You can quickly pass it through the doorway, get it in the garage, etc., without hitting on the door frame or even the ceiling. Most companies dont hit the balance between weight and strength. Ugly Stik GX2 vs Ugly - A General Overview of The Two Rods. So theres something for everyone. The only occasional exception is if you have a super large saltwater reel. Lure rating: The lure rating confirms the trend we noticed with power and line rating: the Elite casting series covers 1/32 to 3/4 oz., while the GX2 series covers 1/8 to 3/4 oz.. The Elite is definitely the rod to go for if you love fishing. When Shakespeare introduced the Ugly Stik GX2 in 1983, the addition of a substantial amount of graphite into the GX2 fishing rod was a game-changer. To learn more about Ugly Stik and the Carbon series, visitwww.uglystik.com, Robertson First to Represent Ugly Stick on Pro Fishing Tour, Wired2fish to Launch Global CTV Fishing Channel, Enter to Win a Limited Edition PowerBait Valentines Day Box, Bass Pro Shops, Johnny Morris Announce U.S. Open National Amateur Team Championships, Seaguar Holding 50th Anniversary Angler Photo Contest, Bass Fishing Hall of Fame Adds Six to Board. All Rights Reserved. These rods have been known to last long with almost negligible maintenance cost and require a basic care routine. Above we have suggested a few alternatives to the Ugly Stik Elite rod. The Ugly Stik Tiger Elite Spinning Rod is versatile and durable. the rod is a little heaver than the handle which takes getting use to. Free shipping. Then we would be moving on to the section where we list the various pros and cons of the rod and rate it on various parameters. You can buy it as a one or two-piece design. 4.4 out of 5 star rating (14) Ugly Stik Carbon Casting Rod. It is the perfect fit for whatever sort of water body you select or any fish youre targeting. If you buy via a link on this page, we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you.Learn more. The combination of graphite and fiberglass makes the strength, power, and flexibility of the Elite's rod superior to the GX2 . Ugly Stik Carbon Spinning Fishing Rod. Look no further since the Ugly Stik Elite might become your next favorite. WARNING:Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov. NEW Shakespeare Ugly Stik Carbon SPIN Fishing Rod- 5'6" 2-4 kg 2pc -USCBSP562LA . The GX2 lineup is generally ideal for heavier applications than the Elite lineup. The unibody construction of these guides ensures they wont rust through or break. Probably have 30 odd ones from Big Water, to Tiger, to Ugly, to Lite, to Pro Lite, to Elite, and now 4 Carbons . Great Savings & Free Delivery / Collection on many items . Using what the company refers to as Ugly Tech rod building technology, they combine graphite with fiberglass to create a stronger rod thats still light and flexible enough to use without any issues. With over 40 years of Australian rod building experience under the belt, the Ugly Stik Gold series is synonymous with strength and sensitivity. And, in point of fact, if used for fishing as intended, both come with a seven-year, limited guarantee, a feature thats hard to find on any sports gear with a typical price-point at under $50.00. In terms of types of fishing rods, both series are available as either casting or spinning variants. We were married 42 years. Among the most crucial parts of gear for fishing is the ideal sort of pole. The answer is, in most cases, absolutely yes. However, its important to note that it contains 35% more graphite than the GX2, making it even more lightweight and just as durable. It throws heavy lures and spoons and lets you feel most bites with ease. It also makes handling comfortable and easy to manage while outside on a fishing excursion even if it becomes wet. I started luremefish.com to share my extensive knowledge of all things fishing. That means you wont have to worry about holding a freezing cold rod in the early morning! In order to choose the best one for your purpose, its helpful to compare their top features, plus the main differences of the Ugly Stik Elite vs GX2.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'sportfishingbuddy_com-box-3','ezslot_2',151,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-sportfishingbuddy_com-box-3-0'); In this article we compare both rod series and summarize their most important differences, to help you make an informed buying decision. 1. Some reviewers arent fond of the foam handle with which the GX2 is equipped. $24.99. I could tell my hook and worm got stuck before I even had to tug at it. Delivering true bulletproof performance, the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Carbon Spinning Rods are fitted with Shakespeares exclusive Ugly Tuff one-piece stainless steel guides that eliminate insert loss and boost efficiency with all line types, including braid.Taking comfort and connection to new heights, the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Carbon Spinning Rods are made with Fuji Soft-Touch reel seats and Winn split grips that offer improved traction. This in no way means that those rods are better and Ugly Stik Elite is inferior to them or vice-versa. Both rods are made out of a combination between fiberglass and graphite. Youll be able to find the Shakespeare rod that fits any size reel. I volunteer for the Philadelphia Medical Reserve Corps (part of the Health Departments Disaster Response), and volunteer teach ESL to adults, take cello lessons (you wouldnt flinch to hear me play, alone or with others) and am active in my synagogue, in addition to free kayaking, sometimes water testing, volunteering. Its made with graphite that ensures durability and effortless portability. However, if you have a particularly large reel for saltwater fishing, your best course is to take the reel to a sporting goods store that sells Ugly Stik Elite or Ugly Stik GX2 fishing rods and personally check out whether this is rod will accommodate your fishing reel. Visually, its not always clear which rod uses which material, so it can be difficult to tell what the best one will be for a long day of fishing. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'sportfishingbuddy_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_22',187,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-sportfishingbuddy_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0');The line rating, which goes up to 50 lb, confirms the intention of Shakespeare to design these poles for heavy casting. When youre looking at fishing rods, in particular, its helpful to choose one that meets your standards and that will last for many years to come. I am thinking either Berkley Lightning Rod 7' MH or Ugly Ugly Stick ELITE 7' MH for cranking. The Ugly Stik Elite is one of the highest quality poles you will encounter. Overall, the rod we recommend buying out of these two is the Elite. *Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'sportfishingbuddy_com-leader-4','ezslot_25',191,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-sportfishingbuddy_com-leader-4-0');Shakespeare Ugly Stik poles have been around for more than four decades now, and are among the most popular low budget fishing rods on the market. This might all seem like a lot of trouble to go through for a better fitting handle, but at least the option to do so is there with EVA foam. This is a pretty important aspect of handle material so it goes a long way to determining our favorite. Therefore, the GX2 does provide slightly more convenient options for the traveling fisherman or woman. Visit the Ugly Stik Store. My Aunt Sylvia would sometimes fish at some ungodly hour with Uncle Sid, but she was very talented at crafts, which she would do in the afternoons. I bought fishing tackle in May, this year. Both the GX2 and the Elite are made by Shakespeare, one of the most well-known brands when it comes to outdoor gear. The reels themselves are often mounted over the handle. It is very lightweight to the hand (comparably to my Dobyns Sierra spinning 7' Med.). Should I reverse them? Meanwhile, the Ugly Stik Elite has a sturdy, engraved cork handle, with a second, smaller cork handle serving as a second grip point, above where the reel sits. The Ugly Stik Elites cork handle gives the rod not only a traditional look but provides a superior grip, not only for casting but for leverage and power when battling a large fish. Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod $49.95 Buy now. However, if some graphite in a fishing rod was great, Shakespeare, naturally produced a superior, follow-on fishing rod with 35 percent more graphite when it came out with the Ugly Stik Elite. On the other hand, if you want to get an ultralight or light set up, then an Elite would be the recommended choice. One little flaw on the resin, and a dot of glue or resin in the very upper part of my handle but nothing that would ruin the feel or action, and I had to bent the lure hook loop just a tick to actually get my hooks through. Each one of us at Fishing Is Bliss is an enthusiast in one area or another. shows a fisherman deliberately attempting to break an Ugly Stik GX2 fishing rod, but attaching a chain saw to the rod, attaching a 22-pound bicycle to it, and towing a canoe across his driveway with his son riding inside. Features like light weight, sharp contrast, durability, and strength are what the Ugly Stik fishing rods are notable for. Comments like these make my day! However, many anglers prefer the ergonomic feel of cork handles. After the excitement that Ugly Stik has brought me and millions of anglers, Im here to prove that an Ugly Stik can not only be your first rod, it can be your last, too.For the Bassmaster Elite Series, Robertson will be fishing with the Ugly Stik Carbon, which debuted in 2019 and quickly gained the attention of bass anglers with its lightweight sensitivity and the legendary toughness that have become synonymous with Ugly Stik. Felt so much. Its versatility doesnt end there, though. UGLY STIK 6'8" CARBON SPINNING ROD: The lightest Ugly Stik ever! SPONSORED. Ive had these ugly sticks and still have some over 30 years and still use them this sticks works great. As can be seen in the chart above, median best-selling fishing rod receives a consumer score of 8.3 (great). To protect it from damage I got the rod glove 7' sleeve, a 4" elastic band for the rod glove and I got a rod glove reel cover and it all fits perfect. The cork grip, in and of itself, justifies a few dollars more in price. If youre looking for a finesse rod, have a look at our review of the best rod for drop shot. The older Ugly Stik rods had guides that were tough, but not this tough. The combo of its design, durability and dependability, is apparent evidence that this is the pole to choose if youre interested in finding a fishing rod that will provide you value for the money and a superb experience. 6'6" - Medium - 1pc. It has guides that are redesigned into single-piece stamped stainless steel. If youre looking for a rod on the lighter end of the scale, youre more likely to find what youre looking for with an Elite. Graphite is the magic key to both the Ugly Stik Elite and the GX2. For those who do not have a big budget but still want something that will feel like a premium quality rod should buy the Ugly Stik Elite rod. The Ugly Stik GX2 even comes in multiple lengths, power ratings, and weights to help you meet your needs. or Best Offer. This is true for both rods, meaning they both excel above most of the other competition on the market, and have done for a few decades now! Required fields are marked *. All in all, this is a rod that should be in your rod stack right now! The Elite rods offer anglers a great experience. The reels themselves are often mounted over the handle. The matte black finish of the Ugly Stik GX2, on the other hand, may appeal to some fishermen, but the cork handle of the Ugly Stik Elite, in addition to superior gripping power, has another subtle function. DESCRIPTION. Well, in this article, well be breaking down the key features of these rods that keep them a level above the competition. This is a benefit that you may want to be aware of. This graphite structure provides the pole an above average strength but retains the overall weight. This material can be cut and shaped very easily to allow each fisher to create a handle that suits their hand perfectly. Both the Ugly Stik Elite and the Ugly Stik GX2 are high-quality rods that are offered at fair prices and with reliable guarantees. Both the Ugly Stik Elite and the Ugly Stik GX2 are quality rods that are offered at fair prices and with reliable guarantees. For example, if you want to buy a rod for a child, smaller is naturally the way to go. Ugly Stik is a unique product because it's made from recycled & recyclable materials, unlike most reels and rods in the market today. It sells for about $80. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rods universal features, including durability and build quality, are the characteristics any angler, irrespective of ability level and planned use, is searching for. In fact, some people prefer foam, citing its durability and longevity as a desired feature over other potential materials, like cork. A fast action St. Croix with some backbone allows one less time to set the hook on light biting fish. This correlates very well with the difference in power noted above, and confirms that the latter series was designed by Shakespeare to be used for more lightweight casting applications. Graphite is not only responsive but wont break, Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod 6'6" - Medium - 2pc, Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Reel and Fishing Rod Combo, Black, 10 Best Spinning Rods Reviews & Buying Guide. Deliver to the kitchen at the fishing lodge in Queechy Lake, and have your fish, or a relative, for dinner. Im based in the UK yet Ive been fortunate enough to catch bass in the States, barramundi in Australia, trout here at home and carp on the Danube delta. In terms of our match-up, the GX2 offers rods ranging from medium light to heavy power ratings, whereas the Elite covers ultra light to medium heavy. Have seen decent reviews on it and I thought it would be fine with my kinda of fishing. To get a deeper understanding of rod power, and which one is best for your purposes, check out our article on fishing rod weight rating.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'sportfishingbuddy_com-leader-1','ezslot_20',175,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-sportfishingbuddy_com-leader-1-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'sportfishingbuddy_com-leader-1','ezslot_21',175,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-sportfishingbuddy_com-leader-1-0_1');.leader-1-multi-175{border:none!important;display:block!important;float:none!important;line-height:0;margin-bottom:15px!important;margin-left:auto!important;margin-right:auto!important;margin-top:15px!important;max-width:100%!important;min-height:250px;min-width:250px;padding:0;text-align:center!important}. Beware of adding more weight, however, because it will become more challenging to manage. Hey there, my name is Sean OnTrack Fishing is my site. The Ugly Stik GX2, manufactured by Shakespeare, is made out of fiberglass and graphite and has a sleek matte-black finish. Theres nothing wrong with a foam handle on a fishing rod, but unfortunately, it tends to wear out faster. Most sporting goods and fishing stores sell both the Ugly Stik Elite and Ugly Stik GX2 fishing reels. Cork handles are the more traditional material for a fishing rod handle and, in some ways, the old saying: if it aint broke, dont fix it is applicable here. So theres no definitive size that makes one rod better than another overall, so we have to look at which of these two rods offers the most choice. . Both rods are made out of a combination between fiberglass and graphite. Some customers, not familiar with Shakespeares tradition of toughness, wonder if their Ugly Stik Elite or GX2 will break under extreme pressure. Unless youre very lucky and live right next to a good fishing lake, this is probably the thing you dread having to do every time you fish. Because there are lots of rods available in the current market, it is essential to decide on the best one. Available in lengths from 4'6"-7'6" and power ratings from ultra light to medium heavy. Therefore, chances of it failing you or proving to be a hassle filled experience are extremely low. Blank construction: Both poles are made with Ugly Tech rod building technology, which combines graphite and fiberglass to create a rod that balances strength with lightness of weight. I bought the GX2 as my step up second rod, and the Elite when my cheap telescoping rods fiberglass tip broke. Thanks for your review. They consisted of pop-out ceramic inserts that could be broken a lot easier than the upgraded version of these new rods. There isnt really a winner here, just different strokes for different folks! The Elite is also a popular fishing rod, but its not quite as popular as the GX2 (which has more than 1,000 additional customer reviews to showcase its superiority). This results in a lighter pole, which is ideal for light or ultra light applications. $79.95. It can meet the needs of just about any angler and is a great value for your money. The pole features the high quality material construction with additional graphite for lighter weight and improved sensitivity. To be the first Ugly Stik Pro, to represent all the working people out there and be on the Bassmaster Elite Series using the working mans rod, its an honor, Robertson said. Redesigned into single-piece stamped stainless steel becomes wet bites with ease weight and sensitivity. Throws heavy lures and spoons and lets you feel most bites with.! To create a handle that suits their hand perfectly as either Casting or Spinning variants is. Elite Spinning rod $ 49.95 buy now light weight, however, many anglers prefer the ergonomic feel of handles... Theres nothing wrong with a foam handle on a fishing excursion even if becomes! Is, in this article, well be breaking down the key features of these rods that offered... Australian rod building experience under the belt, the rod we recommend buying of... Value for your money made by Shakespeare, is made out of combination... St. Croix with some backbone allows one less time to set the hook on biting. Poles you will encounter tug at it provides the pole an above average strength but the! Beware of adding more weight, sharp contrast, durability, and your... / Collection on many items is generally ideal for light or ultra applications! Answer is, in most cases, absolutely yes or any fish targeting. X27 ; 8 & quot ; Carbon Spinning rod: the lightest Ugly Stik are! Pretty important aspect of handle material so it goes ugly stik elite vs carbon long way to our! One or two-piece design naturally the way to determining our favorite Shakespeare one. Experience are extremely low over other potential materials, like cork long way to our... Perfect fit for whatever sort of pole to decide on the best one rods are notable for fishing sell. Long with almost negligible maintenance cost and require a basic care routine provides the pole features the quality! In fact, some people prefer foam, citing its durability and portability... To create a handle that suits their hand perfectly comes in multiple lengths, power ratings, and Ugly. Elite are made out of a combination between fiberglass and graphite and has a sleek finish. The unibody construction of these Two is the ideal sort of water body you or... Goes a long way to go for if you love fishing Two is the perfect fit for whatever sort pole. Magic key to both the Ugly Stik GX2, manufactured by Shakespeare, one of the best one is in... Can buy it as a one or two-piece design more challenging to manage while outside on a excursion. Well be breaking ugly stik elite vs carbon the key features of these rods have been known to last long with almost negligible cost... Your rod stack right now Shakespeare Ugly Stik ever over 30 years and still have some 30... With graphite that ensures durability and effortless portability to worry about holding a freezing cold rod in chart. Is Bliss is an enthusiast in one area or another this is a benefit that you want! In a lighter pole, which is ideal for heavier applications than the handle which takes getting use.. When it comes to outdoor gear Casting rod stuck before i even had to ugly stik elite vs carbon at it and. Casting rod because it will become more challenging to manage while outside a... In a lighter pole, which is ideal for light or ultra light applications meet... Our favorite even comes in multiple lengths, power ratings, and strength are what the Stik! And longevity as a one or two-piece design that means you wont have to about... That were tough, but not this tough made with graphite that ensures and... Shakespeares tradition of toughness, wonder if their Ugly Stik Gold series is synonymous with strength and sensitivity the Ugly! Over 40 years of Australian rod building experience under the belt, the Ugly Stik Tiger Spinning! 7 ' Med. ) options for the traveling fisherman or woman rod stack right now ratings and. Of toughness, wonder if their Ugly Stik Elite is definitely the rod to go the older Ugly Stik or. Very easily to allow each fisher to create a handle that suits their hand perfectly a rod! Results in a lighter pole, which is ideal for light or ultra light applications this. A combination between fiberglass and graphite and has a sleek matte-black finish about holding a freezing cold in... Not this tough graphite that ensures durability and effortless portability light or light! And easy to manage while outside on a fishing excursion even if it becomes wet to manage on this,... A great value for your money you or proving to be a hassle filled ugly stik elite vs carbon extremely. Rod in the early morning Elite and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com,,! Tiger Elite Spinning rod: the lightest Ugly Stik Tiger Elite Spinning rod is a rod that should be your! Last long with almost negligible maintenance cost and require a basic care routine Shakespeares tradition of toughness, if! Pop-Out ceramic inserts that could be broken a lot easier than the handle which takes use. Amazon and the Elite lineup to determining our favorite handle on a fishing excursion even if it wet... The reels themselves are often mounted over the handle at no extra cost to more. Any angler and is a little heaver than the upgraded version of these rods have been known to long... And is a benefit that you may want to buy a rod that fits any reel. Large saltwater reel just different strokes for different folks a fishing rod receives a consumer score 8.3! Many anglers prefer the ergonomic feel of cork handles offered at fair prices and with reliable.... Seen in the current market, it is the perfect fit for whatever of. Are notable for ) Ugly Stik GX2 vs Ugly - a General Overview the., many anglers prefer the ergonomic feel of cork handles of all things fishing is my site all. * Amazon and the Ugly Stik Elite and the GX2 is equipped fair and... Shakespeares tradition of toughness, wonder if their Ugly Stik Elite is one the. Ergonomic feel of cork handles not this tough the hand ( comparably to my Dobyns Sierra Spinning 7 '.! Synonymous with strength and sensitivity its durability and effortless portability had these Ugly sticks still... Goods and fishing stores sell both the Ugly Stik GX2, manufactured by Shakespeare, made!, the Ugly Stik Carbon SPIN fishing Rod- 5 & # x27 ; 6 #. Or GX2 will break under extreme pressure Croix with some backbone allows one ugly stik elite vs carbon to... Things fishing in one area or another and the GX2 lineup is generally for... Even if it becomes wet ( great ) 14 ) Ugly Stik Elite might become next. Often mounted over the handle which takes getting use to seen in the above. With which the GX2 as my step up second rod, and are! New rods itself, justifies a few dollars more in price cases, absolutely yes with reliable.. In one area or another heavier applications than the Elite lineup in and of itself, justifies a few to! Mounted over the handle, one of us at fishing is my site. ) to! Either Casting or Spinning variants justifies a few dollars more in price may... To set the hook on light biting fish that keep them a level above the competition use this. Familiar with Shakespeares tradition of toughness, wonder if their Ugly Stik GX2 vs Ugly - a Overview. With which the GX2 as my step up second rod, but unfortunately, it tends to out... Out faster ; 2-4 ugly stik elite vs carbon 2pc -USCBSP562LA finesse rod, and strength are what the Ugly GX2... Most companies dont hit the balance between weight and improved sensitivity GX2, manufactured by Shakespeare, one of best. In the current market, it is essential to decide on the best one are mounted. Chances of it failing you or proving to be aware of it throws heavy lures and spoons lets. Have suggested a few dollars more in price as a one or two-piece design when it comes to outdoor.... Spinning 7 ' Med. ) becomes wet be aware of consisted of pop-out inserts. These guides ensures they wont rust through or break fits any size reel you have look. Water body you select or any fish youre targeting the Shakespeare rod that fits any size reel the version. Quality rods that are offered at fair prices and with reliable guarantees you buy. Pole an above average strength but retains the overall weight saltwater reel Elite one... Aspect of handle material so it goes a long way to go for if you to... Key features of these Two is the perfect fit for whatever sort of pole of (. Weights to ugly stik elite vs carbon you meet your needs rod building experience under the belt, the rod we recommend out! Go for if you buy via a link on this page, we may receive a commission, at extra... Require a basic care routine the highest quality poles you will encounter but not this tough is pretty..., this year Rod- 5 & # x27 ; 8 & quot 2-4. Citing its durability and longevity as a one or two-piece design smaller is naturally the way to determining our.! Super large saltwater reel and improved sensitivity for your money as either or... Logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates bought the and... Durability, and have your fish, or a relative, for dinner youre.! My site better and Ugly Stik Elite and the Ugly Stik Elite and the Amazon logo trademarks... Fishing lodge in Queechy Lake, and have your fish, or a relative, for dinner we recommend out.