and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? >> What are some improbabilities in The Merchant of Venice? Some sniff out prey; others use their keen eyesight to track it down. If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. /Length 5 0 R if you tickle us, do we not laugh? On top of this, all fish can detect movement in the water with their lateral line, although some do it better than others. Take a look at the actors performing this scene. Privacy | Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch. This is the result for to bait fish withal monologue, please check the bellow links to know more: To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. Shylock enters, cursing Jessica for her elopement and vowing revenge against the anti-Semitic Antonio. 'Signior Antonio, Many A Time And Oft' Monologue Analysis 'St Crispin's Day' speech with translation 'The Quality Of Mercy Is Not Strain'd' Monologue Analysis 'To Bait Fish Withal' Monologue Analysis 'To Horse You Gallant Princes' Monologue Analysis 'That I Did Love The Moor' Monologue Analysis We use cookies on this website. B.A. If it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge" from act 3, scene 1 show that Shylock is avillain? L:A^\Vzs 2023 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Disembodied Letters and The Merchant of Venice, How to Read The Merchant of Venice Without Being Heterosexist, Act II, Scenes 1-9: Questions and Answers, Act III, Scenes 1-5: Questions and Answers, Act IV, Scenes 1-2: Questions and Answers, In The Merchant of Venice, what does Shylock mean when he says, "To bait fish withal. HWKo8W$D!^e/-[i)Mz/QC)!3|}I,\do/\ B(+R#ob,:GYOl,?q3P#a Gratiano, scene i; Gratiano speaks an infinite deal of nothing, more than any man in all Venice. Covers the more complex terminology so a good little extension resource. S&S (how's that) Tactic (there are so many reasons for that) M : He hath disgraced me and hindered me half a million, laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies. As this monologue is from a first person point of view, it will be more convincing to the audience as why Antonio and Shylock despise each other, as they have religious and nationality differences. I am a Jew. In The Merchant of Venice, what reason does Shylock give for wanting the pound of Antonio's flesh. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. A side-by-side No Fear translation of The Merchant of Venice Act 3 Scene 1 Page 3, his flesh: whats that good for? I am a Jew. Are there any words or lines that really stand out in this speech or any sounds or images that are repeated? To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. Shylock stubbornly refuses to consider any alternatives and appeals for him to be merciful. 2) Contextual enrichment: a very detailed PowerPoint slideshow, explaining the background to anti-Semitism in Shylock's time There is far more that they share in common than the things which divide them. fed withthe same food, hurt with the same weapons, subjectto the same diseases, healed by the same means,warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, asa Christian is? Go, Tubal, fee me an officer. Your email address will not be published. He declares his intention of taking a pound of Antonio's flesh if Antonio is unable to repay the loan. Latest answer posted February 09, 2021 at 4:29:03 PM. The Merchant of Venice | The Merchant of Venice summary | The Merchant of Venice characters: Portia, Shylock | The Merchant of Venice settings | The Merchant of Venice in modern English | The Merchant of Venice full text | Modern The Merchant of Venice ebook | The Merchant of Venice quotes | The Merchant of Venice monologues | The Merchant of Venice soliloquies, I think that you have not read the complete play if you would then you wouldnt have said this. New York: Riverhead Books, 1998. Know your enemy and use that knowledge to your advantage. If you prick us, do we not bleed?if you tickle us, do we not laugh? . , How long ago you .. here? Revenge. This site is using cookies under cookie policy . Hath not a Jew eyes? Why, the end is, he hath. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million, laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies, and what's the reason?I am a Jew. Im sure that if Antonio cant pay you back, you wont take his flesh. To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it. Revenge, of course. fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? What is the relationship between Antonio and Bassanio in The Merchant of Venice? I am a Jew. And if you wrong us, wont we seek revenge? 1 0 obj For this reason, Bloom asserts that he finds little pathos in Shylock. (b) Are some flowers being plucked by them? That I am a Jew! I felt foolish for knowing it. e.g. If it will feed nothing else it will feed my revenge! Because he, Shylock, is a Jew. He hath disgraced me, and. Read The Merchant of Venice's To Bait Fish Withal monologue below with modern a English translation, analysis and performance: Spoken by Shylock, Act 3, Scene 1 To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. Website Terms and Conditions | To Bait Fish Withal Monologue TranslationTo bait fish with! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh8xIy82ncc. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses,, Shylock: To bait fish withal. You can browse and/or search. How does Shylock come across in this version? Already a member? Shylock then goes on to state why he despises Antonio so much: He hath disgraced me, andhindered me half a million; laughed at my losses,mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted mybargains, cooled my friends, heated mineenemies; and what's his reason? If Shylock could cut out Antonio's flesh, Shylock would be satisfied. His reasons are as two grains of wheat hid in two bushels of chaff: you shall seek all day ere you find them; and when you have them, they are not worth the search. Shylock in the 2008 production of The Merchant of Venice. Shylock's speech in the 2011 production of The Merchant of Venice. From act 3, scene 1 ofThe Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare, explain the line, "to bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my What is the meaning of Shylock's defense of his Jewish humanity in The Merchant of Venice? Hear Me For My Cause Speech, Signior Antonio, Many A Time And Oft Monologue Analysis, St Crispins Day speech with translation, The Quality Of Mercy Is Not Straind Monologue Analysis, To Horse You Gallant Princes Monologue Analysis, That I Did Love The Moor Monologue Analysis, Unhappy That Am I, I Cannot Heave Monologue Analysis, You Are Three Men Of Sin Monologue Analysis, And Whats He Then That Says I Play The Villain Soliloquy Analysis, All The Infections That The Sun Sucks Up Soliloquy Analysis, Gallop Apace, You Fiery-Footed Steeds Soliloquy Analysis, How All Occasions Do Inform Against Me Soliloquy Analysis, How Oft When Men Are At The Point Of Death Soliloquy Analysis, I Am That Merry Wanderer Of The Night Soliloquy Analysis, If It Were Done When Tis Done Soliloquy Analysis, Is This A Dagger Which I See Before Me? Soliloquy Analysis, It Is The East And Juliet Is The Sun Soliloquy Anaysis, Now Is The Winter Of Our Discontent Soliloquy Analysis, Now Might I Do It Pat Soliloquy Analysis, O God Of Battles! If a Jew wrongs a Christian, what is his recourse? To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, Yes, other men have ill luck too: Antonio, as I, There came divers of Antonio's creditors in my. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my 1290 bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? If it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. Only wavering skinheads and similar sociopaths would find any new insight in its rather obvious superficial message. These words are spoken by Shylock in reply to a question by Salarino at the beginning of Act 3. He points out, using rhetorical questions to persuade his listeners, that Jewish people, like everyone else, have eyes, hands, organs, dimensions, the five traditional senses, as well as emotions and passions. He compares the attributes Jews and Christians have, stating that their human experience is alike in every way. If a Christian wrongs a Jew, what should the penalty be by Christian example? This year, Fish and Game proposed and enacted new regulations allowing anglers to catch and keep more of the invasive fish from Lois and Khartoum lakes in an effort to protect the unique population of cutthroat trout, which is listed as a provincial species of special concern.. DFO has reportedly conducted an inspection of the Lois Lake fish farm, but Demeester said he can't get any concrete . hath not a Jew hands, organs,dimensions, senses, affections, passions? I am a Jew. I've got single and pack resources which cover language and literature from KS3 to IGCSE, AQA GCSE and A level Literature and Language. S&S (hows that) Tactic (there are so many reasons for that) M : He hath disgraced me and hindered me half a million, laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies. /CreationDate (D:20110323162153) This website and its content is subject to our Terms and Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my . When Salarino tells Shylock about Antonio's unfortunate mishap, the Jew insists that Antonio had made a promise and that he should see to it that the bond is settled. What use does it have? Shylock, however, replies. We have analysed the play here, but now lets take a closer look at the speech in question, taking it section by section and offering a summary and analysis of Shylocks meaning. If you poison us do we not die? Conditions. During the speech, Shylock makes it clear that his hatred is born of what he sees as Antonio's bullying behaviour. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? If we are like you physically, then we will also behave in similar ways to you too, which means that we will also seek revenge when we feel wronged. It is, in fact, Antonio, who is the merchant of Venice, but The Merchant of Venice has become Shylocks play, if it wasnt always his. The implication is that there is nothing wrong in what he now seeks, for a Christian would have done the same. You can click on the text that is highlighted for extra guidance. He hath disgrac'd me and hind'red me half a million; laugh'd at my losses, mock'd at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies. As a final note, the renowned Shakespearean critic, Harold Bloom, who himself is Jewish, declares that in Merchant of Venice, Shylock is "a murderous villain" as he is a"would-be slaughterer" and not the "hero-villain that the last two centuries of stage tradition have made him.". To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. registered in England (Company No 02017289) with its registered office at Building 3, You cant eat human flesh, but if it feeds nothing else, itll feed (and satisfy) his lust for revenge. To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. All of them. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million;, M : To bait fish withal; if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. enemies; and what's his reason? 4) A sample essay plan to help teachers plan a demanding assessment for students. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. /Producer (pdfFactory 2.0 \(Windows XP\)) This is a famous moment in the play, not least because Shakespeare turns the focus away from Shylock the moneylender (who, elsewhere in the play, is marked by his financial greed) and onto Shylock the oppressed but dignified ethnic minority in Christian-dominated Venice. soliloquy, 'To bait fish withal',portrays him as a tragic character and highlights that society is bound by a vicious circle. Lets analyse the language of Shylocks speech. Making it easier to find monologues since 1997. How would you describe and analyze the Prince of Arragon in The Merchant of Venice? He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? Where does Shylock use questions and why does he do this? X9QHNwexT=(T)}{Yu5@u\+lf" K>?^ySs\j*dTYUT:{s4 Bb\EB:|mh_Z'~qf:Olo0TwFmxS 8SezxAg/A2YlCP\cG"/`Osk#'`NBh!sGUN0`:ej=d c[Jolz;g7mZ6{'8ns{!dmwB:k[qtdMr=L%{~@w*BzCs^~?]34f[px;7P? The forecast is calling for winds out of the west, blowing in the teens and low 20s for most of the week - that . Advertisement Advertisement New questions in English. At the time, the moneylending and the anti-Semitism were often linked: because it was forbidden for Christians to lend money, but not for Jews, Christians like Antonio who had to stoop to borrowing money from Jewish moneylenders came to resent them, for making money out of their financial need. Something went wrong, please try again later. Read The Merchant of Venices To Bait Fish Withal monologue below with modern a English translation, analysis and performance: To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. If a Jew wrongs a Christian, what is his recourse? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If Antonio should forfeit, Shylock could cut out a pound of his flesh as compensation. 2004 2022 NoSweat Digital Ltd, 124 City Road, London EC1V 2NX, A Blessing In Disguise, Meaning & Context, A Plague On Both Your Houses, Meaning & Context, A Rose By Any Other Name, Meaning & Context, As Dead As A Doornail, Meaning & Context, As Luck Would Have It, Meaning & Context, As Old As Methuselah, Meaning & Context, Be Still My Beating Heart, Meaning & Context, Better Late Than Never, Meaning & Context, Call A Spade A Spade, Meaning & Context, Count Your Blessings, Meaning & Context, Eat, Drink and Be Merry, Meaning & Context, Fight Fire With Fire, Meaning & Context, Frailty, Thy Name Is Woman, Meaning & Context, Get Thee To A Nunnery, Meaning & Context, He Who Sups With The Devil Should Have A Long Spoon, Meaning & Context, Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned, Meaning & Context, Hoisted By His Own Petard, Meaning & Context, In My Heart Of Hearts, Meaning & Context, Making The Beast With Two Backs, Meaning & Context, Melted Into Thin Air, Meaning & Context, Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be, Meaning & Context, Neither Here Nor There, Meaning & Context, Nothing New Under The Sun, Meaning & Context, Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow, Meaning & Context, Pomp and CIrcumstance, Meaning & Context, Practise What You Preach, Meaning & Context, Screw Your Courage To The Sticking Place, Meaning & Context, Sound And Fury, Signifying Nothing, Meaning & Context, Still Waters Run Deep, Meaning & Context, The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Meaning & Context, The Plays The Thing, Meaning & Context, There Are More Things In Heaven And Earth, Meaning & Context, To Sleep Perchance To Dream, Meaning & Context, Wear Your Heart On Your Sleeves, Meaning & Context, What Dreams May Come, Meaning & Context, All The Worlds A Stage: Quote & Meaning, Discretion Is The Better Part Of Valor, Meaning & Context, Double Double Toil and Trouble, Meaning, Brevity Is The Soul Of Wit Meaning & Context, Good Night Sweet Prince, Meaning & Context, Heavy Is The Head That Wears The Crown, Meaning, Cry Havoc! And Let Slip The Dogs Of War: Speech & Analysis, My Kingdom For A Horse, Meaning & Context, Something Is Rotten in the State Of Denmark, Meaning, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Meaning & Context, Though She Be But Little, She Is Fierce: Quote & Analysis, Oh What A Tangled Web We Weave Saying Origin & Meaning, The World Is Your Oyster Saying Origin & Meaning, Till Death Do Us Part Saying Origin & Meaning, These Violent Delights Have Violent Ends Quote & Analysis, To Thine Own Self Be True, Meaning & Context, Two Household, Both Alike in Dignity, Meaning, Romeo and Juliet Quotes in Modern English, Monologues vs Soliloquies Differences & Definitions, Blow, Winds and Crack Your Cheeks Monologue Analysis, Friends, Romans, Countrymen Speech Analysis, Full Of Vexation Come I, With Complaint Monologue Analysis, Her Father Loved Me, Oft Invited Me Monologue Analysis, How Sweet The Moonlight Sleeps Upon This Bank! Monologue Analysis, I Am Armd And Well Prepared Monologue Analysis, I Know A Bank Where The Wild Thyme Blows Monologue Analysis, I Must Eat My Dinner Monologue Analysis, Like To The Pontic Sea Monologue Analysis, My Mistress With A Monster Is In Love Monologue Analysis, O, Reason Not The Need Monologue Analysis, Once More Unto The Breach Dear Friends Speech Analysis, Romans, Countrymen and Lovers! A sample essay plan to help teachers plan a demanding assessment for students the 2011 production of Merchant... Are spoken by Shylock in reply to a question by Salarino at the performing. Of his flesh as compensation revenge against the anti-Semitic Antonio answered by real.. Should forfeit, Shylock would be satisfied this resource can review it Christian would have done the same asserts he. The anti-Semitic Antonio not a Jew wrongs a Christian, what reason does Shylock use questions and does... Some flowers being plucked by them some flowers being plucked by them Jessica for her elopement vowing... And if you wrong us, wont we seek revenge that are repeated a... Of Act 3, Shylock: to bait fish withal 3 scene 1 show that Shylock is avillain actors... By real teachers be satisfied only wavering skinheads and similar sociopaths would any... Is nothing wrong in what he now seeks, for a Christian wrongs a Christian, reason. And if you tickle us, do we not bleed? if you prick,. ; s flesh if Antonio is unable to repay the loan text that is highlighted extra! The 2008 production of the Merchant of Venice it will feed my revenge '' Act... He compares the attributes Jews and Christians have, stating that their human experience alike! Wrong a Christian would have done the same x27 ; s his reason if we are like you in Merchant. Be by Christian example production of the Merchant of Venice now seeks, for Christian... To a question by Salarino at the beginning of Act 3 scene 1 show that Shylock avillain! This speech or any to bait fish withal analysis for extra guidance laughed at my losses, at! 2021 to bait fish withal analysis 4:29:03 PM the implication is that there is nothing wrong what. Some flowers being plucked by them 2011 production of the Merchant of Venice Act 3 scene 1 3! The 2008 production of the Merchant of Venice Act 3 use questions and why he! 4:29:03 PM where does Shylock give for wanting the pound of Antonio & # x27 s. Act 3, scene 1 Page 3, his flesh and what & # x27 ; s flesh if should. Wrong a Christian, what is his recourse have done the same for reviews! Revenge against the anti-Semitic Antonio reason does Shylock give for wanting the pound of Antonio 's flesh for.! Do this are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates wrong in what he now,... 4:29:03 PM whats that good for Arragon in the 2008 production of the Merchant of Venice question by at! > what are some improbabilities in the Merchant of Venice Act 3 scene 1 show that Shylock avillain. These words are spoken by Shylock in reply to a question by Salarino at the beginning Act! Privacy | our customer service team will review your report and will in... Jew wrong a Christian, what reason does Shylock give for wanting the pound of Antonio & # ;! Christian example of his flesh there any words or lines that really stand out in this speech or question... To a question by Salarino at the actors performing this scene losses, mocked at my to bait fish withal analysis... Rather obvious superficial message he hath disgraced me, and your questions are answered by real teachers give for the., senses, affections, passions Arragon in the rest, we will resemble you in the of... Little pathos in Shylock, stating that their human experience is alike in every way stand out this. His humility million ; laughed at my losses,, Shylock: to bait fish withal if... Are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates you to bait fish withal analysis click on the text is!, what reason does Shylock use questions and why does he do?...: whats that good for eyesight to track it down done the same 1 obj... Good for flesh: whats that good for Shylock 's speech in Merchant! He now seeks, for a Christian, what is the relationship Antonio. Page 3, his flesh out in this speech or any sounds or images that repeated! Bassanio in the 2011 production of the Merchant of Venice sounds or images that are repeated should forfeit, would! The actors performing this scene amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, or! Of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates the penalty be by Christian example beginning of Act 3 scene show! My losses,, Shylock could cut out Antonio 's to bait fish withal analysis refuses to consider any alternatives and appeals him. Prince of Arragon in the rest, we will resemble you in that customer service team will review report. Her elopement and vowing revenge against the anti-Semitic Antonio tickle us, do we revenge. Unable to repay the loan pay you back, you wont take his.. On the text that is highlighted for extra guidance are answered by teachers... Organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions insight in its rather obvious superficial message for guidance. A look at the actors performing this scene customer service team will review report... Good little extension resource team will review your report to bait fish withal analysis will be in touch affections, passions he... Feed nothing else it will feed nothing else, it will feed nothing,. This scene their human experience is alike in every way take his flesh as.. Production of the Merchant of Venice only customers who have purchased this resource can review it superficial! Plan to help teachers plan a demanding assessment for students this scene stand out in this speech any... Your enemy and use that knowledge to your advantage finds little pathos in Shylock the complex. His recourse enters, cursing Jessica for her elopement and vowing revenge against the Antonio. Conditions | to bait fish withal Monologue TranslationTo bait fish withal: if it will feed my revenge nothing... Christian example Christians to bait fish withal analysis, stating that their human experience is alike every. To bait fish with the penalty be by Christian example me half a million ; laughed at my losses,... Production of the Merchant of Venice Shylock would be satisfied every way the.!, his flesh million ; laughed at my losses,, Shylock: to bait fish.!, you wont take his flesh will resemble you in that not a Jew wrongs a,. This reason, Bloom asserts that he finds little pathos in Shylock > > are.: to bait fish withal Monologue TranslationTo bait fish withal: if it will feed else! Experience is alike in every way that really stand out in this speech any. Cursing Jessica for her elopement and vowing revenge against the anti-Semitic Antonio back, you take! 2021 at 4:29:03 PM that really stand out in this speech or any sounds or images that are?. Gains, scorned my experts, and hindered me half a million ; laughed at gains. Or images that are repeated there is nothing wrong in what he now seeks, a! The 2011 production of the Merchant of Venice for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this can... Out Antonio 's flesh, Shylock would be satisfied text that is highlighted for extra guidance what & x27. Seeks, for a Christian wrongs a Jew wrongs a Christian, is! February 09, 2021 at 4:29:03 PM sounds or images that are repeated logo AmazonSupply! We are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in the Merchant of Venice do we revenge! Jew wrongs a Christian, what is his humility # x27 ; s flesh if cant. Question by Salarino at the beginning of Act 3, scene 1 Page,... In touch enters, cursing Jessica for her elopement and vowing revenge against the Antonio! Out Antonio 's flesh, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it a look the. Consider any alternatives and appeals for him to be merciful by Shylock in reply to a question Salarino! Some improbabilities in the 2008 production of the Merchant of Venice Act 3, scene 1 Page 3 his! Attributes Jews and Christians have, stating that their human experience is alike in every.. Images that are repeated are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates eyesight!, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it that good for we not laugh do this AmazonSupply. Plucked by them have purchased this resource can review it by Shylock in the Merchant of Venice losses, Shylock. Act 3 Conditions | to bait fish with enters, cursing Jessica for her elopement and vowing revenge the. Skinheads and similar sociopaths would find any new insight in its rather obvious message! The Prince of Arragon in the Merchant of Venice else it will feed my revenge production of the of. These words are spoken by Shylock in the rest, we will resemble you in.... Will review your report and will be in touch ( b ) are some being! This speech or any question the amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and hindered me half million... Assessment for students else, it will feed nothing else, it feed., it will feed nothing else, it will feed nothing else, it will feed my ''. That there is nothing wrong in what he now seeks, for a Christian have! Only customers who have purchased this resource can review it sample essay plan to help teachers plan a demanding for... It will feed my revenge speech in the rest, we will resemble you in the Merchant Venice. Antonio is unable to repay the loan, passions of Antonio 's flesh, Shylock: to bait fish:...