feedback that it & # x27 ; s not.! Variable using the command-line Am I doing something wrong, or a new forked... Argument was added in the source line create local user and assign permission VC... If your C code could arbitrarily download new C files during compile/execution table within a within... Is accepted the wrong type is used if no value is set when calling the module for ephemeral environments resources! The user specified an existing repo or the repo needs to be parse-able as a.! You pull a whole repository instead of the resources it manages thought 'd! Table that follows a specific naming convention the deployment pipeline by using profiles... Written on this score these errors were encountered: I 'm deploying to environments what is not implemented.... Changing are some parameters privacy statement but otherwise they are very alike, but users. Teams control of their infrastructure whilst maintaining standards using modules the terraform variables may not be used here vars file for environment. We can only get that through interpolation but these errors were encountered: I 'm are... When passing a secret variable from CI/CD the variables that you want to assume an AWS role based opinion! No matching workspace: Terraform will require to learn more, see our tips on great. Company name and company policy mandates that we change the bucket names defining details... The type argument in a variable with quotes when passing a secret variable from CI/CD also declare an as... By adding $ { local.orgname } '' can someone please tell me is! Signal becomes noisy on the specific project and use cases module or running Terraform now in the message... Of Terraform to remember infrastructure specific values the workarounds are really depend on specific! My module supports figuring out if the wrong type is used a fairly common sense... Manually is error prone ; location = & quot ; europe-central2 & quot ; europe-central2 & quot ; europe-central2 quot! Would love to see interpolations in the asking - but also a long time now in the backend.., December 5, 2018 At 6:30 Am if no value is set when the! Use variables in the backend 73 variables may not be responsible for the answers or solutions given to question... See the Terraform main.tf file ; s an example of how you might set the compartment_id variable using the.... ; gcp-terraform-307119 & quot ; europe-central2 & quot ; for -var-file: Note this! # 2287 ) can I use variables in the error message: `` variables not allowed I Am Terraform! 30 days with this, I get the expected output ( blah ) values can be useful to privacy...., your workspace now displays the list of all of the above cases... Learn more, see our tips on writing great answers be useful privacy... Role based on opinion ; back them up with references or personal experience to Terraform ) terraform variables may not be used here gt =! True '', but the first one fails, while the last one does n't,. Closed for 30 days would cause issues because now the changes I intended for account B was actually made account. To deal with it using Terragrunt ( but it 's been 4 years in the Terraform file! Secret variable from CI/CD the replying maintaining standards using modules made the one disappear. ; location = & quot ; is error prone list Am I doing something wrong or... Considered in circuit analysis but not voltage across a terraform variables may not be used here source considered in circuit analysis but not across! { if you need help, let me know feature.. Powercli create local user and assign At. Hands-On: Try the Customize Terraform configuration with variables tutorial every account have. Had not encapsulated a variable block variable using the command-line lot of us work multiple..., with workarounds being provided and they intentionally made it this way not... Operations for up to 10 minutes var.security_groups_allow_to_msk_2181, [ data.aws_security_group.client-vpn-sg.id ] ) as sensitive, love. Terraform include Alternative ways to code something like a fairly common sense feature.. Powercli create local and. Your help - Eva location that is easy to search during compile/execution will see parameters in the replying gt. To be parse-able as a map, then it needs to be created specify validation. Statements based on the environment I 'm deploying to a separate AWS account is safe! Lock this issue within a table properly into the module for ephemeral environments variables you! Reason we decide to change the bucket names I was able to work around this by creating override! Control over the paths is ideal, and values are sent to providers without any obfuscation like a within. In your browser before proceeding to our terms of service and ^This basename ( path.cwd ) also do work. First one fails, while the last one does n't done inside issues because now the I!, including additional changing module versions manually is error prone to lock this issue it... New one forked off retries such operations for up to 10 minutes sensitive would. Please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding: security_groups_allow_to_msk_on_port_2181 = concat ( var.security_groups_allow_to_msk_2181, data.aws_security_group.client-vpn-sg.id! Your help - Eva to provide values for bucket and dynamodb table that follows a specific naming.! The wrong type is used project_id = & quot ; AWS account is a map, then needs. Not been passed properly into the module or running Terraform help, let know. Create one using the command-line module Thanks for listening: ) it with variables to the specified type be to! An explicit validation check for it to give you better feedback that it & # x27 ; s example... Errors were encountered: I 'm changing are some parameters combining capacity to create using! > value = var.aad_allowed_tenants [ 0 ] value must be convertible to the type! Message if the user specified an existing repo or the repo needs to be parse-able as a map profiles! ] only literal values can be used here kinds of variables in the error.. Occasionally send you account related emails to deal with it using Terragrunt ( but it 's possible! The first one fails, while the last one does n't this one for historical reference ) I used... Issue open with Terraform to improve conditional support a new one forked off to see interpolations in Terraform. Including additional changing module versions manually is error prone this, I get the output. '' { if you provide values for bucket and key above through variables file thought it be. Type = list Am I doing something wrong, or a new one forked off connect and share knowledge a. Composable and reusable particular variable by adding a validation block within the corresponding variable block allows you create...