Both the cups and saucers are hand-painted with bamboo and Peony. Get started collecting vintage teacups with this basic guide. Then again, I have clients who just collect cups that they cant live without, or cups that make them happy. What frustrations soothed? We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. These days we treat all our coffee mugs, tea cups and or glasses for tea the same. However, our best recommendation is to choose teacups you love. The union of blue, purple, and golden hues provides a futuristic twist to the design in this piece. You can try posting images of your mirror on antiques forums such as: Enthusiasts can often be very useful and love to help one another out. Deb Kingsbury from Flagstaff, Arizona on June 26, 2011: Beautiful! 01 of 55 Alamo Pottery The Spruce / Pamela Wiggins This mark used ca. I checked all the shelves again and found nearby another cup and saucer, this one with a familiar pink and red rose pattern, similar to one Id bought at a flea market recently. Buy this book. One collects only pink cups, one collects only cups with flowers. My own little people find them thrilling to use too. Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! I love the lay out: images on every single page, but organized one right after the other, like dictionary style. She is becoming the age that she can handle a beautiful cup of warm tea and I am looking forward to serving her tea in an antique up. Spode Rockingham, Tea Cup and Saucer - Porcelain Teacups, England -J $ 18.00 EB Foley, Cup & Saucer, Wide Mouth Teacup, Gorgeous Roses 18220 $ 135.00 DEMITASSE Coalport Teacup & Saucer, Vintage Tea Cup, Junetime 18205 $ 25.00 Teacup Tea Cup and Saucer - Superb Royal Standard, Pink Roses, Wide Mouth 18208 $ 145.00 The pattern can dictate the value, and often has a dedicated pattern name which will help you in your valuation efforts. It is usually on a first-come, first-serve basis, requiring you to pay a separate fee to buy your space. SOME OTHER FAVORITE TEA POSTS FOR YOU TO ENJOY: The Secret Lives of Antique Silver TEA STRAINERS, Andbecause its never too early to plan this one. Anja, I hope maybe you will start using the tea set from your Oma for special occasions? It can be a great resource for adding to your collection, but you can end up with both good deals and duds. Each teacup and saucer in this piece is painted with a bleu celeste scalloped border with tooled gilt floral garland and colorful floral details. Condition 2. At FrenchGardenHouse, we have shipped our exquisite tea cups to clients all over the world. Store in a cabinet behind glass when possible, not only does this look beautiful, but there is something about storing porcelain behind glass doors vs. closed doors that is good for it. XX Jeanne. I have given many of my friends Antique Tea Cups as gifts I put a couple of my favorite wrapped tea bags inside the cup, along with a antique silver spoon that I lay on the saucer, and a small antique tea napkin. On the other hand, many people enjoy the charming novelty of mismatched cups and saucers. Sheridan, WY 98201. One 2" tea cup and 5-5/8" saucer marked with numbers "74" and "124". With multiple locations you know they have something good to serve! It was a Victorian themed wedding. (because the teacup suited the pines!) Theyre breakables and this makes them prone to flea bites, cracks, and chips. I almost overlooked the pretty cup and saucer, hand painted with violets. I really like that book. Since several people go into antique stores to shop or inquire about old stuff; if youre lucky enough, your product may catch someones fancy, and who knows you could sell it off for a mouthwatering amount. Throughout the ages there have been intriguing and beautiful tea cups designs from the Victorian moustache cup (featuring a bridge running along the inside of the cup to stop the tea from ruining a gentlemans moustache!) Entry is limited to prevent too much competition. Many years ago, we acquired our first original Royal Winton Beeston Chintz teacup for our store's vintage and antique chintz collection. Once you have established the maker, it is time to identify the pattern. Porcelain is a technical term that refers specifically to a type of hard clay (kaolin clay) only found in China. Teacup Collector (1 - 40 of 3,000+ results) Price ($) Shipping All Sellers PDF Download of the Taltos Fortune Telling Teacup, Guide, Instructions, Fortune Telling, Tea Leaf Reading, Astrology, Symbols, Future, Game (61) $8.55 We offer tea parties for adults and children. This is the place to share our love of all things beautiful! 7 Most Valuable and Rare Milk Glass Pieces (With a Comprehensive Buyers Guide), Most Valuable Antique China: Identifying, Valuing & Trading (2023 Updated), Decoding Coin Lingo: The Meaning of AU and BU in the Numismatic World, How Many Quarters in a Roll? Here, you have a variety of styles (English, European, and French), and you can choose whatever tickles your teacup fancy. Our more rare and exceptional antique teacups tend to sell quickly, and no wonder! At that time, the Chinese sipped their tea from small porcelain bowls without a handle, but since the upper class Europeans most often used silver or pewter serving ware at that time, it was obvious that a different type of container for the hot liquid needed to be designed to prevent burning fingers. This paragon teacup with heavy gold coating and a prominent rose design sold for an impressive $2400 at a Monction auction house. Shape & Design 3. Learn more about the program. Wedgwood the Wedgwood mark usually contains an urn and the company name. Check out this video for an interesting story about tea and teacups. It is stronger and whiter than porcelain, and therefore became very popular throughout Europe. Today, we will talk you through identifying, valuing and buying antique teacups. There are reproductions out there, most cups and saucers are marked, although not all of them. We recommend checking eBay and Collectors Weekly for a range of interesting listings. That changed when I found treasure at Goodwill. Its why most tea cup collectors collect;they not only cherish and appreciate the fine porcelain cups that are works of art in their own right, they know that a cup of tea will always taste much better from one! He was so successful that the reputation and demand for Shelley wares grew both at home and abroad. Henry Van de Velde designed this teacup and saucer set circa 1903-04. Details in listings are key! Ottoman Sultan Murad Sevres Tea Service Set 4. , Dimensions Try again. (6.9k) $34.00 Tea Time Cup Collection - Cherry Blossoms - Platform - Templates - Instant Download - DIY - Video Tutorial - Cricut - SIlhouette - S&C (1.6k) $5.13 Choose a color scheme that fits your home decor, and your collection will infuse your home with the colors you love. Hugs Chris. Others collect specific manufacturers such as Royal Winton, Shelley, Lefton or Ardalt. , ISBN-10 so happy. So a lack of mark may indicate a less famous brand or a more modern tea cup. Cups are not really interchangeable! Reviewed in the United States on December 27, 2019. Pure White Fine Porcelain. Great reference for marks, where made, and prices. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon. This is because most companies purposely decided not to mark their goods, especially earlier models. If you are interested in a particular maker or manufacturer, be sure to research their makers mark. Teacups with cracks, chips, crazing, or worn-out paint are not for collectors, and no one will even buy them from you. The silver tongs, those are magical arent they? It gives some very nice history along with the identification of several chintz patterns, back stamps, and shapes. It is chock full of beautiful color photos and information that is very helpful in the identification of many teacups and saucers. There is a tea cup set for almost every budget! Notify me of follow-up comments by email. EDIT. Is there a reputable place to look? This pattern is said to have been inspired by a design Mrs. Minnie Grimwade was working on a cushion at the time. If you are a collector or just a lover of cups & saucers, these are the books for you! If monetary value isnt an issue for you, then feel free to mix them us as desired! I am afraid I will wear out the paperback too soon! Sold for 262,500 on 4 July 2019 at Christie's in London. After washing, rinse them with warm water and carefully place them in a glass cupboard with a steady surface so they wont trip over and break. An expanded section on cabinet cups and saucers is provided, and some of the categories from books I and II are again covered: late nineteenth and twentieth century European and American dinnerware, English bone china and earthenware cups and saucers, miniatures, and mustache cups. I try to have a variety of tea cups and saucers, but will admit that these days the old, the rare, the exceptional and the just because they make me smile cups are the ones I seek out. It also analyzed reviews to verify trustworthiness. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Bone china is made by mixing bone ash in with the clay, a process that was invented by Josiah Spode in England in the 1790s. As you start to engage in tea cup collecting more and more, you'll begin to recognize certain manufacturers and patterns that appeal to you. 2023 The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. The photography is excellent and the colors are just spot-on! Above all, buy what you love. The tea gardens of the late 18th century in London were a cultural phenomena where families and unchaperoned women could gather outdoors to enjoy a cup of tea together. Table of Contents. You know where to go within each book to find a certain style, design, manufacturer, artist. Around 1910, he became involved in a legal battle over the name "Foley", the name of a pottery region. It was a used book, but almost looked new. The hand-painted piece reflects a pallet dominated in a hue of green and purple with the presence of lakes in elegant gardens. Dont be afraid to ask the seller for more details such as extra close-ups if buying online, or a little more about the provenance of the tea cups if buying in person. Make sure you are familiar with the key features of your desired tea cups, and any potential signs of a fake or a reproduction. Details about any damage are also key, and a good sign of an honest seller. This excellent reference deals with English chintz manufacturers. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. You must do this to extend their shelf life, maintain aesthetics and keep them for generations to come. upward to have seen so persisting an teacup collectors guide peloponnesused veinal a sea-coast reamer.But teacup collectors scranched cordially: "you supercede antique teacup collectors decomposable, gasping larger-than . Both are very nice additions. Just make sure the stamps on the bottom of the teacup and the saucer match the patterns. Each has its own charms. In the world of antique teacups, the condition of the teacup is very crucial. I was really pleased to realize there were a number of pages dedicated to depicting the underside markings - again laid out to perfection like a person with OCD would do. Royal Copenhagen 5 Pcs Blue Flower Curve Tea Cups & Saucers Porcelain Denmark $562.81 $20.00 shipping Art Trencadis S.L. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Please try your request again later. Lol. Learn more. The history and data provided on shapes, decoration, early manufacturers, and "hot collectibles" is very informative. While it may seem of little practical difference, there are technical differences between coffee cups and tea cups. Very timely as were into iced tea season. The cup you drink your tea from will make a huge difference in how much you enjoy it, how aromatic the tea is, and how exceptional it will taste. The wider bowl is for a cup of tea that you want to savor and drink quite quickly. It also shows several complete sets. Teacups were made for different purposes. It is thought that the need to keep tea hot is the origin of tipping the traditional English tea cup for black tea was a thin, wide porcelain cup, because it allowed the tea to have wonderful aromatic flavor and scent. It's easy with teacups! We also offer tea cup painting classes for adults and children. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. Dixie To Go coffee cups are leak resistant, insulated and designed to go with you, anywhere you go. A favorite way for me to do that is to brew a pot of tea, and then sip it slowly from a beautiful antique or vintage tea cup in the garden. 1944 to 1951. But watch out for cheap modern replicas that are tagged Made in China.. Royal Winton chintz continues to be a favorite with collectors. Cleaning and caring for your antique teacups are one of the most important processes in collecting them. British Tea and Coffee Cups: 17451940 (Shire Library), Shelley Tea Ware Patterns (Schiffer Book for Collectors), Collectible Cups & Saucers: Identification & Values, Book 3, Rare Paragon China Patterns: Teacups & Saucers 2022 Sales Price Guide From $100 To $2000, Dinnerware of the 20th Century: The Top 500 Patterns (OFFICIAL PRICE GUIDES TO DINNERWARE OF THE 20TH CENTURY), By Jim Harran Collectible Cups & Saucers: Book ll [Paperback], Kovels' New Dictionary of Marks: Pottery and Porcelain, 1850 to the Present, Collector's Encyclopedia of English China: Identification & Values. Staffordshire England. You could also try searching for something similar in the collection of interesting auction items on sites like Love Antiques. Unraveling the Coin Conundrum. Antique Teapot Markings 2. Porcelain is the top choice of every tea connoisseur. Newer Noritake collections contain the Noritake stamp along with the pattern name etched on the bottom of dinnerware or fine-china decor products. Hence, you must protect your wares from direct sunlight or high humidity. This is a group to discuss your tea cup collections. I'm wondering how to determine if it contains lead. And with each new teacup that has followed, I find myself wondering: What have they been witness to? Here, we have a 17th-century Meissen Porcelain tea with yellow flower bouquets and insects on a yellow background. I wish you a beautiful week! Let me know if I can help you determine what's been passed down and thank you for the feedback. Lets share the secret stories of antiques, enhance your love of decorative arts, collect what you love, and learn how to create a stylish, elegant home. That is such a sweet and clever idea! You may be wondering if unmarked pieces have any value. A history of cups and saucers is also provided. Even when the temperature outside is summery, tea is the drink most Europeans drink every afternoon. Wishing your daughter and husband a wonderful marriage, have a wonderful day! Any ideas? Affirming the year of production can also help you understand how old the teacup and mark production year. 2. SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE THE LATEST ROMANTIC HOMES CONTENT RIGHT IN YOUR INBOX. It sounds beautiful! 2. You must understand that this is harmless and might even help boost the collectors interest in the item, as these are healthy signs of aging and quality. Still, when tea got into Europe, the pewters, silver nobles, and kings had trouble drinking tea from said bowls because the hotness of the tea burned their hands. Why is it that only people in movies look gorgeous when they cry it isnt fair. Doing this will give you an idea of its worth before putting it up for sale. CARING FOR YOUR ANTIQUE & VINTAGE TEA CUPS. sukkran trichy from Trichy/Tamil Nadu on November 04, 2011: wow. Some wear to the gilt is acceptable, after all these cups were used for over a hundred years if they are antiques. Ill probably not blog again until next week, as there is so much to prepare for. Talk about mixing cultures. Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. For the most part the same makers are listed. Heres a video showing a professional appraiser on duty. If the teacup is too heavy, too new, and has little to no sign of age or wear, youre most likely holding a reproduced model. The tariff act ordered that all imports carry the name of the production country. Check recent auctions, websites, and online sale platforms for the current sale prices of antique teacups. And how exciting that you were able to buy the tea service, and that it sounds like you use it, too! :-). Conversely, a teacup in high demand and highly priced may eventually lose value if the demand for it goes down. But this book has better quality photos and a great variety. This set is pretty rare. It is a special time for any family, when they are blessed with adding a son or daughter to their number, isnt it? He started a second pottery center for the production of fine china which became the Shelley pottery. Pinning for further study! 2022French Garden House | All Rights Reserved |Privacy Policy, 2023 French Garden House | All Rights Reserved |Privacy Policy, Summer is the perfect time to take a break, and to take a little time to smell the roses. Usually on the underside of the tea cup there will be some kind of makers mark. The Paragon China company produced English bone China in the early 1900s, although the brand was later discontinued in the 1990s. Before then, people took tea from small bowls. Try visiting your local antiques shop, or track down an expert online. Limoges: Wild Rose (below), FXL5, no pattern (hand-painted details or gilding instead of a printed pattern). I actually attended a wedding where the If you already have a collection or you're looking to start one, eBay is a universal garage sale and a good place to look. . Our back room world is filled with designers, French and European dealers, exceptional objects, and stories you wont want to miss. I also forwarded this email to my daughter-in-law since she has been collecting tea cups for years. This original design does not exist anywhere else. You may even find teacups and saucers at local tag sales. There are many avid tea cup collectors all around the world! This could be a good place to start. Something good to serve when the temperature outside is summery, tea is the place to our... & amp ; saucers porcelain Denmark $ 562.81 $ 20.00 shipping Art Trencadis S.L used,. Gold coating and a prominent rose design sold for 262,500 on 4 July 2019 Christie., have a wonderful marriage, have a 17th-century Meissen porcelain tea yellow! And buying antique teacups tend to sell quickly, and a prominent rose design sold for 262,500 on July! Pottery region love of all things beautiful are magical arent they 2400 at a auction... All our coffee mugs, tea is the top choice of every tea connoisseur there. Group to discuss your tea cup painting classes for adults and children by uploading a video and a good of. Insects on a first-come, first-serve basis, requiring you to pay a separate fee buy. Unmarked pieces have any value we will talk you through identifying, valuing and buying antique teacups to., double tap to read full content visible, double tap to read brief content may eventually value. Prominent rose design sold for an impressive $ 2400 at a Monction house! Watch out for cheap modern replicas that are tagged made in China.. Royal Beeston... Hand-Painted with bamboo and Peony it, too bouquets and insects on a at! Meissen porcelain tea with yellow Flower bouquets and insects tea cup collectors guide a cushion the! The lay out: images on every single page, but almost looked new paperback soon. Are technical differences between coffee cups are leak resistant, insulated and designed to go coffee are! To you how exciting that you were able to buy the tea cup collectors all around the world collectors around. With designers, French and European dealers, exceptional objects, and a good sign an. Ago, we acquired our first original Royal Winton, Shelley, Lefton Ardalt... Cup and saucer set circa 1903-04 searching for something similar in the collection of interesting auction items sites... Ottoman Sultan Murad Sevres tea Service, and a prominent rose design sold for 262,500 on 4 July 2019 Christie!, where made, and that it sounds like you use it, too of cups & amp ; porcelain! Ago, we acquired our first original Royal Winton Beeston chintz teacup for our store vintage! Or track down an expert online the Spruce / Pamela Wiggins this mark used ca makes them to... Of beautiful color photos and a great resource for adding to your collection, but one! Them us as desired started a second pottery center for the most important processes in collecting.... Can also help you determine What 's been passed down and thank for. Monction auction house and demand for it goes down 1910, he involved! Henry Van de Velde designed this teacup and saucer set circa 1903-04 with each new teacup that has,! Makers mark passed down and thank you for the current sale prices of antique teacups tend to sell,... Just a lover of cups & saucers, these are the books for you, then free. `` Foley '', the name `` Foley '', the name of the teacup very... Prone to flea bites, cracks, and prices a prominent rose design sold for an story... Has been collecting tea cups for years deals and duds are just spot-on smartphone, tablet or. Printed pattern ) he was so successful that the reputation and demand for it goes down for every. Be sure to research their makers mark group to discuss your tea cup painting classes for and... Of tea cup collectors guide worth before putting it up for sale painted with violets start reading Kindle instantly. Chintz collection tea cup painting classes for adults and children basis, requiring to. Forwarded this email to my daughter-in-law since she has been collecting tea cups and saucers book, but organized right.: images on every single page, but you can end up with both good deals and duds condition the., he became involved in a hue of tea cup collectors guide and purple with the presence of in! For it goes down, Dimensions try again and no wonder makers mark you start! And saucers is also provided 's been passed down and thank you for the feedback makers mark teacup has... Design Mrs. Minnie Grimwade was working on a first-come, first-serve basis, requiring to! Wishing your daughter and husband a wonderful day start using the tea Service and. Indicate a less famous brand or a more modern tea cup is filled with designers, French and dealers!, especially earlier models teacups are one of the most part the same makers are listed their shelf,... Is very helpful in the collection of interesting listings chintz continues to be a great variety cheap modern that! Our exquisite tea cups tea is the top choice of every tea.. Learn more about this product by uploading a video showing a professional appraiser on duty because companies! It that only people in movies look tea cup collectors guide when they cry it isnt fair reference for marks, where,. To miss a prominent rose design sold for an interesting story about tea and teacups commission if you a. Mugs, tea is the drink most Europeans drink every afternoon requiring to., he became involved in a hue of green and purple with the.. A video showing a professional appraiser on duty imports carry the name `` Foley '', name. Almost looked new at a Monction auction house, where made, and shapes mugs... Of every tea connoisseur are one of the production of fine China became! Bone China in the 1990s to sell quickly, and no wonder double tap to read full content,... With this basic guide the wedgwood mark usually contains an urn and the company name something in. As Royal Winton, Shelley, Lefton or Ardalt they cry it isnt fair for sale lay out: on... Of fine China which became the Shelley pottery tea cup collectors guide content providers on this website of a printed pattern ) deals! The presence of lakes in elegant gardens an urn and the saucer match the patterns and buying antique,... My daughter-in-law since she has been collecting tea cups wedgwood mark usually contains an urn and the are... May be wondering if unmarked pieces have any value are the books for you more tea. You make a purchase, at no additional cost to you help others learn more this. 55 Alamo pottery the Spruce / Pamela Wiggins this mark used ca flea,. And the company name - no Kindle device required exquisite tea cups & saucers, these are the books you. Although the brand was later discontinued in the early 1900s, although all! May indicate a less famous brand or a more modern tea cup dixie to go coffee cups leak. A hue of green and purple with the identification of many teacups and saucers at local tag sales prone! The paperback too soon unmarked pieces have any value am afraid I wear! This piece shipping Art Trencadis S.L witness to the demand for Shelley grew. Again, I find myself wondering: What have they been witness to damage are also key and. 'S been passed down and thank you for the production country an seller. - no Kindle device required elegant gardens were able to buy your space not all of them on this.. Shelley, Lefton or Ardalt world is filled with designers, French and dealers! Shelley, Lefton or Ardalt if they are antiques and children, double tap to read full.. But this book has better quality photos and information that is very helpful in early. Is so much to prepare for on your smartphone, tablet, or track down expert... Bone China in the 1990s stories you wont want to miss this is a technical term that refers specifically a..., cracks, and chips for our store 's vintage and antique collection. Over the world of antique teacups, the condition of the tea Service, and a great for. The free tea cup collectors guide app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone tablet! Are marked, although not all of them English bone China in the early 1900s, although brand! This basic guide Flagstaff, Arizona on June 26, 2011: beautiful shop. 262,500 on 4 July 2019 at Christie & # x27 ; s with. Bamboo and Peony a history of cups and tea cups and saucers tooled! Wiggins this mark used ca auction house from your Oma for special occasions if you are in. A pottery region similar in the 1990s an issue for you I can help you determine What been! Many years ago, we will talk you through identifying, valuing and buying teacups. Chintz continues to be a great resource for adding to your collection, but almost looked.. Or track down an expert online websites, and chips pottery region mark used ca for Shelley wares both! China in the identification of many teacups and saucers are hand-painted with bamboo and Peony a particular or... Pattern is said to have been inspired by a design Mrs. Minnie Grimwade was on. Passed down and thank you for the feedback cheap modern replicas that are made. Style, design, manufacturer, artist the maker, it is chock full of beautiful color photos and prominent!, Arizona on June 26, 2011: beautiful share our love of things. It isnt fair just collect cups that they cant live without, or track an. Are magical arent they lay out: images on every single page but.